: Finally Got Em' - USN orders

iwannaracecar
12-12-12, 06:27 PM
Well today has been a LONG LONG awaited day for me (and a lot of my friends). We finally got to pick orders, and I get to work with Tomahawk Missiles! and get to move my family to Mayport, Florida in a few months. Couldnt be happier with what i got even after the long wait (June of 2011). hopefully there are some nice Cadillac owners out there. Thanks for letting me rant. Yall have a good evening.

Submariner409
12-12-12, 07:22 PM
If you're going to Mayport (surface puke) you'll find about a half-dozen CF members in the area. Do a search for recluse and hook up with him - Chris is one of the good guys - he lives in JAX.

(Remember - There are two types of ships: Submarines and Targets)

Stingroo
12-12-12, 07:33 PM
I'm not all that far from there either.

Also his username is "the_recluse"

Greetings.

LS1Mike
12-12-12, 07:55 PM
Sounds great! How long have you been in or have you not left yet?

Plus what sub said... :)

Ranger
12-12-12, 08:37 PM
You got to "pick" your orders? WOW! How times have changed. Or is that just a difference in branches?

orconn
12-12-12, 08:48 PM
When you say "pick your orders" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean pick your MOS, your duty station, or what. I don't quite understand the usage of the phrase in this instance. Does this apply only to new enlistees, or only to those with some time on active duty.

iwannaracecar
12-12-12, 10:16 PM
Went to boot camp January of 2012. Been at school since. Almost a year and still haven't seen a ship.

I was signed to the navy as advanced electronics computer field which meant I would be either et( electronics tech) or FC(fire control man). I found out in boot camp I was becoming an FC. Once an FC you have multiple weapons systems u can have you NEC ( U army guys its our MOS) after school we get to pick our orders by class average in our schooling. They toss up 25 orders our class of 19 got to pick from what was available. I finished 5th so I chose tomahawk operator and tech.

----------

Also this is the only time it applies. And sub the San jacinto though that sub was a speed bump a few weeks ago lol. Glad no one was hurt though.

dkozloski
12-12-12, 10:22 PM
Navy tradition. I was first in my company in boot camp in test scores so I got my pick of schools. I chose Missile Technician. I was first in my "A" school Missile Technician class and got first pick of any duty station or school in the world with an opening. I chose "C" school on Terrier/Tartar SAM missiles at the General Dynamics factory in Pomona, Ca. I was first in class there so I got first pick at any duty station with an opening so I chose depot level maintenance, final assembly, and final acceptance testing at Naval Weapons Station Concord, Ca. With a year to go on my enlistment they decided I needed some sea duty and with a letter of commendation from my CO I got to pick the USS Goldsborough DDG 20 which was a brand new ship home ported in Pearl Harbor, HI.

Goldsborough was decommissioned in the 90s and was the last steam turbine powered destroyer in the fleet. They're all gas turbine now.

By the same token, if you flunked out of school you were going to go coop cleaning, or mess cooking on an old tub out of the D&S piers in Norfolk, Va. Sea duty was a horrible boogeyman that nobody wanted.

orconn
12-12-12, 10:59 PM
Actually in the Army, or at least in the ASA, we had the same kind of thing for class rank and the choice of assignments after we graduated. But this didn't always hold true, I got my first choice out of Ft Devens which was to Kagnew Station in Asmara, (th the time) Ethiopia. Unfortunately the Tet offensive of 1968 cut my time in Africa short as almost all analysts of my vintage were recalled to Ft Meade for retraining on the Vietnam problem. The good news (probably the only good news) about a tour in Vietnam was that upon completion of your tour you got to choose and were guaranteed your next duty station. I chose Japan thinking I would be assigned to our post in the southern most island of the Japanese main islands where it was relatively warm and the sailing and snorkeling were good. I completely forgot that there was also a station on the northern most main island of Hokkaido where Summer was two months long and snowfall was over ten feet per year! I spent 2 1/2 years in the "Winter Wonderland" with an address considerably north of Vladivostok, USSR. Even ones mistakes can turn out well, with a little luck; as it turned out the island's main city had been selected as the sight of the 1972 Winter Olympics and I ended up (along with my other duties) as a member of the Olympic Committee for the event and the trained young Japanese university student and others as English interpreters for the games. Even though it was Alaska cold and snowy I still managed to have a good time!

