: Hp# vs $

253ctsv
12-11-12, 02:33 AM
So I bought a 2005 ctsv about 6mo. Ago. By far the best thing I've ever bought (I'm only 27 so I haven't bought much I guess). What's cooler than a luxury car that sounds like an old muscle car? Nothing IMO.

Cut to the chase. After watching hours of videos on youtube and staying up way too late on this forum I'm really not sure where to begin. I'd like to add hp. Get to somewhere in the 5-700 range I think. If someone who's been there done that could tell me what I'm getting myself into and the best/ most cost effective way to get there. Also any tips for along the way? I.e replace the rear end before I blow it up... Also if anyone lives near Seattle and knows a local reputable shop that could do the work and tune it that'd be great. Or else I was thinking about finding one that does Camaro and corvettes... Thanks
[COLOR="Silver"]

FuzzyLogic
12-11-12, 02:37 AM
If you want to crest 500 RWHP while keeping the other characteristics of the car up to par, you're going to be putting in about $15,000 if you do all of the work yourself. Even then, you may (depending on your intended application) be at risk of destroying the differential, which will cost you another $4,000 to upgrade to an 8.8" IRS, or $6,800 for a 9" IRS. 700 RWHP is going to cost you about $30,000 if you do it all yourself. If you decide to have a shop do it all for you, don't be surprised when they charge $80-90/hour.

A more realistic goal (i.e.: reaching 400 RWHP) will probably run you around $7,000, including tools and parts. It's a great introduction to wrenching on cars. If I were you, I'd try my hand at installing a LS7 clutch. If that doesn't break you, then transition to handling mods. Torque is only one small piece of going fast. Recommend reading the book Going Faster! by the Skip Barber school. It's the best performance mod you can invest in right now, in my opinion.

253ctsv
12-11-12, 03:12 AM
Thanks. The problem with doing it myself is I don't have a Garage :/ or the tools. And I figured it would be worth the money to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

So it looks like I would be better off replacing the ls6 rather than modding it... I've got about 10k to play with in the next few months. I wanted to do exhaust and some cosmetic stuff first though.

odthetruth
12-11-12, 07:28 AM
Thanks. The problem with doing it myself is I don't have a Garage :/ or the tools. And I figured it would be worth the money to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

So it looks like I would be better off replacing the ls6 rather than modding it... I've got about 10k to play with in the next few months. I wanted to do exhaust and some cosmetic stuff first though.

With 10k, you can get into the 400+rwhp (~500 crank horsepower) without much issue. 10k should get you a good heads\cam setup, ported tb, headers and tune IMO. That in itself would put you in the low to mid 400s (420-440rwhp is what we see on avg) but I'm unsure on what they'll charge you for it. You'll have to shop around on that one.

I spent ~$60 fabbing up a FFV type intake tube, $625 for Pacesetter Headers, Off road extensions, ARP bolts, and wrap. Dropped another $375 for electrical exhaust cutouts. Removed cats and kept stock catback. Then paid $500 for tune. Total was 1560 just on parts. Installation for everything probably came out to about $300 for me. I paid about 240 to have headers put on... and paid about 60 to have the Y pipes from the cutouts welded in place. Thats from 330 to 370+rwhp.

With 8 more grand, you should be able to do alot, especially if you get it all done in 1 shot.

Skidmarcx
12-11-12, 12:53 PM
$4500 for a drivetrain from Creative Steel, clutch of your choice, intake/exhaust of your choice... And 150 shot nitrous... That way you can tell people they got whooped on by a stock ls6

runsfromdacops
12-11-12, 04:55 PM
best bang for the buck. heads, cam,headers and a fast 92im/tb combo. your also going to want a new clutch flywheel adn ls7 slave regardless of the mods you do.
all that should put you around 425-450 whp,

if y0u oneed alittle more power then you can do a 100-150 shot on top.

also you can look into a maggie.

also concider that if you beat on the car the stock diff WILL break.not if but when.
so set aside 2k ish for a v2 diff or 4k for the CS 8.8 diff

-alex

Andringa
12-11-12, 05:00 PM
Welcome.

