: Super high idle - 1992 Fleetwood

bobdt
12-14-12, 08:00 PM
I have a 92 Fleetwood 60 Special. It idols way too high and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Does anybody have any idea on what the problem could be?

the recluse
12-14-12, 08:41 PM
Vacuum leak, maybe?

bobdt
12-15-12, 02:20 AM
Vacuum leak, maybe?

I'm checking into all that in the morning. Intake, injector ports, all lines and EGR. Any other possibilities would be appreciated. Thanks

bigm57ict
12-15-12, 09:21 AM
Idle Control Motor or Idle Speed Controller.
I don't recall exactly what it's called. It mounts to the front of the throttle body and has a plunger that pushes against the throttle plate to control the idle speed.

cadillac_al
12-15-12, 10:41 AM
Check codes, vacuum, throttle linkage, and ISC threads on this forum.

bobdt
12-15-12, 01:11 PM
Idle Control Motor or Idle Speed Controller.
I don't recall exactly what it's called. It mounts to the front of the throttle body and has a plunger that pushes against the throttle plate to control the idle speed.

I checked that out and even unplugged it. No change, get a 55 code which is TPS out of adjustment??? It bolts on doesn't look like it is adjustable.

----------

Check codes, vacuum, throttle linkage, and ISC threads on this forum.

I get a 55 code (TPS out of adjustment. Unplug that and or idol solenoid and no change. Looking into vacuum leaks now including all of the obvious spots.
Thanks for the ideas. Always open to more.

Sevillian273
12-15-12, 08:58 PM
The TPS is adjustable, it's giving the wrong reading to the computer, which in turn is commanding the ISC to move the throttle up until it sees the reading that it wants. Unplugging the ISC simply locks it into its incorrect position and your high idle remains. You have to either retract it fully until it does not touch the throttle lever at all or remove it entirely so you can observe the true TPS reading and adjust it accordingly. You want it to read 0.5v when the ISC is not touching the throttle. Search for the procedure on this board. You cant just slap a new TPS on there - it must be adjusted properly. Don't wait too long, high idle is hard on the transmission.