EcSTSatic
12-13-12, 09:01 AM
Congratulations!
All we got to pick in the Marines for duty station was east or west of the Mississippi. I had electronics in my contract when I enlisted. No guarantees if you failed the training though. After the evacuation of Saigon and the trip back to the states I volunteered for one more tour at MCAS Iwakuni Japan before my hitch ran out.

iwannaracecar
12-13-12, 10:14 AM
My only issue I have is I want to deploy and I've seen online ( I know don't believe everything online) that my ship maybe getting decommed starting in march. So no deployments for me for a while.

EcSTSatic
12-13-12, 12:24 PM
My only issue I have is I want to deploy and I've seen online ( I know don't believe everything online) that my ship maybe getting decommed starting in march. So no deployments for me for a while.

It happens. The USS Midway we used to deploy with is now a museum in San Diego !

dkozloski
12-13-12, 12:35 PM
My old ship is now raw material in India.

iwannaracecar
12-13-12, 01:53 PM
Wow I didn't realize how many Navy guys were on here, its great.

Submariner409
12-13-12, 02:30 PM
My old ship is now raw material in India.

I think that I've been shaving with mine for the last 30 years................

(Old rumor: Scrapped submarine inner pressure hulls = Gillette razor blades.)

At our 2009 reunion the rest of the guys from my crew in USS JAMES K POLK (SSBN/SSN 645) gave me a 2" x 2" x 3" piece of the pressure hull set into a walnut plaque. She was deactivated in 12/99 (33.5 years of service and never missed a deployment/commitment) and was taken apart at Bremerton, WA ship disassembly facility the next year. Her sail/planes are on display at the National Nuclear Power Museum in Albuquerque, NM. The diving stand, reactor plant and maneuvering room control panels (think: space shuttle pilot's seat panels) were on display at the Smithsonian Institution Museum of Arts and Science. Good boat. Went "in excess of 30 knots and 1325 feet" quite a few trips................ I was involved in 16 Poseidon C3 ICBM test shots.............

Multiply 1325 X .445 to come up with the pressure, in lb/sq.in., on the hull. Scary.

iwannaracecar
12-13-12, 04:05 PM
^
|
|
|

That's crazy.

LS1Mike
12-13-12, 08:08 PM
I think that I've been shaving with mine for the last 30 years................

(Old rumor: Scrapped submarine inner pressure hulls = Gillette razor blades.)

At our 2009 reunion the rest of the guys from my crew in USS JAMES K POLK (SSBN/SSN 645) gave me a 2" x 2" x 3" piece of the pressure hull set into a walnut plaque. She was deactivated in 12/99 (33.5 years of service and never missed a deployment/commitment) and was taken apart at Bremerton, WA ship disassembly facility the next year. Her sail/planes are on display at the National Nuclear Power Museum in Albuquerque, NM. The diving stand, reactor plant and maneuvering room control panels (think: space shuttle pilot's seat panels) were on display at the Smithsonian Institution Museum of Arts and Science. Good boat. Went "in excess of 30 knots and 1325 feet" quite a few trips................ I was involved in 16 Poseidon C3 ICBM test shots.............

Multiply 1325 X .445 to come up with the pressure, in lb/sq.in., on the hull. Scary.
My first Boat was SSBN 727...It is still punching holes but is now SSGN 727.

iwannaracecar
12-13-12, 09:45 PM
When I went into the recruiters I told them I would like to consider subs but they played subs out to b so horrible and all the gay jokes about hot racking and stuff so I decided against it but all the sub guys I've met have been pretty badass guys. I don't know y y'all get bad reps

EcSTSatic
12-14-12, 08:34 AM
Every branch has its humor and ribbing. Wish I had a dime for every jarhead joke I've heard. I think the Navy gets joked about more than any other branch. I think it has more to do with the long deployments in close quarters. Joke: You know why the Navy went to powdered soap? It takes longer to pick up:histeric:

dkozloski
12-14-12, 09:58 AM
Diesel sub sailors had that certain air about them. Other than that they were just like real people. Current sub sailors are indistinguishable.

LS1Mike
12-15-12, 01:57 PM
Diesel sub sailors had that certain air about them. Other than that they were just like real people. Current sub sailors are indistinguishable.
Not true. They sure are. As compare to the surface Navy. We/They are still a lot different.