Why do you want so much horsepower?

I think that a stock V is a very balanced car(i.e. noise/power/handling), adding that much power and leaving the rest of the car completely stock would be a waste of money and time.

253ctsv
12-11-12, 06:44 PM
Thanks Alex. I'd like to supercharge, not so much nos though. But I know if I supercharge the added compression and heat means I need a slew of other things with it right? Which I know not much about. I was kind of hoping someone's done it before n could tell me exactly what they did and how much it was. Maybe that's too optimistic lol.

----------

Welcome.

Why do you want so much horsepower?

I think that a stock V is a very balanced car(i.e. noise/power/handling), adding that much power and leaving the rest of the car completely stock would be a waste of money and time.

Well I'm a guy and I'm 27 and I want a fast bad ass car. I can't have some d bag rolling up next to me in a 500hp Honda running his mouth (I know one) I know other things will come in the next few years as far as handling and i know ill need to drop some cash on a rear end too. As far as noise I'm not sure what I'd upgrade there I want it to be louder. Cosmetics, I want to get all the chrome and wheels black chrome and windows tinted, the car is more or less pleasing to the eye already. So I'm not really sure what you mean by "waste of money". Unless your talking about waiting to upgrade suspension?

runsfromdacops
12-11-12, 06:56 PM
so if you want to go supercharged

a used maggie kit i think should be around 4k
i good cam is going to be 300$
and header are around 400ish
plus a good clutch setup id say 800 ish to be safe

Skidmarcx
12-11-12, 07:25 PM
If you want to go the Maggie route I personally wouldn't do the cam unless you're dead set on it... Ls6 cam is a good cam... If you have e85 in your area that's the best thing you can do... It'll require a ton of fuel, so a custom fuel pump will be necessary... That will bring you to the 500whp mark or higher

253ctsv
12-11-12, 07:49 PM
[/COLOR]What's e85? And would it be bad to have a big cam with a supercharger? Also do I then need new pistons and internals? If I can get to 500ish with that I might as well get new heads n stuff too and push it.

darkman
12-11-12, 08:19 PM
[/COLOR]What's e85? And would it be bad to have a big cam with a supercharger? Also do I then need new pistons and internals? If I can get to 500ish with that I might as well get new heads n stuff too and push it.

E85 is fuel made of 15% AND 85% ethanol. It offers high octane, which prevents knock, and provides cooling from the alcohol. This allows, all else equal, higher compression ratios and more timing advance. However, the volumetric energy content (energy per gallon) is less than regular gasoline such that E85 builds usually require larger capacity fuel pumps and/or tanks. Additionally, E85 should contemplate conversion back to normal fuel since the availabilty is limited to certain areas. Finally E85 may disappear altogether at some point since it is not good for the environment.

253ctsv
12-11-12, 08:40 PM
Ah thanks. I'd likely not want to go that rout...

So if I get the new motor and tranny mounts, clutch and fly wheel. Is it possible to get 5-700whp with Maggie, full exhaust with headers, heads and cam for 10-15k? What else might help me get a little more hp or keep from blowing it up? Should I also be looking for things like forged pistons and titanium valves/pushrods ect?

----------

I guess maybe it would have been easier if I never asked this question and just spent my week off for Christmas picking through the forums :/

Skidmarcx
12-11-12, 08:54 PM
Sounds to me like you're better off A using nitrous.... Or B building a stroker motor if you want that much power... Or C do more research and reevaluate

I8URSVT
12-11-12, 09:36 PM
maggie is maxed out at ~500ish. I'm looking into eventually doing an LS3 top end and then going with an E-force supercharger (I've got a LS2 not an LS6). its bigger and you can run more boost without maxing it out. But you will likely need to upgrade the internals to handle the higher boost...and if your upgradding internals then you might as well go stroker...it just snowballs.

best advice is to do as much research as you can and only do things once and the way you want it the first time. make sure your combo will work well together. If you cant figure it out, make sure you pay someone who knows what they are doing...last thing you want is to spend all that money and then blow it up and have nothing and start all over.

