: My new caddy...

1swtrid
12-23-04, 10:35 PM
Hey ya'll

I just bought a 93 Eldo w/ the 4.6 NS and was wondering how and where to start my project. What exhaust systems do you guys recommend? I'd like to go for a true dual exhust system, but does this pose back pressure problems? Also are there any quick easy tricks on these motors? Thanks everyone.

danbuc
12-23-04, 10:50 PM
Dual exhaust is not really an option for these cars. The reason is that the pipe leading from the exhaust header in the front to the Y collector goes in between the tranny and engine. This is because there isn't any room left anywhere else. As far as simple tricks, there really isn't any. You can swap out the mufflers and get a bigger Y pipe in the back to add some more power. There are quite a few people on this forum that have done this. You can also get a high stall torque converter for your tranny. This will make the most of the N*'s power. You can also get a chip for your car, but there have been mixed reviews on that. Good Luck with your new car, and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
12-24-04, 12:56 AM
Also are there any quick easy tricks on these motors?

run it wide open..... often

1swtrid
12-24-04, 01:41 AM
well thanks guys
-rick that was the most useful piece of info yet

an01sts
12-24-04, 03:50 AM
Yeah, if you weasel under the car, you'll see what danbuc says. Also, even though it would look like crap, if ran a set of duals, it would be illegale. People say so what? Well, it's a felony, it carries a $25,000 fine, and they destory your car.

I don't know how restrictive your air box is, but I modified my air box, and for a free modification, it gave me a boost throughout the power band. An increase in low torque through redline power, is hard to get from any modification, and to get it for free, minus the slight decrease in mileage, the slight increase in power isn't anything to sneeze at.

The run it hard and run it hard often isn't a joke as to performance upgrades. If you don't run them hard and often, they load up with carbon, and the exaust loads up with crap, futher restircting the engine. If you kick it and the smoke blows out like a smoke bomb, keep kicking it, and it the smoke will clear up.

Another thing is oil. They use a lot, so you'll have to stayed glued to the dipstick. Change the oil every 3k and use the lightest weight that is recommended for your car.

1swtrid
12-24-04, 02:27 PM
an01sts-

how would it be illegal, just SMOG reasons or bc of some other law?

outlaw1369
12-24-04, 03:25 PM
Why is a dual exahaut conversion illegal? As long as you use 2-cat converters (one for each exhaust bank) I don't see how this can be illegal at least not in my state - NY

1swtrid
12-25-04, 07:57 PM
thats what i thought too....