: Just bought a '77 M/M Cadillac hearse, need advice

haulinemoff1x1
12-14-12, 10:44 AM
Hello there, was told the car was driven and parked in place and hadnt been started in two years or so but that it ran. Checked oil and it is black and a quart or so low. I have not started it because im going to go ahead and replace the gas tank and I have to buy the top and bottom radiator hose, heater hose and replace a line that ran from the back of the a/c compressor into the radiator before I try it. I was told by someone that after not running for awhile it is best to leave the old oil in it for first 100 miles because the new oil may break up the sludge inside and clog it up, is this true? Or should I go ahead and change oil and filter as well (like I would prefer to do). Also the power steering leaks after cranking the wheel every which way to push it into garage. So is there anything else I should check out or replace before starting?

Thanks,
Josh

cadillac_al
12-14-12, 08:22 PM
That old black oil has gone acidic by now; it's best to change it. If the trans fluid isn't nice and red I would change that too along with the coolant. The brake fluid should be changed too but I usually neglect it until a line starts leaking.

carnut
12-14-12, 11:02 PM
Add a qt and start it. Once fully warm, drain it, change it. The new oil will clean the engine whether you do it prior to start up or after. If it had good service over the years, there shouldn't be a sludge problem. I would flush the brakes long before changing trans oil in order of importance. The coolant will be changed when you do the hoses. Change the radiator cap as well. The steering fluid leak is because you're turning the wheel with no power assist and it overflows from the pump. Line from the compressor to the radiator??? Do you mean an A/C line to the condenser in front of the radiator. Be prepared to replace brake wheel cylinders and brake hoses because of age and potential failure.

haulinemoff1x1
12-15-12, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I forgot to mention the car has a little over 73k on it. Sorry, maybe your right I couldnt see where the line connects because it had been snipped off (radiator was stolen out of car while sitting before my purchase)