253ctsv
12-11-12, 10:54 PM
maggie is maxed out at ~500ish. I'm looking into eventually doing an LS3 top end and then going with an E-force supercharger (I've got a LS2 not an LS6). its bigger and you can run more boost without maxing it out. But you will likely need to upgrade the internals to handle the higher boost...and if your upgradding internals then you might as well go stroker...it just snowballs.

best advice is to do as much research as you can and only do things once and the way you want it the first time. make sure your combo will work well together. If you cant figure it out, make sure you pay someone who knows what they are doing...last thing you want is to spend all that money and then blow it up and have nothing and start all over.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'd like to do!

odthetruth
12-11-12, 11:27 PM
Well I'm a guy and I'm 27 and I want a fast bad ass car. I can't have some d bag rolling up next to me in a 500hp Honda running his mouth (I know one) I know other things will come in the next few years as far as handling and i know ill need to drop some cash on a rear end too. As far as noise I'm not sure what I'd upgrade there I want it to be louder. Cosmetics, I want to get all the chrome and wheels black chrome and windows tinted, the car is more or less pleasing to the eye already. So I'm not really sure what you mean by "waste of money". Unless your talking about waiting to upgrade suspension?

Just a heads up, a Honda making 500hp has a high probability of beating a V making 500hp. It would possibly beat a V making 600hp due to weight differences. This of course is assuming its built correct with a good power curve.

What did you mean by 'Chrome'? Please don't tell me chrome mirrors, chrome vents, etc. LOL

I'd go heads/cam/headers/tune. This will add power AND will upgrade your exhaust sound both. This seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Maybe you should check youtube for some heads\cam CTS-Vs with muffler deletes or cutouts.

Here's a nasty lil V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LyHF-gOiM0

I've never seen a headers\cam combo make less then 400rwhp on dyno in either the LS6 or LS2. Ever.
Its truly something worth considering, and for the money your looking to spend, it falls perfect in your budget.

253ctsv
12-12-12, 12:53 AM
Yeah that's why I was hoping for closer to 700 :/

Not chrome everything lol. I want to get the wheels and everything that's already chrome done in black chrome. Someone had their wheels done black chrome on here and I thought it would look good to get the grille and other chrome done the same...

So if i went cam, heads exhaust how much rwhp could i expect. and if i wanted a supercharger too how much more could i get?

fej
12-12-12, 01:06 AM
First RWD car and you want 700whp? Take lots of pictures and save your receipts as you may be calling your insurance agent.

IMO I would suggest a well thought out heads/intake/exhaust package with a cam choice that will work N/A. Something a reputable tuner has done before and made 4xx rwhp with. A cam swap later when moving to a charger isn't a huge deal.

Take a couple of thousand in your budget and do some driving schools or some autocross or track time to learn the limits you have now in the car near stock to gain the experience to keep big power on the road not in a ditch. Ton of you tube videos of big HP cars with drivers running out of talent.

G'luck
Fej

253ctsv
12-12-12, 01:11 AM
Thanks man. I was actually thinking about some driving courses...

dedeaux89
12-12-12, 01:16 AM
You need to get a new platform. Sell your car take your cash and get the new CTS-V or a bad ass corvette. I haven't even seen a 700 hp V1 CTS-V on these forums or any other forum. Beating a 500 hp honda won't make your d*ck any bigger or really mean anything. Our vehicles are pretty limited unless you spend f*ck tons upon f*ck tons of money. Get to the 500rwhp mark and be happy and just have a good solid fast sedan. There will always be a car faster than yours out there so accept that and enjoy what you have and can afford.

