: How do you release your navigation disk from the headunit?

FlipEXT
12-16-12, 04:32 PM
I have tried to eject my DVD from the unit to replace it but have been unsuccessful.... Any thoughts...

the cadillac man
12-16-12, 09:13 PM
I have tried to eject my DVD from the unit to replace it but have been unsuccessful.... Any thoughts...

Is the eject mechanism marketing any noise when the button is pressed I know mine does make some noise as it takes in and ejects discs

FlipEXT
12-16-12, 10:57 PM
No, it is not making any noises. It simply won't eject. It's really weird. My cd changed works fine, it's just the nav DVD that is giving me problems...

the cadillac man
12-17-12, 01:21 AM
No, it is not making any noises. It simply won't eject. It's really weird. My cd changed works fine, it's just the nav DVD that is giving me problems...

Sounds like the motor in the radio is dead which means it will have to be repaired
The cd changer is powered separately from the radio

Also does the disc in the radio load or not if not then the whole DVD drive in the radio will have to be replaced.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-17-12, 04:23 PM
FlipEXT, what is the model year on your Escalade? I'd be happy to check my resources for any relevant information, if you don't mind sending me an email with the last eight of your VIN. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

FlipEXT
12-22-12, 06:29 AM
Sorry guys for the late response. Just an FYI it will be 3900 to swap radios at the dealership.....smh. Not what I asked Santa for Christmas........Katie, I will email you the info later today. Thank you.

6lbsofSound
12-22-12, 08:54 AM
It was 3900 at the dealership? Or 390? The motors for the mechanism are a known problem. You can either send out the unit to be repaired or replace it with one from eBay or get a reman.

FlipEXT
12-22-12, 11:16 AM
$3900!!!! For the swap. They said they would replace the radio and take mine. Bad deal...

the cadillac man
12-22-12, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys for the late response. Just an FYI it will be 3900 to swap radios at the dealership.....smh. Not what I asked Santa for Christmas........Katie, I will email you the info later today. Thank you.

Flip man you could have got the DVD drive by itself for a lot less money(trust me I know) I had to do this on my rear seat DVD entertainment system(and I got to keep the old DVD drive) next time this happens find a good local repair shop(its cheaper then the dealer it is 1300 for the whole unit for the rear seat entrainment system
and the bad part is they just trash the old radio and it never gets repaired(which is a waste)

flyingdutchman
12-23-12, 01:16 AM
Give a call to these guys

Specmo Enterprises
1200 E Avis Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071
(800) 545-7910

the cadillac man
12-23-12, 02:38 AM
Give a call to these guys

Specmo Enterprises
1200 E Avis Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071
(800) 545-7910

Luckily for me I know a guy in my area that works on this stuff no way am I paying that much for the radio when I can either refurbish it myself or have someone repair it cheaper(repair is still the cheaper option that is unless you have the new super nav system but its a third gen body style feature)

6lbsofSound
12-23-12, 07:24 AM
Specmo is the way to go for a refurb.

I can't believe the dealer want close to 4g to swap the unit. I would not go back to them for anything if they gave me a quote like that.

the cadillac man
12-23-12, 01:04 PM
Specmo is the way to go for a refurb.

I can't believe the dealer want close to 4g to swap the unit. I would not go back to them for anything if they gave me a quote like that.

I agree that dealer ripped him off big time

FlipEXT
12-23-12, 10:05 PM
I agree the quote was outrageous, I don't plan on going that route at all. The disk in the unit works but I just wanted to upgrade it to the most current. Maybe one day the disk will eject and all will be well. until then it will just stay in there!

6lbsofSound
12-24-12, 12:13 AM
That way works too, who knows maybe 50 cycles or so with the ignition might get it to work. I had to do that with my old unit. I tried like 20 times before it ejected.

the cadillac man
12-24-12, 12:28 AM
That way works too, who knows maybe 50 cycles or so with the ignition might get it to work. I had to do that with my old unit. I tried like 20 times before it ejected.

You do know that the radio has a non switched feed the key only works the data bus on and off but if it works its worth a try

6lbsofSound
12-24-12, 12:59 AM
It still cycles through the data bus when you start the car to make sure the VINs match and tells the radio what amp it's connected to and what features it has. It may not be a 12v hot based on the ignition switch but yes it still does cycle just through a different way of doing it. If the radio did not cycle then you could easily swap radios and have no reason to goto the dealer to have the radio do a VIN re-learn. There is a TSB that explains this as this a pretty common problem that results in no sound or sound and no functions on the radio. I just went through the same issue with my old nav unit. After 20 starts the DVD finally ejected. So yet it does cycle.

the cadillac man
12-24-12, 01:13 AM
It still cycles through the data bus when you start the car to make sure the VINs match and tells the radio what amp it's connected to and what features it has. It may not be a 12v hot based on the ignition switch but yes it still does cycle just through a different way of doing it. If the radio did not cycle then you could easily swap radios and have no reason to goto the dealer to have the radio do a VIN re-learn. There is a TSB that explains this as this a pretty common problem that results in no sound or sound and no functions on the radio. I just went through the same issue with my old nav unit. After 20 starts the DVD finally ejected. So yet it does cycle.

I know it pulses a full 12 volt then drops down to a varying voltage after

my rear seat DVD player made my radio and amp among a few other things go crazy(abs module for one) when it got messed up(seeing the Delphi logo when you haven't removed the fuse or unplugged the radio isn't something I like to have happen

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-24-12, 09:50 AM

Thank you for the email, Flip! Our office is closed for the holidays tomorrow (12/25) so I will report on my findings Wednesday when I have been able to exhaust my resources. If this inconveniences you, I do apologize. For immediate assistance in the meantime, please contact Cadillac Customer Assistance Center (800-458-8006, regular hours 8am to 9pm EST).

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service