: Cadillac STS dash cracking....Prevention.

1SGLAC
12-12-12, 09:58 AM
So I recently needed to have my dash replaced(2008 1SG N*). It started to crack near the H.U.Display and damn was i pissed. I use Meguiar's Dash protectent and a sunvisor all time and it still cracked. Luckly I was still covered by the warranty. On my previous Sts 2005, I replaced the dash too !!with a doner I found in the salvage yard. Very expensive part. My question is, How do you guys protect the dash from cracking? Any ideas? Sorry no garage for me yet

Ludacrisvp
12-12-12, 01:09 PM
Didn't know this was an issue on the STS. I've read about the escalade issues but that's it.

1SGLAC
12-12-12, 01:12 PM
could it be this Florida sun??

KRSTS
12-12-12, 01:47 PM
So I recently needed to have my dash replaced(2008 1SG N*). It started to crack near the H.U.Display and damn was i pissed. I use Meguiar's Dash protectent and a sunvisor all time and it still cracked. Luckly I was still covered by the warranty. On my previous Sts 2005, I replaced the dash too !!with a doner I found in the salvage yard. Very expensive part. My question is, How do you guys protect the dash from cracking? Any ideas? Sorry no garage for me yet

The only sure way I know to protect a cars plastic parts is to park in a garage

Ludacrisvp
12-12-12, 07:07 PM
It would probably also help to have ceramic tint on all windows. Even if it's as light as they make it just for the infrared heat blocking attributes. This would likely make a large difference in cracking.

curtc
12-12-12, 07:17 PM
It would probably also help to have ceramic tint on all windows. Even if it's as light as they make it just for the infrared heat blocking attributes. This would likely make a large difference in cracking.

It is illegal to tint the front window at all in most states AFIK. I know in here MN it is for sure...also only allowed a max of 50% on the rest on a passenger car here, so stupid.

Had 35% on my 95 STS when I was 19, got stopped numerous times for it.

Ceramic tint just on the rear and sides does work wonders when it comes to the heat build up in the summer though.

Ludacrisvp
12-12-12, 07:45 PM
It is illegal to tint the front window at all in most states AFIK. I know in here MN it is for sure...also only allowed a max of 50% on the rest on a passenger car here, so stupid.

Had 35% on my 95 STS when I was 19, got stopped numerous times for it.

Ceramic tint just on the rear and sides does work wonders when it comes to the heat build up in the summer though.

I have 50% on entire windshield on this car and my previous deville and 35% on my monte. The rest of the windows in the cars are 35% and the moonroof is 5% on all 3 of them.

I get pulled over the least (1 time) in the 08 STS (black cherry).
The most (15+ times) in the 02 deville DTS (bronzemist).
And only 3 times in the 01 monte SS is black with red checkered flags on the car (pace car) and a fiberglass ramair hood molded from camaro ss and aftermarket rims.
The monte has been tinted longer than any of the other cars.
Due to excessive migraines I have a medical exemption to the tinting laws in Minnesota. It requires a dated letter from doctor that is valid for 2 years and must have both start and end date. I wasn't aware of the option until one officer was nice enough to mention it to me. I haven't been issued a ticket since then except from one officer that "doesn't care what the doctor believes he is out there to enforce the law" went to courthouse on the defined date showed the document and was dismissed flat out no charges at all.
He fails to realize that the law has the exception written in it so in effect he isn't enforcing the law; rather he is enforcing what he believes to be the law.

You might be able to find some 90% ceramic film somewhere that could be done on the windshield that would be undetectable.

According to Minnesota state law the oem installed windshield violates the tinting law. Mn doesn't allow the tint above the AS1 line. Lots of cars have this tint (ours included) and have the whole windshield done (ours included) at 70%.

Charles Warren
12-12-12, 07:47 PM
I have ceramic on all windows including front windshield. 55 front windshield and 35 every other window. It looks dark from outside but looking out clear. And dash has no cracks, i use pledge on my interior

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-13-12, 07:13 AM
My dash is cracked too near the defrost vents, and the stitching at the top of the rear seat is breaking too. My guess for the cause is the sun. I have no tint, most cars look cleaner without tint IMO

wntride
12-16-12, 10:13 AM
In Wisconsin OEM tint from factory is excempt from the law.

curtc
12-16-12, 10:47 AM
In Wisconsin OEM tint from factory is excempt from the law.

Same in MN too I believe.