runsfromdacops
12-12-12, 01:35 AM
piston and rod motor. head studs. and a f1r with a cog setup and you can have your 700-800 whp ctsv.but your going to be in it at the low end 12-17k. and you still need a clutch and a good rear end.
im not trying to tell you its out of you reach or cant be done as i my self am doing a twin turbo V and im shooting for 1k whp. but i have a shit ton of $$ i my car

-alex

FuzzyLogic
12-12-12, 06:15 AM
piston and rod motor. head studs. and a f1r with a cog setup and you can have your 700-800 whp ctsv.but your going to be in it at the low end 12-17k. and you still need a clutch and a good rear end.
im not trying to tell you its out of you reach or cant be done as i my self am doing a twin turbo V and im shooting for 1k whp. but i have a shit ton of $$ i my car

-alex

Spoken like someone who has no idea how to accomplish any of what he just said.

Go talk to the guys who have invested $30,000 to $50,000 trying to exceed 750 RWHP on their builds. Once you get beyond building a $9,000 forged and balanced 416 CID LS3 motor, and buying and/or custom fabricating your $7,000 to $12,000 TVS2300, 3.3L Whipple, or Procharger F1A setup, you have to account for the cost of having your entire drivetrain (clutch, transmission, driveshaft, differential, and axles) rebuilt to the highest possible standards, plus fueling (a nightmare in itself), which will run you at least another thousand dollars. The prerequisite for even STARTING that build is custom wheels and suspension to manage that kind of power is a safe manner. Only one person, as far as I know, has ever exceeded 800 RWHP on a first generation CTS-V. I'll let him speak for himself, should he choose to show up on this thread. This is what his CTS-V wound up looking like:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-124.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-122.jpg

You guys have a very, very long way to go. Some of you don't even know how to get into the gas tank yet, let alone designing your own custom surge tank with dual integrated inline Bosch 044 pumps fed by a regulatorless feed pump and -8 AN (1/2") plumbing.

253ctsv
12-12-12, 08:43 AM
Nice car. Guess the general consensus is I shoot for 4-500 range and save my pennies for a v2. Thanks for your input everyone

HAMSTAR
12-12-12, 11:14 AM
Nice car. Guess the general consensus is I shoot for 4-500 range and save my pennies for a v2. Thanks for your input everyone

And don't over-cam it. Go for power under the curve. Peak HP is for goons.

253ctsv
12-12-12, 11:42 AM
And don't over-cam it. Go for power under the curve. Peak HP is for goons.

Makes sense. Thanks

----------

So does anyone have a good setup to recommend? And or a shop in western wa?

OneFast V
12-12-12, 12:33 PM
You need to get a new platform. Sell your car take your cash and get the new CTS-V or a bad ass corvette. I haven't even seen a 700 hp V1 CTS-V on these forums or any other forum. Beating a 500 hp honda won't make your d*ck any bigger or really mean anything. Our vehicles are pretty limited unless you spend f*ck tons upon f*ck tons of money. Get to the 500rwhp mark and be happy and just have a good solid fast sedan. There will always be a car faster than yours out there so accept that and enjoy what you have and can afford.

LStech has at least 1 guy making 800whp with prochargers.. Jweymar on this site makes 640whp with an LS3 and eforce.

etcts-v
12-12-12, 12:57 PM
Another Seattle guy, come by my shop and I'll edumacate you on lots of good ways to spend money on your car. I did all my own work, heads/cam/clutch/headers/exhaust/bushings/coilovers/sways/grip of exterior and interior mods/ stereo & lots more. I also have HP Tuners and a couple other advanced ODB software diagnostic tools.

FYI a good tuner in the area: http://www.carbconn.com/

Also a 500hp front wheel drive Honda is shit, you can't put that power down in any useful way on front wheel drive IMO. :thepan:

253ctsv
12-12-12, 01:42 PM
Sweet thanks man ill check it out after work. And i know about the Hondas, that's why I went american

etcts-v
12-12-12, 01:55 PM
Also this guy is down in Vancouver but is one of the best LS guys in the area, comes highly recommended by the Corvette guys, especially for engine builds. He did my Dyno tune, which left something to be desired, but I would recommended him for builds or cam/head swaps, super nice guy. Check out his facebook page and you'll see pics of a bunch of builds including a few V2's: http://www.wongsperformance.com/

253ctsv
12-12-12, 06:00 PM
Another Seattle guy, come by my shop and I'll edumacate you on lots of good ways to spend money on your car. I did all my own work, heads/cam/clutch/headers/exhaust/bushings/coilovers/sways/grip of exterior and interior mods/ stereo & lots more. I also have HP Tuners and a couple other advanced ODB software diagnostic tools.

