: How to HARD RESET your CUE

EricDOhio
12-14-12, 02:15 PM
Last night I remote started my car using the Cadillac ap for iPhone and with the On-star integration - big mistake as it locked out my heater and wouldn't allow me to turn on the heater. Apparently, this might be more common then you think as the dealer was "familiar" with this "phenomenon". To remedy the issue, and gain control of your heater controls again, you need to do a HARD RESET of the CUE. Be advised, this does NOT cause you to lose your presets or any setup; rather it is just like hitting the reset button on your computer when it freezes. Here is how to do a HARD RESET when you loose control of CUE.

1.) Open the CUE face plate (exposing the storage area) - LEAVE IT UP.

2.) Turn the car OFF

3.) Open the DRIVER's door

4.) Wait 30-60 SECONDS

CUE won't tell you that it reset. When you start he car however (and after shutting your door and lowering your face plate) you will see a yellow circle going round and round and that confirms your RESET.

After the reset your heater (or perhaps other) controls will be functioning just fine.

Hope that helps.

E

frankc5r
12-14-12, 08:03 PM
Thanks. Thatis good to know. I needed to do that a few days ago and nobody knew how.
frank

VSS
12-18-12, 01:26 AM
Thanks! The radio in my ATS stopped working today, and I was stumped until I saw your post. I did the procedure you described, and the radio's working now. Hope I won't have to do it again, though.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-18-12, 12:34 PM
Thanks! The radio in my ATS stopped working today, and I was stumped until I saw your post. I did the procedure you described, and the radio's working now. Hope I won't have to do it again, though.

Glad Eric's post helped you, VSS! I'll document this thread so the appropriate GM teams can view the feedback, and if any of you would like further assistance in the future don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

JimmyH
12-19-12, 05:13 PM
It looks like that old joke about having to pull over to reboot your car is actually starting to come true.
I think I shall keep my old school radio as long as I can.

RippyPartsDept
12-19-12, 06:36 PM
can a mod move this to the **CUE** forum?

good info EricD!

hambone8
12-20-12, 01:53 AM
Awesome. Thanks a lot for that tip! I was afraid if I had to reset CUE at some point I would have to pull the battery cables like I've read some myford touch users have had to do.

Last night I remote started my car using the Cadillac ap for iPhone and with the On-star integration - big mistake as it locked out my heater and wouldn't allow me to turn on the heater. Apparently, this might be more common then you think as the dealer was "familiar" with this "phenomenon". To remedy the issue, and gain control of your heater controls again, you need to do a HARD RESET of the CUE. Be advised, this does NOT cause you to lose your presets or any setup; rather it is just like hitting the reset button on your computer when it freezes. Here is how to do a HARD RESET when you loose control of CUE.

2.) Turn the car OFF

4.) Wait 30-60 SECONDS

CUE won't tell you that it reset. When you start he car however (and after shutting your door and lowering your face plate) you will see a yellow circle going round and round and that confirms your RESET.

After the reset your heater (or perhaps other) controls will be functioning just fine.

Hope that helps.

E

aselvan
06-15-13, 03:32 PM
All of a sudden, CUE does not recognize all the media storage I had (SD card and USB stick). I had to do the reset described here to get CUE to recognize the SD card and USB again! Also, the AC stopped working after remote start and refuses to work until I had to reset!

Branimal
07-02-13, 05:50 PM
Turned on the vehicle, CUE boots up, reverse out (with camera), black screen... freaked me out obviously but did a hard reset shown by OP and I was golden. Guess it's expected with a new car (ATS) and a new system. Thanks Eric!

thereddog
07-22-13, 02:48 AM
It looks like that old joke about having to pull over to reboot your car is actually starting to come true.
I think I shall keep my old school radio as long as I can.
I've had to do this twice already, not even two months old

inspectorudy
07-22-13, 09:57 AM
Great info but what puzzles me is this re-boot technique a planned procedure? I mean I know it works but was this the intent of the engineers when they built CUE? The procedure to re-program a remote key control is almost as strange but it works too.

CDN XTS
07-28-13, 09:56 PM
Well, it's a computer, and I have yet to have a computer, and I had lots and very top class ones, which doesn't sometimes stalls within a programme/doesn't work like it should (not talking about blue screening), yet after a full re-boot all is well again. Hopefully, be it the PC or CUE, such doesn't happen very often. LOL

RippyPartsDept
07-29-13, 11:41 AM
you wouldn't want to have to reboot the computers in the cockpit of a plane would you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avionics_software

there's a reason why there are govt regulations for avionics software (i don't think i'd have to explain that)

there's also govt regulations for automotive software (but not for the infotainment stuff)
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13647/en/
http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/compsac/2008/3262/00/3262b053-abs.html

the extra costs associated with the engineering and development of the software to the avionics safety standards are why your CUE system might need a hard reset every once in a while
luckily it's not a safety related system and your ABS/Airbag/steering systems (etc) don't need to be reset from time to time

