: 4.6 V8 diesel sounds

neverlateSTS
12-13-12, 10:36 AM
Has anyone experienced the diesel sound on acceleration with northstar v8 ? Mine is a 2007 awd and has 60k miles. Sometimes it can be loud . i read alittle on vvt and someone stated that it is broken but i dont understand what approach to take. My warranty will be out in Feb.2013. I mentioned it at the dealer that just replaced the torque converter but it is still there and they did not make any repairs. should i be concerned? i do use 93 octane fuel

1BadCadSTS
12-13-12, 11:04 AM
Oil at proper level?

Do you wot every so often?

neverlateSTS
12-13-12, 03:37 PM
Oil at proper level?

Do you wot every so often?

oil is at proper level and i dont think i have ever run wot

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-13-12, 05:07 PM
NeverlateSTS, I'm sorry you've been experiencing this frustration but glad you brought it to your dealer's attention! If you continue to have concerns, please let me know and I am available to follow up with your dealership and investigate your concerns further for you. Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

KRSTS
12-13-12, 05:20 PM
Sound major. Make sure the dealer enters your complaint in the database and on the work order before your warranty runs out. Otherwise, if you need an engine rebuild its on your nickle.

EChas3
12-13-12, 08:48 PM
^^^ Absolutely True.

Actually, it's very good for your N* to exercize WOT (& compression braking). For the reasons why, check the 'Stickey Thread' at the top of the forum. These cars thrive on use; drive it like you stole it! :bouncy:

B1n2fra
12-14-12, 06:00 PM
So is the diesel sound bad or not so bad. Because my car still drives like it should. Same gas mileage a neck whipping speed.

curtc
12-15-12, 12:46 AM
So is the diesel sound bad or not so bad. Because my car still drives like it should. Same gas mileage a neck whipping speed.

If my N* sounded like a diesel it would be in the shop so fast...wouldn't even think about driving it, not even to the shop.

Not normal at all, the N* is one of the quietest V8s out there, part of the reason why GM built the darn thing for Cadillac.

B1n2fra
12-16-12, 07:51 PM
Its not loud this Is how it sounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5wMF785RI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KRSTS
12-16-12, 08:15 PM
Doesn't sound normal

B1n2fra
12-16-12, 10:09 PM
When recording it amplifies the sound so in the video it sounds worst or louder than in does in person. Some say its normal and I seen someone say the Vvt is broken. How can it be broken and how can it be fixed. this is a common issue. I looked at a srx v8 and it sounded exactly the same. I started a thread and read multiple other threads about this and never got a 100% definite answer. Dealer said it was how the vvt is supposed to sound. So I'm lost

Ludacrisvp
12-17-12, 10:57 AM
Granted I listened to this on my phone but it didn't sound out of the ordinary to me. And I'm driving my 4th N* equipped car all sound like this one. Various miles on the engine from 27k - 127k across the range of cars.

1BadCadSTS
12-17-12, 11:39 AM
Normal.

curtc
12-17-12, 12:45 PM
Yeah, after listening to it I hear the normal N* noises, nothing out of the ordinary...Was expecting to hear a Volkswagon or something, lol...

EChas3
12-17-12, 08:58 PM
My wife's N* is a bit noisier than mine. Four years & 50,000 miles later, it still is.

Hers is quicker, but mine's faster. :)