: Anyone stop the center console Lid from creaking while resting your arm on it?

Royalton
12-12-12, 07:57 PM
When I drive if I touch, lean on or rest my whole arm on the center console lid it makes a plastic creaking noise that bugs the crap out of me. Anyone solve this problem.

I just upgraded to the newer style lid and it still does this. wd40 on the plastic part that the metal arm is attached to?, or putting felt on that area? anyone solve this?

hannity
12-12-12, 10:32 PM
That was one thing that used to drive me crazy, What I ended up doing was putting velcro strips from walmart along the egdes of the lid to put something in between the lid and the actual storage compartment. However that did not remedy the situation, so I just stopped putting my arm on it. Try the Velcro route and see if it works for you, Was like $1.99 a pack at walmart.

Royalton
12-12-12, 11:00 PM
I took off the whole lid. I wrapped the metal arm 2xs in electrical tape, poked 5 holes through the tape for the screws to go through, than I sprayed each hole where the screws go in with wd40, than I sprayed a quick spray of all the plastic part where the metal arm attaches too, wiped off the excess and made sure none dripped down. Reattached it and for now no creaking at all.

I don't know if it was the duct tape, the wd40 or the combination and I dont know if the creaking will come back but for now it's gone and I'm happy.

jlawsonz
12-13-12, 06:49 PM
Yes, I changed it out for the 2012 version with the tray in it from Rippys.

jpatt49
12-13-12, 07:08 PM
I had the exact issue and it drove me nuts. I took it in and they replaced it with the newer version, but still the same thing. The tech did some digging behind the console in the rear HVAC and Radio controls and I believe he added some kind of rubber bushing in there somewhere.

Been about 3 months now with no rattles or creaks.

CStradling24
12-18-12, 08:54 PM
I took some felt tape, which is about a 1/4 inch think. It's the stuff you can put under couches etc from Walmart. I opened the big part of the glove box and put it on the back of the top half, so when you close the top half it puts a little tension on the hinge. I haven't had a single creek or crack in a year.

murphy
12-20-12, 10:08 PM
I found my noise was coming from the rear seat vent/radio control bezel cover...some incidental paper shims and all is quiet..