: What did you test drive before caddy?

sdgc
12-15-12, 12:21 PM
Just curious on what some people test drove, if any, beofre the Escalade and why did they pick the Eskie.

We narrowed our list and were wishy/washy finally on an Audi Q7 and the Escalade... came down to the Escalade on the fact that the ride could not be touched on the Cadillac in our opinion. Before that final 2 it was Mercedes GL and Infiniti QX that were on the list as well.

jojo5003
12-16-12, 01:31 AM
Qx56 and BMW X5. But it came down to the lac for the big engine towing my 27ft sea ray sundeck, which pulls it with no problems and feel great on long trip to the lake. With the X5 I wasn't sold that its was going to pull my boat with ease and the QX56 would of but I love American muscle.

DG2
12-16-12, 07:07 AM
Mercedes GL. The Escalade drove much nicer and had far better power. The exterior styling was also a hands down winner fir the Caddy plus we felt the interior of GL was too narrow. It reminded us of the original SRX from a size standpoint. All in all we took that GL on a long test drive and the Escalade blew it away ! :)

ELUSIVE
12-16-12, 09:42 AM
Only other options for us were the Suburban and Yukon. Nothing else really has the size and the power.
I would have considered the Expedition XL or Navigator XL, but you don't get an engine upgrade.
For putting 6-7 people in seat belts and still being able to go to Costco while towing a boat...the Escalade was the best option.

roadog1aj
12-16-12, 11:01 AM
We did not test drive any other vehicle. We are a multi vehicle family, and Caddy has always been one of the vehicles we own. Up until we bought our EXT, we had STS's in our stable. Then we decided to give our 97 Dodge Ram 4x4 a long awaited rest from towing our 26' camper, and bought the EXT. I did consider BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc, but bottom line....there was nothing out there with the warranty our Caddies come with, the creature comforts for $$, all wheel drive, and the power the EXT has in reserve. It's not a speed demon by any stretch, but it's no slouch either. We looked at comparable Tahoes, Yukon's, and even the EXT's brother the Avalanche, but lets face it....they do not carry the the "Crest" that defines this vehicle from all other's! My wife wanted to stick with Caddy no matter what was comparable. My, how I've spoiled her!!!! (Of course, I'm not spoiled...Hah!)

Ghost Deany
12-16-12, 07:57 PM
Nothing, previous car was a 2008 CTS and before that was a 04 Escalade, and before that 05 CTS. Cadillac is my fav car brand and is what i will usually purchase.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-18-12, 04:05 PM
What a great thread topic, sdgc! Thanks!

Comparison feedback is always valuable, so I'm going to document the thread URL where GM teams can access your comments. I also want to thank you all for the brand loyalty I'm seeing in your posts; Cadillac appreciates your business, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

rjm
12-18-12, 05:43 PM
Considered (in no particular order): Q7, GL450, QX56, Range Rover, GX460, LX570, and Escalade.

Partial to Escalade based on long history with Cadillac, getting new every 2 or 3 years for 20+ years.

Came down to QX, GL, and Escalade. GL boring and didn't feel special considering price, not to mention dealer incredibly arrogant acting as if they were doing me a favor. Liked QX the best but couldn't get past it's looks. If so, it would be in my garage instead of Escalade.

So far mine has been completely trouble free, BUT I'm still pissed that it doesn't have the Rainsensor. I ended the lease on my '94 DeVille early to get the Rainsensor and every one of my DeVilles/DTS since has. Really GM, of all the cheap, lousy ways to save a buck. Ok, rant over.

bruin300
01-04-13, 01:23 AM
Gx460

Fast Eddie
01-04-13, 05:54 PM
This is our fourth Escalade and 8th GM truck. Prior to buying a regular wheelbase Escalade I test drove:
Last gen QX56 (plastic city)
Q7 (I could not physically get into the truck, cargo area was less than a convertible, and dealership made me want to go postal)
Sequoia- (plastic city again, otherwise decent truck without any luxury, terrible dealer)
Last gen GL(couldn't take the look, 46" wide cargo area BUT I will revisit with the new 13's)
GX460 (drove nice, very nice inside, but Waaaaaayyyyyyy too small-the third row headrests actually go 30 degrees forward to avoid touching the rear glass)
Enclave (nice truck, didn't like the look, felt a little cheap inside, needs more power-not bad at all though)
RR and LR4 (hideous interiors, I mean seriously hideous interiors, drove like bricks, horrible reliability concerns)

I would up getting the regular Escalade and within 10 months I traded it in for the ESV. With the third row in the RWB had no storage. I also didn't like the fact that the rear windows don't go all the way down and it rode very choppy compared to an ESV.

I'm looking to replace it probably next year. I will consider the new E, but if GM insists on making me pull those god damn seats out again- forget it. Folding flat third row is a must and the fact that it looks like the next gen won't have it is an embarrassment.

The new GL looks REALLY nice. Really, really nice. And you can get it in a diesel!! (Too bad GM doesn't make diesels, oh wait). That just might be my next truck..

sdgc
01-04-13, 07:10 PM
Yeah, im REALLY curious if Cadillac are going to sh*t the bed on the redesign in the next year or 2.... i bought ours feeling it would be our long term vehicle, but if they fix a few features it would be nice.

Singh G
01-06-13, 02:34 PM
I'm upgrading from a 2011 Dodge Durango that retailed nearly 50k. I had it for 20 months. I loved everything about the it except that my wife was in the market for HER choice of car. Coupled with poor customer service at our local dealership and riding in our friend's escalade a few times; escalade was next up. Took 6k loss in equity; but made that right back by tax credit and the three month savings on the note until it gets here.

stogeman
01-07-13, 11:27 PM
Range rover and porsche and bmw but the cadi was calling my name

FlipEXT
01-13-13, 10:14 PM
I took a look at the new body cls 550 also, the s550. I contemplated a BMW 750 as well. The Escalade was the perfect fit. Performance style and practicality for an Ohio resident is why I chose my EXT. it's the best looking SUV on the road and secondly there are only a few Escalades here in the color that I have. Some of my friends that are Escalade owners have never seen my color. I am very happy with my purchase!