: Black Trim Cleaning/Protection

NotMine
12-12-12, 07:28 PM
Wife has a 2012 Luxury model, SRX. When she takes the car to a full service wash, she repeatedly requests the "detailers" to clean the bottom black vinyl trim. The machines do not remove mud and debris from this molding, although there are indications the brushes do reach that area. I, also, have had difficulty removing "stuff" from the trim. The car is relatively new and I have used NO products on it (unknown if the dealer used anything during the delivery prep).

So, my post is for suggestions on products that owners have had success with........for cleaning and treating (Armor All is out....GM, although they will not publicly admit it, does not recommend it). I'm thinking the owners in the areas of less tolerable weather:rolleyes: may have experienced this as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oh, forgot to mention she is getting the Cadillac mud guards as one of her Christmas presents. This will probably minimize the occurrence, to some extent.

Ponyman
12-12-12, 10:31 PM
I just use some of the car wash soap I have mixed up when I wash the car. I think it is Meguiars concentraed car wash soap. I use it with a bug sponge and it comes clean. Then I use a piece of cardboard to shield the paint and put a light coat of Stoners Tire Shine on it. Makes the black look great and it doesn't attract dust like Armor all.

Jake2010
12-13-12, 09:21 AM
Yeah... mud splashes for some reason seem to stain the black plastic trim. I use a product by Turtle Wax called "Black Detailer" it's works ok, it's a black liquid you apply with a sponge or rag. I will probably look for another option though. Just never use wax!!

NotMine
12-16-12, 01:11 PM
Hmmm, 2 responses. One a "possible", the other a "maybe" because of his search for a different product. I guess, owners of Cadillacs don't do manual labor. Thanks anyway....especially to the 2 responders.

witz5557
12-16-12, 03:30 PM
I use Mothers Back to Black. Works well and looks good after application. Good cover up and will last until your next wash.

allgm
12-16-12, 05:07 PM
I use Eagle One Trim Gel put it on with a pad takes about 1/2 hr to do front back and sides.
Last about a month. Tried sprays looked good in garage but out in the sun light showed streaks.
I think the hardest part to keep clean is the bottom trim, texture is to rough.

stevec5375
12-16-12, 05:14 PM
I use Turtle Wax Ice. It's a clear liquid wax that glides on, no rubbing. You can do the entire car including all the black trim. Unlike a typical wax, it doesn't leave any residue on the black trim pieces.