: Flush the Powersteering system?

12-23-04, 05:49 PM
I was pressed for time last week and took my 96 Olds Aurora to a quick lube place to get the oil changed. I know they like to look everything over to see what else they can stick me for.

All they found was my power steering fluid looked old and strongly suggested I get the system flushed. :suspect: In all the cars I've owned, I've never had the power steering flushed. This sounded like total BS to me, so I didn't let them do it.

I'd like the opinion of the forum experts on this.:worship: Did I make the right call?

12-23-04, 06:52 PM
I have never heard of nor done that either and likewise would have taken a pass.

12-23-04, 07:23 PM
The boss's wife had an older Buick that the power steering looked like it had crankcase drainings in it. We just took a hose loose and cycled the steering back and forth while pouring in fresh oil until it came out clean. It worked just the same after as when we started.

12-23-04, 09:40 PM
I've never flushed one in the six years I've worked for caddy, good call.

12-27-04, 01:34 AM
the only time i put in new fluid is when i replace the psi lines. i worked at a dealer for some time and we were trained to tell the customer that it needed a flush if over 50000miles. whooops shouldent have said that. oh well.

"Sir we highly recommend that you flush your power steering to keep your Cadillac operating at peak efficency"

04-18-05, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I ran into the same thing at my Cadillac Dealer......they wanted to flush the PS fluid and I said "Well, if it needed to be flushed the maintenance schedule would call for it"....and I said 'no thanks'. Problem is, they also wanted to replace a "broken motor mount". I'm thinking this is BS too, because why would a steel motor mount break unless the car was in an accident....but then I read several posts on here saying the mounts do break. Not sure what to do about the mount now......Oh well, who can you trust? Apparently not the dealers!