: O2 Sensors

olddavid
12-15-12, 12:22 PM
Can someone smarter than me explain how the price of Oxygen sensors can vary from $20-200? The locals want $140, so I went to eBay and was shocked by the variation. My previous experience has been that the cheapest seems to do fine, as I got a DIS for $60 that has gone 10k miles w/o problem. How have you fared with these low-priced pieces?

investor74
12-15-12, 01:20 PM
Can someone smarter than me explain how the price of Oxygen sensors can vary from $20-200? The locals want $140, so I went to eBay and was shocked by the variation. My previous experience has been that the cheapest seems to do fine, as I got a DIS for $60 that has gone 10k miles w/o problem. How have you fared with these low-priced pieces?''

I think if you buy those "universal" O2 sensors that you have to splice the wires you can save, but it is more work. The plug compatible ones are more expensive, especially from the local parts stores or dealer - I bought one online for about $80 as I recall (long time ago).

nethic
12-21-12, 12:00 AM
I have to replace mine as well, and I'm wondering how many o2 censors does the catera have?two pre cat and two post cat ? or just two pre cat ? I have found some on ebay for 24$CAD (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180967861282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3450wt_1165) and am also wondering what the main difference in prices means? more millage? better 'o2' sensing capabilities? I'd like to understand this before going and potentially wasting fifty or sixty bucks.

Also, what size pipe diameter is the stock catalytic converters ? I have found some decent cats on ebay but in the service manuals I have it doesn't specify the diameter of the pipe

marko69
12-21-12, 07:07 AM
That's a great price for a direct fit O2 sensor, I'll be buying one tonight. Same one's are on the US ebay.

olddavid
12-21-12, 10:00 PM
The sensors from PrimeAuto are direct plug - no splice needed. I ordered them and will let the forum know how they worked out. Thanks for the input and advice. Dave

nethic
12-27-12, 02:12 PM
Would bad o2 sensors kick on the check engine light ? my catalytic converters are getting red hot at the ends of them and I smell carbons after I turn it off and pop the hood and when I look under the ends of the cats going to the resonator are red hot and smoking, I'm almost positive my o2 sensors are bad and its burning to much fuel, hell 10$ lasts me 2 hours or so driving around

let me know what you guys think about this or what it sounds like could be wrong

investor74
12-27-12, 06:22 PM
Would bad o2 sensors kick on the check engine light ? my catalytic converters are getting red hot at the ends of them and I smell carbons after I turn it off and pop the hood and when I look under the ends of the cats going to the resonator are red hot and smoking, I'm almost positive my o2 sensors are bad and its burning to much fuel, hell 10$ lasts me 2 hours or so driving around

let me know what you guys think about this or what it sounds like could be wrong

Bad O2 sensors can definitely cause a CEL. A good starting point is to read the codes. If you don't have a code reader, I would recommend buying one. It makes a great Christmas gift for a Catera owner. Or, I understand that some auto stores will read the code for free.

Bad O2 sensors can cause you to use slightly more gas because a good sensor might have told the injectors to run a bit leaner when warmed up. Don't know about the red hot business, all exhaust components get very hot.

nethic
12-27-12, 06:39 PM
I was told by a friend of mine (has owned 3 caddies in his life) that the catalytic's are clogged and that's why the ends are getting red hot and i'm burning so much fuel in so little time.

I plan to buy a code reader, the shop I know charges $50 for it.

Thanks for your insight

marko69
12-27-12, 07:30 PM
If you have a laptop and can wait, you can get a code reader on ebay for about $13. Search ELM327. Some of the listings have free software, but you can always go here for a free program.
http://www.scantool.net/scantool/downloads/archive/diagnostic-software/
I have an ELM327 and this free software and it works great! You can read the codes, reset the check engine light, and see realtime data from some of the sensors (including the O2 sensors).

nethic
12-27-12, 07:39 PM
Sounds good to me didn't know USB/Serial dongles where available for this year.

ELM327 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ELM327-V1-5-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/380543871816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589a2eab48&_uhb=1#ht_4148wt_1399) looks pretty cheap. I'll have fun getting it to work with Linux :P

Also where do I plug this bad boy in at ?

investor74
12-27-12, 08:10 PM
The OBDII connector is directly below the steering wheel.

nethic
12-27-12, 08:40 PM
Awesome information, Thank you very much, I'm getting one of these bad boys for sure now. I love seeing live stats from computers, and now that I know my Catera has a OBDII port and sensors to be read I'm very excited to start hacking my car :) (literally) I'm going to dump as much firmware images from the ECU/TCM and any and all information I can gleam from this vehicle

Also where is the ECU/TCM located are they like the OBDII port?under the steering wheel?