Charles Warren
12-19-12, 05:35 AM
My dash is cracked too near the defrost vents, and the stitching at the top of the rear seat is breaking too. My guess for the cause is the sun. I have no tint, most cars look cleaner without tint IMO if you go with a dark tint it looks funny unless the car is black. But i went light and ceramic comes in 50 and 70% which os clear

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-19-12, 08:21 PM
if you go with a dark tint it looks funny unless the car is black. But i went light and ceramic comes in 50 and 70% which os clear

Nice

----------

Hey guys I just got my replacement dash piece ( early Xmas present from my newest ex ;) ) it's the top dash piece with defrost vents and 3 speaker grilles...anybody have experience with removing/reinstalling this piece?

burkewm
02-13-13, 10:00 AM
Old thread I know, MING where did she get it from? I am on the gm parts website and looking at the parts diagram that includes that piece, it has no number and isn't listed.

ral1960
02-13-13, 11:53 AM
If the OP used a sun visor on his windshield religiously, then the cracking must have been caused by the heat build up in the car, not by direct sunlight. I don't think the heaviest windshield tinting is going to prevent cracking in that case. He needs to park in heavy shade or use a thick car cover on the outside.

DarkMingBlueSTS
02-13-13, 06:06 PM
Old thread I know, MING where did she get it from? I am on the gm parts website and looking at the parts diagram that includes that piece, it has no number and isn't listed.

I found it on ebay and she ordered it...i have tan interior but the piece is black...it actually looks good with the black on tan but one day I may smooth and paint it to match the exterior (blue)

nwjones18
02-13-13, 09:21 PM
You can order a tan one of gmpartsdirect mine ran around $115 with shipping, and it came with a new light sensor for the headlights. Just remove the interior trip panels on the pillars on either side of the windshield and it pops out. took me 30 min to change mine.

burkewm
02-13-13, 10:18 PM
That's where I'm looking, I don't see a number listed for it on the diagram... anyway you could point me towards it?

----------

Nevermind, think I got it. It's listed as the "defroster nozzle" , part #5 on the diagram, correct?

nwjones18
02-14-13, 07:43 AM
Yep that's correct. I had to stare at if for a while before i convinced myself what I needed was really called a 'defroster nozzle' as well.

burkewm
02-14-13, 12:58 PM
Cool thanks. On another note... why is the piece of weather stripping on the outside of the doors twice as much as a new dash???? Ridiculous...

Mullah88
02-15-13, 10:08 PM
Ok so to confirm the parts I contacted them and they told me this is what I needed parts# 25726430 "windshield defrost nozzle" but then I wanted to be sure, so I sent them pics and they emailed a different parts # 25774060 "windshield defroster nozzle grille"... Now I'm confused, which one is it? The parts 5 that says "defroster nozzle without heads up display or the ones they gave me"

Which one do I get?

Heres the email " Hi,

Thank you for your emailed inquiry to us at www.GmPartsDirect.com. We look forward to receiving your order. I entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below is the correct part number requested.

25774060- windshield defroster nozzle grille (cashmere)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=25774060&tid=2616

Please use the links provided to order and price the supplied part numbers, as the alternate parts catalog (TradeMotion catalog) may not list the part numbers supplied. Once the part numbers are added to the shopping cart the shipping and handling and order total will be displayed before entering any of your personal information or credit card number.

We want your order, please remember our delivered price is wholesale or less shipped to your door with out leaving the convenience of your house.

Thank you,

Ashley"

I also got the rear o'head lamp assembly parts# 25635368 (broke a clip when changing bulbs to led) and driver seat adjuster switch bezel parts# 88993973

nwjones18
02-16-13, 03:57 PM
Not sure, but mine was number 5 in the parts diagram. Its the parts that have the option for with and without hud.

Mullah88
02-19-13, 12:42 AM
Not sure, but mine was number 5 in the parts diagram. Its the parts that have the option for with and without hud.

So it is the right part? Thanks for confirming that, I'll order once I get home

ral1960
02-19-13, 02:11 AM
How tough is it to remove the soft, upper portion of the dash? It would be cool wrapped in leather if you could smooth it out and still have it fit. Ditto the steering wheel hub.

DarkMingBlueSTS
02-19-13, 11:48 AM
How tough is it to remove the soft, upper portion of the dash? It would be cool wrapped in leather if you could smooth it out and still have it fit. Ditto the steering wheel hub.

I would say that's the main part of the dash and removing that would be no fun I'm sure

Ludacrisvp
02-19-13, 12:09 PM
isn't the V dash leather wrapped?

1BadCadSTS
02-19-13, 12:12 PM
Carrier yes upper pad no.