FYI a good tuner in the area: http://www.carbconn.com/

Also a 500hp front wheel drive Honda is shit, you can't put that power down in any useful way on front wheel drive IMO. :thepan:

Where is your shop? I'm interested in whatever first hand info I can get

253ctsv
12-12-12, 11:20 PM
Called the guy at that shop, seemed pretty pricy. Maybe I get someone else to do my exhaust, clutch and mounts and have the do the motor and tune. Idk...

253ctsv
12-13-12, 12:49 AM
So lots or reading online. And it seems a ls3 may be a better way to go? Forged shot block with shipping for around 3500. I could sell my whole ls6 for 2500-3500 and have my whole budget to build a ls3 stroker? Could this be an option for me?

etcts-v
12-13-12, 01:34 AM
Called the guy at that shop, seemed pretty pricy. Maybe I get someone else to do my exhaust, clutch and mounts and have the do the motor and tune. Idk...

I'm in North Seattle right next to North Seattle Community College. The shops just at my house, you'll have to bring your ride over, e-mail me at elliot@seattlecustomauto.com

We can knock your exhaust, mounts and clutch out no problem if you don't pull it all out for an LS3!

Andringa
12-13-12, 11:17 AM
So lots or reading online. And it seems a ls3 may be a better way to go? Forged shot block with shipping for around 3500. I could sell my whole ls6 for 2500-3500 and have my whole budget to build a ls3 stroker? Could this be an option for me?

Dude, slow down. You need to learn how to walk before you can run.

You have a good, relatively fast car, learn how to drive it the way it is. Go to a drag strip, go to an autocross, go to an actual road course and I'll assume that you will find out that the car is already more than you know how to control.

If all you want is to pay somebody so that you can go out on Saturday night and talk shit about how fast your car is, you'll probably need more than $10k to impress anyone.

253ctsv
12-13-12, 12:15 PM
Dude, slow down. You need to learn how to walk before you can run.

You have a good, relatively fast car, learn how to drive it the way it is. Go to a drag strip, go to an autocross, go to an actual road course and I'll assume that you will find out that the car is already more than you know how to control.

If all you want is to pay somebody so that you can go out on Saturday night and talk shit about how fast your car is, you'll probably need more than $10k to impress anyone.

As much as I like hearing your opinion of what I should do with my car and time it's not really necessary. I didn't ask how I can be a professional race car driver. So what if I build a fast car that ill never have the ability to push to the limits. I have a 2005 Yamaha r1 that ill never be capable of riding anywhere near the potential that it has. So what? I still like it. I wouldn't wanna trade it for a 600 just because I can't push it to its limits. So while I appreciate your opinion, all your negativity isn't needed.

Yes I know ill end up spending more than 10g on my car. Yes I know I'm going to need a new rear end. But right now for the next few months this is what I have and this is what I'm looking for.

Skidmarcx
12-13-12, 01:41 PM
An LS3 is definitely a good route to go... Stroker can get you some good power... You won't need retarded mods to the fuel system... I think a single Walbro 255 would suffice which is a direct fit in the basket. You'll still be spending some coin though... Heads, intake, exhaust won't be cheap

FuzzyLogic
12-13-12, 07:01 PM
An LS3 is definitely a good route to go... Stroker can get you some good power... You won't need retarded mods to the fuel system... I think a single Walbro 255 would suffice which is a direct fit in the basket. You'll still be spending some coin though... Heads, intake, exhaust won't be cheap

You couldn't possibly be any more wrong about the fuel pump. But don't listen to me--talk to some of the guys making 600+ RWHP.

