: Entire front axle gone?? HELP

washow
12-15-12, 03:02 PM
07 Escalade with 48k on it. A strange noise started from the front passenger side wheel area, just like a spring being stretched out, so I took it to the dealership and dropped it off yesterday.
Today, I got a phone call from the service guy saying that "something must've fallen off" and that the entire freaking front axle has to be replaced and billed me at over $6k. What the hell is going on here??

It's a 5 year old car with 48k miles on it. How can a major part like a drive system fail so bad that it needs the entire thing replaced?

Ghost Deany
12-15-12, 08:50 PM
something must of fallen off?

sdgc
12-15-12, 10:23 PM
is that part of the driveline/powertrain warranty? This doesnt seem right.......

hcvone
12-16-12, 07:12 AM
What is the build date on the door? A 2007 Escalade could have been built as long ago as Feb 2006 putting way past the warranty. It sould like the gear oil level was never checked and probably had little to no fluid remaining causing the diff to fail, we have had a few at our shop. The diff fluids should be changed at least at every 25k miles, I change mine at 10k because of the small size of our diffs

cadmanchris
12-16-12, 01:19 PM
What is the build date on the door? A 2007 Escalade could have been built as long ago as Feb 2006 putting way past the warranty. It sould like the gear oil level was never checked and probably had little to no fluid remaining causing the diff to fail, we have had a few at our shop. The diff fluids should be changed at least at every 25k miles, I change mine at 10k because of the small size of our diffs

Very true, but if it is the front diff, it doesn't justify a $6k price tag. A cash front diff overhaul costs about $2k.

hcvone
12-17-12, 07:09 AM
Very true, but if it is the front diff, it doesn't justify a $6k price tag. A cash front diff overhaul costs about $2k.

2k at the most :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-17-12, 11:39 AM
Washow, I'd be happy to confirm your warranty expiration dates and contact your dealer to follow up! Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN, and I can research on your behalf. I'm very sorry you've been frustrated so far, and I can also document dealer feedback if you wish!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service