: Talk me out of it... or not.

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 11:24 AM
So as many of you know I currently drive an E46 BMW 323i which I really, really love. However I have an urge to purchase another Seville STS for some reason. I can't really describe it but I really loved mine and I think about that car quite a bit. I've already put a decent amount of money into the BMW but not so much that I would loose my ass completely. There are a few Seville's on AutoTrader that look decent but I'm not sure if I should even bother with another one. I did spend quite a bit of money on mine, but I've recently become more of a DIY'er (thanks to the BMW) and I doubt I would spend as much money at the dealership and do a lot more of the work myself making the car less expensive over time.

Thoughts?

vincentm
12-15-12, 11:45 AM
Whatever one you have an eye on, require a blocktest and say you wanna be pesent when its done.

Ranger
12-15-12, 11:49 AM
Don't buy anything older than 2000. Preferably '04+.

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 11:49 AM
Oh I know all about the headgasket info... I wouldn't even think of buying another Northstar without checking it over with a fine tooth comb first. I was really lucky with my last STS because it had already had the heads done and been timeserted when I bought it. I think the issue I'm having now is finding a decent car. There is a lot of junk out there.

Submariner409
12-15-12, 11:50 AM
STS - driver's door sticker build date of 02/02 or later: The last and greatest STS versions. As opposed to AutoTrader I would ask a GM dealer salesman to get on their used/trade-in network and find you a creampuff. It can be done. The Forums are full of horror and fairy stories about onlined cars - the worst and the best; it's a crapshoot.

In any event, arm yourself with your Seville bag of tricks and leave your checkbook at home when you go for the test drive/tire kick. You know these cars - don't buy one sight unseen.

Greenville ????? Call Chris at Rippy Cadillac - you know damn well that he gets feelers here and there.

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 11:51 AM
Don't buy anything older than 2000. Preferably '04+.

Ranger, you have always been an excellent source of knowledge for me on these forums. Between you and Sub I can't tell you how many times I saved money on my Seville. But if there was one thing I learned early from these forums... don't touch a Northstar older than 2000. I'm pretty much limiting my search to 2000-2004. I would also consider an SLS if it was in good shape. I'd actually prefer it because I wouldn't have to deal with the CVRSS suspension.

STS - driver's door sticker build date of 02/02 or later: The last and greatest STS versions. As opposed to AutoTrader I would ask a GM dealer salesman to get on their network and find you a creampuff. It can be done. The Forums are full of horror and fairy stories about onlined cars - the worst and the best; it's a crapshoot.

I actually did that when I was looking for these cars back in April after the wreck and I called my local dealership with this info... they basically blew me off. Nobody is interested in these cars anymore and the ones that are available online are junk or overpriced. With the sale of the BMW and some other money I have coming, I'd have about $8k or so to spend. Comfortably I'd like to spend around $7k, with the extra money in savings for a fund with the inevitable issue arises.

gary88
12-15-12, 11:53 AM
Have you driven a Seville again since buying the 3er?

Submariner409
12-15-12, 11:55 AM
^^^ Yeah, check it out. The STS blows away the Beemer......:rolleyes:

............. The dealer thing - I dunno - once in a while I see a pristine 2002+ STS at Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis. Matter of fact, they have a nice 2000 STS right now - silver with 77,000 miles for $7200. It's at the Frederick, MD lot, but they'll bring it to Annapolis free.

www.fitzmall.com
(http://www.fitzmall.com)

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 12:02 PM
Have you driven a Seville again since buying the 3er?

Gary you bring up something I have thought about a lot. I honestly haven't because I'm thinking that since owning a car like the 3, I don't even know if I would like the Seville anymore. Another issue I have here is that I have spent about $1300 on the BMW and I have a new suspension waiting to be installed now so I would loose money on the car. Plus, I really love it. Problem is, I love Seville's too.

I would test drive one just to remember how it drives, but there are none locally.

----------

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/file-11.jpg

vs.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/IMG_1629.jpg

I love them both equally. They both have good points in favor of them.

vincentm
12-15-12, 12:12 PM
Personally between the two, the Seville just plain has sexier lines to it but that just my opinion. Plus the wreath n Crest is cooler lookin lol

gary88
12-15-12, 12:21 PM
When my sister still had her Seville (which used to be mine :D) and I'd drive it every so often to get gas or whatever, I always noticed how it felt like I was driving something the size of a school bus compared to my car. It made me realize I actually prefer smaller cars. And now that she has a 1 series it makes my car feel kind of big in comparison :suspense:

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 12:26 PM
Haha that's the way I feel with my grandfather's '06 Impala SS when driving it. That Seville was so much more comfortable than the Impala though so I could overlook it based on that alone. Plus it rode like a cloud and the stereo was the best I've ever heard.

But the handling of that E46 is next to nothing. I can whip that thing around corners and when I put the suspension on in a few weeks I can't imagine how much better it will be. Plus, I've taken care of most of the big issues with the E46 like water pump, fuel pump, control arms, shocks/struts, etc. It doesn't use any oil, gets up to 32MPG on the highway, and is really easy to work on.

Submariner409
12-15-12, 12:35 PM
You just talked yourself into keeping the Beemer. (a bird in the hand ................)

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 12:42 PM
You would think so, but I still thinking about Seville's often. Honestly I need to go drive one again and see if the magic is still there. If so, there would be no doubts about it: the BMW would be up for sale.

Submariner409
12-15-12, 01:51 PM
Keep in mind that the 2002.5 - 2003 STS is a VERY different breed of cat from the previous offerings.

drewsdeville
12-15-12, 04:38 PM
This isn't meant to be an insult...but it sounds like you don't know what you want. You are talking about two polar opposites (grandpa's smooth big Cadillac and the smaller/sportier, most popular midlife crisis purchase ever), you like them both, but neither satsifies you enough to really be a winner.

