: 1999 Deville Blower Motor burn out

Dlewis
12-16-12, 10:41 PM
I am having an issue with a possible electrical short an it is effecting my blower motor. I recently replaced my blower module/ motor almost a year to date and it burn up again? Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

komobu
12-18-12, 06:52 AM
Very often the blower motor draws too many amps and that burns out the resister/module. I work as a tech and I always check amp draw of the blower motor when replacing the resister/module. More often than not, I replace them in pairs. Also check your cabin air filter. If it is clogged up with debris, then the fan motor will work harder and run hotter consuming more amps and ultimately result in frying the Resister / Module.

Dlewis
12-18-12, 08:02 PM
I will try that. Thank You for your help.

Dlewis
12-19-12, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know if in fact the BCM controls the climate control module in specific the speed regulation of the main blower.
I have pulled a few " History " codes IPC B1552 & PZM B1558
My trip gauge keeps clearing after setting a while, checked battery connection and cleaned terminals. So two problems in one question I guess.
I have read a lot of threads in all relation to these. As well as my blower motor burning up for a second time. Any help w

rodnok01
12-20-12, 11:02 PM
Those codes basically say you lost power at some point in time. Yes the BCM controls hvac, but never heard of on causing a blower to go out. Probably another bad blower, cheapo aftermarket??

Dlewis
12-20-12, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the input... I am new to this and am trying to do what I can just save some money. Cadi was handed down to me with low miles... Just trying to fix what comes up. But this really has me boggled. I spoke to a mechanic at a cadi dealer and I asked about throwing in a fuse just to save the motor and sensitive computer board. He said that would work for a short time, obviously doesn't correct the problem, but then I mentioned the BCM and he said that might be somewhere to take a good look at as well... So he really didn't say yes or no? Final words from the man. I could take a look at it but it is going to cost me $80.00 an hour. I told him that is what I expected to hear.
I have traced and re traced other than really tearing everything apart. I have to drive it still. So I don't think having my dash panel torn apart is going to benefit me at this point.

WWlll
12-27-12, 08:22 AM
I'd try replacing what's called the blower motor module...I had the same issue with a 87 fleetwood de'elegancs..with the numeric dash..was a 10 buck fix..once installed on the blower box all the climate control functions came into play.. went two seasons before I had I had to replace the blower motor..checked fuses relays and grounds before I tripped headfirst over that part...good luck!!

----------

Oh I see you have replaced the blower motor module

vitovent
12-27-12, 11:42 AM
On a 99, there is a silver box, under the passenger side dash, tucked in behind the vaccum "splinter" ..its the "A/C Programmer" ..it sends the signal to the blower motor, by varying the voltage on the middle wire at the blower, to control fan speed. Check for voltage change on the middle wire, while switching speeds on the mode controls for the HVAC system. A "lo" fan speed should send about a 10 VDC signal on the middle wire...a "hi" fan speed sends about a 2.5 VDC signal on the middle wire.

If your getting changes in voltage, on the middle wire, while its still hooked up to the blower, as you change mode settings on the HVAC controls, then you know your "A/C Programmer" is working fine.

If you are getting no change in voltage, or no voltage at all, on the middle wire, then it may be the "programmer".

9 times out of 10, its the blower motor itself