CDN XTS
07-29-13, 07:18 PM
Chris, agree fully as to the critical automotive system being separate as they should not and are NOT "controlled" by CUE and must be of a much higher standard. But as you said the infotainment stuff differs and it is controlled by the "computer" and I consider a hard reset "basically" the same as a (cold) boot. While I'm not an IT type guy, and are willing to be corrected, it's my understanding that, while theoretically it shouldn't, sometimes something for whatever reason, gets stuck in volatile memory resulting in such a problem. Someone told me once that while CUE goes totally dark, it's not totally 100% down. Maybe that's wrong, in which case I'm totally wet, and a Hard Reset is more than a "cold boot" of a PC. But getting into the car and closing the door, CUE starts up basically instantaneously, supporting such a "deep sleep" stage. So based on that understanding, my point was that while not nice and theoretically a "no-no", when it only happens the very odd time on a PC or with CUE, it's not an issue for which I would run to the PC/Software manufacturer or the car dealer. It's more the nature of (both) beasts. That differs only if it can be repeated 100 % of the time based on a certain sequence of action or it happens very frequently. In fact I wouldn't be surprised that this may happen slightly more often once apps are available. Presently there are other issue with CUE which need to be fixed.

RippyPartsDept
07-30-13, 12:05 PM
you're pretty much spot-on (as far as I know)

regarding the not going fully dark ... iPhones are like that too... you can turn it off but it's not really turned off all the way and if left 'off' for a long enough time the battery will die

there is a way to do a hard reset (or cold boot) on an iPhone too and that has cured many weird issues that i've come across

i totally agree with your assesment of when you should worry about it and run to the dealer

1formula
08-04-13, 03:22 AM
I can't get this to work... Do I shut the door and cubby before starting the car?? Nothing seems to work...

glenroebuck
08-08-13, 03:21 PM
Here is what I did - rant to follow - Got in car shut door, turned on car let cue boot up, opened cubby. shut off car opened door counted to 60, shut door. This got my bluetooth working again to pair with my phone.

rant on - My car is a week old. Seriously? a 46K luxury car and I have to google the internet on how to reboot the stupid interface device?? I GM wants to pay me to beta test this thing that is one thing but if I have to constantly reboot my CUE to get simple features to work...I am not going to and start taking it to shop every time for the same issue until it is 30 days of shop time and lemon law this pos....rant off.

SCHIDER23
08-17-13, 03:09 AM
Well had to do this procedure today on my three week old ats, thanks for the info, It wouldn't connect to iphone via cable and no USB drive, second fault in just three weeks, my memory seat module had to be replaced, after two weeks cause it stop working all together. Hopefully no more surprises.

CDN XTS
08-18-13, 10:18 PM
On my long trip from Toronto area to Las Vegas I experienced a problem with having lost one of the two menu items under "Units" and couldn't change from the metric system after crossing the border. Fixed by "resetting" the DIC system by getting out of car (ie. removing the key) and keeping the door open for 2 minutes. Then on the last day from Cortez, CO to Las Vegas, NV. there were three chimes rather then the seat shaking when touching a divider line. Checking, it still was programmed for the seat issue. Clicking on it again, it again worked correctly (i.e. I didn't do a "hard reset") This then happened once again on that day later on with the same action taken, Then another issue happened some 45 min out of Vegas. There was the odd very brief "ping" at different intervals from 1 min to 10 minutes. No info at all on the DIC or CUE and car seemed to run perfectly. Had OnStar do a check-up. No error codes reported. Subsequent some briefer driving over the last 3 days in Vegas have not reproduced either problem. A few days earlier while driving suddenly CUE went dead, Lost the Navigation screen (screen totally dark) and the music playing from the SD card. Both came back up automatically within less then a minute but music didn't carry on from the song it was playing before so I assume CUE executed a re-boot by itself for whatever internal reason.

pinkexec
09-26-13, 07:35 PM
This did NOT work for my new 2014 srx. My air is blowing ice cold on drivers side and back but not passenger's side. I've sync'd to low temp settings and played around with it for about an hour trying different things including the boot instructions in this thread but nothing reset it. The boot never occurred either. I really don't want to have to drive across town to the dealership if I can fix it myself with a simple step. Anyone know how I can fix this?? Thanks so much!

