: Flush the Powersteering system?

2000STSOwner
12-23-04, 05:49 PM
I was pressed for time last week and took my 96 Olds Aurora to a quick lube place to get the oil changed. I know they like to look everything over to see what else they can stick me for.

All they found was my power steering fluid looked old and strongly suggested I get the system flushed. :suspect: In all the cars I've owned, I've never had the power steering flushed. This sounded like total BS to me, so I didn't let them do it.

I'd like the opinion of the forum experts on this.:worship: Did I make the right call?

Ranger
12-23-04, 06:52 PM
I have never heard of nor done that either and likewise would have taken a pass.

dkozloski
12-23-04, 07:23 PM
The boss's wife had an older Buick that the power steering looked like it had crankcase drainings in it. We just took a hose loose and cycled the steering back and forth while pouring in fresh oil until it came out clean. It worked just the same after as when we started.

caddywhizkid
12-23-04, 09:40 PM
I've never flushed one in the six years I've worked for caddy, good call.

cadibrougham
12-27-04, 01:34 AM
the only time i put in new fluid is when i replace the psi lines. i worked at a dealer for some time and we were trained to tell the customer that it needed a flush if over 50000miles. whooops shouldent have said that. oh well.

"Sir we highly recommend that you flush your power steering to keep your Cadillac operating at peak efficency"
:lies:

finallyflying
04-18-05, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I ran into the same thing at my Cadillac Dealer......they wanted to flush the PS fluid and I said "Well, if it needed to be flushed the maintenance schedule would call for it"....and I said 'no thanks'. Problem is, they also wanted to replace a "broken motor mount". I'm thinking this is BS too, because why would a steel motor mount break unless the car was in an accident....but then I read several posts on here saying the mounts do break. Not sure what to do about the mount now......Oh well, who can you trust? Apparently not the dealers!