: 1957 coupe deville brakes

jerrywagner
12-13-12, 12:01 AM
The 57 Cadillac Coupe Deville has a brake problem where at speeds over 50 miles an hour there is a terrible break shudder basically in the front end and we turned the drums replaced the brake shoes I adjusted everything according
to the Cadillac factory manual front end aligned and balanced and nothing seems to make this shutter go away does anyone have any ideas

CADforce69
12-13-12, 03:11 PM
Did you check if tie rod ends or center link are worn / loose? Tires are old or were changed recently to be sure they are not warped?

jerrywagner
12-13-12, 03:16 PM
Did you check if tie rod ends or center link are worn / loose? Tires are old or were changed recently to be sure they are not warped?

we think we have narrowed this down to a frame flexing issue, the car has a 1969 engine and the prior owner "trimmed" dome of the frame to make it fit and we are going to replace part of the frame from a donor car we have to see if that is the issue

talismandave
12-13-12, 04:11 PM
yikes...

akaBC
12-14-12, 01:18 PM
To quote Dave, "Yikes!" The 57/58 X-frames had a problem with the strength of the A-arms, anyway . . .. . . .The 58 model 62 Ht and my (former) 58 Coupe deVille had one break--one while crossing a street dip, the other while parking. In Van Nuys. Mebbe I should stay out of Van Nuys? Ooops--off-topic I go. . . .

Also, did you replace all brake springs when baby needed two new pairs of shoes?