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-26-13, 11:40 PM
This did NOT work for my new 2014 srx. My air is blowing ice cold on drivers side and back but not passenger's side. I've sync'd to low temp settings and played around with it for about an hour trying different things including the boot instructions in this thread but nothing reset it. The boot never occurred either. I really don't want to have to drive across town to the dealership if I can fix it myself with a simple step. Anyone know how I can fix this?? Thanks so much!
Hello pinkexec,

Congratulations on your new SRX! I am sorry to hear that the hard reset did not work for you and that it seems as though you are experiencing an issue with your climate control thogh. Unfortunately I do not have any information on how to hard reset the CUE, you might what to contact our CUE Infotainment team at 855-428-3669 to see if they have a different procedure for the 2014 SRX. If you do plan on taking your vehicle to the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership to address the issue. Please feel free to send me a private message or an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you would like my assistance. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

greyghost04
12-22-13, 01:31 PM
It's good to turn off you smartphone and let it reboot at least once a week. So why not the car.

rlflesh
01-01-14, 04:03 PM
this reboot procedure doesnt work on my 2013 ATS. My problem is that the radio resets have gone haywire. Some are grayed out and not usable. If I try to reset a grayed out button, it just messes up one of the other presets. Fix one, it messes up another. Anyone had this problem or know an alternative reboot procedure?

pever
01-02-14, 10:15 AM
Did you try the Return to Factory Settings option - page 7-7 ?

The Restore Radio Settings sub-option should be the least painful in terms of getting things back in order.

(It is a shame that Cody no longer posts.)

RippyPartsDept
01-02-14, 06:25 PM
cody posts some still... not a whole lot though

i thought that was because he no longer works at GM...

flycaster
01-03-14, 06:32 PM

Many ATS owners have had to have a HVAC module update/replacement to fix similar problem...check it out with your dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-07-14, 03:58 PM
this reboot procedure doesnt work on my 2013 ATS. My problem is that the radio resets have gone haywire. Some are grayed out and not usable. If I try to reset a grayed out button, it just messes up one of the other presets. Fix one, it messes up another. Anyone had this problem or know an alternative reboot procedure?
Hello rlfresh,

I apologize that the reboot procedure is not working in your ATS. Have you tried to reach out to our CUE Infotainment team regarding this concern?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

jdlima
03-30-14, 04:46 AM
I have a XTS4 Platinum, CUE hard reset did not work for me. I have my voice activation both on the central stack and the steering wheel inactive and the hazard sign cannot be activated. I did manage to switch it on but had to struggle much more to switch it off. I now dread trying to switch it again.

sonny3621
05-23-14, 11:25 PM

2.) Turn the car OFF

4.) Wait 30-60 SECONDS

Hope that helps.

E

Does this method work with the XTS too as I have done what you describe multiple times and don't see a yellow circle when I start the car. My Bluetooth has decided not to pair up anymore and I thought a CUE reboot might help. Thanks.

JEFF_WI
06-14-14, 09:09 PM
I have a 2014 ATS and have it for about 7 weeks. My CUE system has occasionally locked [6X] but nothing has gone black. Seems to happen when in the NAV mode. I can get back to the main icon screen but then can't do anything more...totally locked out of the touch screen but the panel below the screen seems to work okay. I had it to the dealer and they were able to recreate the scenario and input the latest software however it happened again in less than 100 miles of driving. I found this link and tried the Hard reboot as discussed. It worked great.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct information.

chrisfoot
06-30-14, 07:51 AM
I tried resetting the Cue this morning and followed the directions. I did not get the spinning boot up indicator. Do I need to walk away with the key fob? Car is a 2013 XTS. Maybe wait longer? I let it go for 90 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

greyghost04
06-30-14, 03:29 PM
You won't always get the spinning boot. If your problem is fixed, than it worked.

eric007
09-25-14, 12:10 PM
Hello,

I can't use the touchscreen to change the radio presets and the phone will not pair and I was hoping the hard reset might fix these problems. Can someone clarify the procedure for the reset?

Does the engine need to be running or just the power on before #1.

2.) Turn the car OFF

4.) Wait 30-60 SECONDS

After waiting 60 seconds, I close the door, the horns beeps a few times, and I lower the faceplate and press the power button.
Do I need to start the engine or just bring up the power?

I have tried it numerous times using what I see here and I never get the spinning icon and all my problems still exist, so I must missing something. TIA.

sonny3621
09-25-14, 02:31 PM
I've tried it numerous times also out of curiosity and have also never seen the spinning circle. I'm not convinced that procedure actually really does anything.

greyghost04
09-25-14, 08:47 PM
I've tried it numerous times also out of curiosity and have also never seen the spinning circle. I'm not convinced that procedure actually really does anything.

It did fix a problem for me once, so it's better than nothing as a repair idea. I also see nothing

eric007
09-26-14, 04:59 PM
Hello,

I have tried it numerous times using what I see here and I never get the spinning icon and all my problems still exist, so I must missing something. TIA.

The Bluetooth is working again so maybe it did something, anyway it is being taken in next week for the software update, hopefully that should fix these issues.

monsan
12-01-14, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much for this information. It worked on the first try and saved me a trip to the dealership. While they were very accommodating they had never heard of this problem!