: Lift Gate - Calibration

spartoron
12-14-12, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone, I have an 07 Escalade and the lift gate opens and closes just fine but it will not remain open. It opens fine and gets to the top but after about a second or two it begins to drop. I've tried searching the forum as well as Google but am not getting much information. This actually happened a few months ago but after a couple of weeks the lift gate started staying up on its own. This time the problem is not correcting itself and I'm getting a little annoyed when using the trunk. Could someone post directions to the lift gate calibration procedure. If I am wrong in assuming this is my problem I would appreciate any other advice. Thank you in advance for any help and or insight into this problem.

spartoron
12-15-12, 12:13 PM
Hi, just some more information. I just tried using the lift gate in manual mode. Once again it failed to stay open. I'm wondering now if the gas pistons have failed. So when using the auto mode it opens and immediately makes a click as if the motor is letting go and begins to drop. In manual mode there is no click at the top when it starts to drop. As stated previously it begins to drop almost immediately. When it starts to fall it almost seems slow and controlled. When it reaches the half way point it seems to accelerate and drops faster. So should I be looking into the gas pistons or the lift mechanism? Thanks again.

cadmanchris
12-16-12, 02:38 PM
Check the pistons for an oily film on them. Chances are that they are leaking. Replace the pair. There is a left and right, so keep that in mind that they are different.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-17-12, 12:37 PM
Spartoron, would you consider taking your Escalade to your dealership so their technicians can run the proper diagnostic tests on your vehicle? I can understand if you prefer the DIY approach, but please let me know if you would like any assistance working with a dealer! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
12-17-12, 12:40 PM
If in the manual mode the lift gate will not stay up then replace the two gas supports, they are kind of undersized for the weight to start with

spartoron
12-19-12, 12:46 AM
Yeah, it seems the supports are leaking. I'm going to replace the pair this week. Katie, I appreciate the offer and will probably see the dealer if this doesn't help. Thanks for the help everyone.