: condensation in fog light

the cadillac man
12-15-12, 11:56 PM
I noticed lately that my passenger side fog light has condensation and a bit of water in it
What can cause this?

I had the truck washed today before I went to pick up my replacement DVD player and didn't notice it till I got home and seen it I thought it might have got in there at the wash

I removed the bulb (which is a hid) to make sure there was no water on it before I turned them on to let the bulb heat the housing up In hopes of it drying out the housing but no luck

I am going to see if the warranty is good to see if I can get a replacement if not I will just buy a new one

rfishoutofwater
12-16-12, 12:37 AM
Not uncommon. I had to replace both of mine due to the lens coming apart from the housing. I paid like 60 for a pair.

the cadillac man
12-16-12, 02:26 AM
Not uncommon. I had to replace both of mine due to the lens coming apart from the housing. I paid like 60 for a pair.

Is this caused by my hid bulbs or not(I doubt it though as both would be doing it)

rfishoutofwater
12-16-12, 02:29 PM
No more than likely the seal on the cover is failing allowing moisture in. Eventually it can fill with water and blow a bulb.

Black88GTA
12-16-12, 03:43 PM
Before replacing it, I'd try removing it, taking out the bulb, and drying it out with a hairdryer. Then put a bead of silicone around where the lens is bonded to the housing.

the cadillac man
12-16-12, 08:12 PM
No more than likely the seal on the cover is failing allowing moisture in. Eventually it can fill with water and blow a bulb.

Not good considering how these hid bulbs shatter

----------

Before replacing it, I'd try removing it, taking out the bulb, and drying it out with a hairdryer. Then put a bead of silicone around where the lens is bonded to the housing.

Ok I will try that as soon as the rain lets up

It didn't seem to be coming from the lens area but the bulb area but I will take the extra precaution and put some silicone around the lens

jnrsesv
12-16-12, 10:04 PM

Thats what I did, hell of alot better than spending $$ on replacement fog lamp assemblies.

*NOTE* Use clear silicone to adhere lens to fog lamp housing. I had some black RTV laying around the first time, and it kinda gooed into the housing. I had to remove the lens and reseal with clear silicone and looks just like new.

the cadillac man
12-17-12, 12:22 AM
Thats what I did, hell of alot better than spending $$ on replacement fog lamp assemblies.

*NOTE* Use clear silicone to adhere lens to fog lamp housing. I had some black RTV laying around the first time, and it kinda gooed into the housing. I had to remove the lens and reseal with clear silicone and looks just like new.

Ok I will try to remove the housing and do that tomorrow.

spirit man
06-04-13, 01:47 AM
Ok I will try to remove the housing and do that tomorrow.

Did you give this a try? I got a brand spanking new pair of TYC fog lights. After the first rain they were in, there was mad condensation on the inside. I would hate to go through the hassle of buying another pair when I could get this resolved. I too have 880 HID bulbs as well. Should I just run some clear silicone on the outside or do i need to take the fog lights off and run some water in it to check for leakage?

the cadillac man
06-04-13, 07:36 AM
Did you give this a try? I got a brand spanking new pair of TYC fog lights. After the first rain they were in, there was mad condensation on the inside. I would hate to go through the hassle of buying another pair when I could get this resolved. I too have 880 HID bulbs as well. Should I just run some clear silicone on the outside or do i need to take the fog lights off and run some water in it to check for leakage?

I ended up not needing to as there was dirt on the bulb base I cleaned it and haven't had this happen since

spirit man
06-04-13, 11:09 AM
Well shoot...I'll have to play with mine after work.