Based on that, I say you whip up a little courage, be adventurous, and try something different than both. You seem to have the right attitude to support it, and I'm sure you'd be surprised and could be happy with a lot of other offerings out there.

Jesda
12-15-12, 04:41 PM
After three dozen cars over the last decade and a half of driving, the Seville is still my favorite sedan. The E46 is my favorite coupe.

ryannel2003
12-15-12, 07:51 PM
This isn't meant to be an insult...but it sounds like you don't know what you want. You are talking about two polar opposites (grandpa's smooth big Cadillac and the smaller/sportier, most popular midlife crisis purchase ever), you like them both, but neither satsifies you enough to really be a winner.

Based on that, I say you whip up a little courage, be adventurous, and try something different than both. You seem to have the right attitude to support it, and I'm sure you'd be surprised and could be happy with a lot of other offerings out there.

It's not that I don't know what I want, it's more that I like both quite a lot and don't know which I like better. I like the smooth ride of the Cadillac, but I love the handling of the BMW. I probably should have bought an E39 5 Series, which is a good combination of both. At this point, I'm going to keep the BMW. It's cheaper to maintain and easier to work on. Plus, I'm nearly done with the maintenance I want to complete on it.

Jesda
12-16-12, 12:04 AM
E39 can get a but expensive to maintain and it doesn't quite have the Seville's level of comfort and luxury.

I'm at the auto auction a couple times a week driving everything from late-model AMGs to beater minivans. Every time I get into a Seville I immediately take notice of how special the car is. You still feel like a million bucks behind the wheel of what is now a $4000 car. But the E46 fits like a glove.

Maybe it's time to try a convertible?

hueterm
12-16-12, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't even consider one older than 2002.5... No matter how nice, or how low of miles. Get the Magneride...

Also, don't hold your breath on the 2000+ HGs...apparently the ones on my '00 ETC were going. (Ask Ian...)

----------

Is that old truck of yours for sale???

j/k

orconn
12-16-12, 12:14 AM
You like the way your E46 handles and feel you can live with the size and fit and finish. When you are through with the suspension refurbishment on the car you should have not only reliable, but also fun transportation for a few years up the the road. The availability of parts for your car at reasonable prices is certainly a plus for the BMW. And while I agree with those that laud the design, size and overall comfort and inner state performance of the Seville, I would have to vote for keeping the Bimmer; all round it just seems to better suit your time of life!

ryannel2003
12-16-12, 02:10 AM
Yeah the BMW has been a really great car. Suspension is ready to be installed; installing new tie-rods and steering guibo on Monday to restore precise, BMW-like steering to the car. The handling is top notch, even with the worn suspension. Once I get all of that taken care of, it will be new wheels and tires next to give the car a sportier look. After that just routine maintenance that is necessary.

As far as convertibles Jesda, the only one I would truly consider would be a 911, Boxster, Z4, 650i, etc. Obviously, all out of my price range at this point. Once I graduate from school and have a good paying job, I'm going to purchase a new car. A4, ATS, or 328i are the only ones I'm considering.

talismandave
12-16-12, 10:00 AM
Haha that's the way I feel with my grandfather's '06 Impala SS when driving it. That Seville was so much more comfortable than the Impala though so I could overlook it based on that alone. Plus it rode like a cloud and the stereo was the best I've ever heard.

But the handling of that E46 is next to nothing. I can whip that thing around corners and when I put the suspension on in a few weeks I can't imagine how much better it will be. Plus, I've taken care of most of the big issues with the E46 like water pump, fuel pump, control arms, shocks/struts, etc. It doesn't use any oil, gets up to 32MPG on the highway, and is really easy to work on.

You have summed up the two cars properly, now you have to decide which you use the car for the most. If the majority of your mileage allows for spirited driving, you will be happier overall in the BMW. If not and you spend the most time cruising, the Seville would give you the most time to enjoy the cars strong point.
From what I understand the two both function adequately in their secondary function. BMW/ride, Seville/handling.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-16-12, 11:17 AM
Every once in a while, a car hits a special nerve and even after you sell it, you want to buy another one. My '92 deVille was that same way. That was one of the most thoroughly satisfying cars I've owned. More flashy & comfortable than my Roadmaster, not as much of a maintenance nightmare as the S320, way more charismatic than the Regal GS. I plan on buying another of the 91-93 deVille this year, to replace the LeSabre with.

ryannel2003
12-16-12, 11:10 PM
Every once in a while, a car hits a special nerve and even after you sell it, you want to buy another one. My '92 deVille was that same way. That was one of the most thoroughly satisfying cars I've owned. More flashy & comfortable than my Roadmaster, not as much of a maintenance nightmare as the S320, way more charismatic than the Regal GS. I plan on buying another of the 91-93 deVille this year, to replace the LeSabre with.

That's how I feel about my Seville. I'd like to get another one eventually but they are getting harder to find in good shape with low miles. Maybe once I get everything done with the E46 I will be fully content.

Submariner409
12-16-12, 11:17 PM
Remember - Anyone can buy a Beemer - they're a dime a dozen. (Very few good Sevilles left .............):lildevil:

77CDV
12-17-12, 12:30 AM

What happened to the LeSabre? I thought it was doing well since you got the little hiccups taken care of. :confused:

truckinman
12-17-12, 02:04 AM
I feel the same way about jeeps! Not the newer ones tho. More so from the 90s. I always want another. I never feel complete if I don't have one. Lol.