Skidmarcx
12-13-12, 07:22 PM
True making 600 at the wheels would require more pump... But with a boost a pump it would still support a good amount of power to start...

sssnake
12-13-12, 07:24 PM
You couldn't possibly be any more wrong about the fuel pump. But don't listen to me--talk to some of the guys making 600+ RWHP.

Truth - unfortunately

sssnake
12-13-12, 07:28 PM
True making 600 at the wheels would require more pump... But with a boost a pump it would still support a good amount of power to start...

Sorry you posted moments before I did. BAP will work up to a point but if you are going big hp I would look at other pump solutions. Unfortunately I got into my build naively (at least on the fueling side ) so changes they are a comin'

Skidmarcx
12-13-12, 07:40 PM
I'm just giving ideas... People tend to rethink their goals when they find out how much money and work is involved with setting up a high HP fuel system in these cars... The 255 is easy and cheap and it will get the car rolling with some good numbers with an ls3... Perhaps not a stroker setup thats probably not realistic as mentioned... And with caution the stock rear will hold up... With a limited budget what do you do first??

253ctsv
12-13-12, 07:58 PM
I'm just giving ideas... People tend to rethink their goals when they find out how much money and work is involved with setting up a high HP fuel system in these cars... The 255 is easy and cheap and it will get the car rolling with some good numbers with an ls3... Perhaps not a stroker setup thats probably not realistic as mentioned... And with caution the stock rear will hold up... With a limited budget what do you do first??

Exactly (about the budget lol) " yeah my car, stock hp. But that rear end... That thing can handle 1000hp..." Lol. I do appreciate all the ideas and constructive criticism though.

dkozloski
12-13-12, 08:00 PM
All the thrashing you "V" guys do with superchargers, turbos, and the Lord knows what else makes a guy appreciate even more what Robert Yates, Hendrick, Childress, and the rest of the NASCAR engine builders have accomplished. Consistant rumors abound that they are getting very close to 1000 FWHP normally aspirated and with most of the established teams failures are uncommon. All it takes is cubic money.

253ctsv
12-13-12, 08:25 PM
Bah.

Overd0s3
12-13-12, 08:58 PM
700 wheel HP : Possible on a v1? yes. Worth the money and time, taking into account the v2 is avail for <40k now? NO
Sell and go V2.

Skidmarcx
12-13-12, 09:10 PM
I have to agree with the above statement... Settle for a realistic 500whp and put money into the suspension and drivetrain... RevShift is releasing control arm bushings soon which is long overdue for the car. The car is more than capable of performing with the appropriate mods

I8URSVT
12-13-12, 09:35 PM
the V2 is ~450-500lbs heavier and bigger. While i have not driven a V2, I've read that some people think that the V1 was more fun to drive. The V2 has more power so in that regard there isnt a comparison and the creature comforts are more "refined". The V1 is raw. I think they both look great, but I like the looks of the V1 better.

I think a V1 with V2 power and upgraded rearend and suspension would be the ultimate.

The fuel system will certainly be the tricky part...there are a bunch of engine builds on corvette and other forums, so you know what combos work well and make what kind of power.

fre1102
12-13-12, 10:37 PM
700 wheel HP : Possible on a v1? yes. Worth the money and time, taking into account the v2 is avail for <40k now? NO
Sell and go V2.

That's the thread I'd like to read. I'm going through these forums wondering if I'd just dropped all the money and angst some of these guys seemed to (the pictures of the silver V with the hood bulge make me cringe at the time and money that it must have taken to get from OEM to there--I'm imagining a sea of AN fittings under that hood and two years of lost weekends and UPS packages), would I have preferred to have dropped the V1 at stock and just gone V2. Or more to the point, should *I* trade my V1 in on a V2 or open up my wallet and start adding parts? You could probably get a used V2 for your car and $20 - 25k. I guess the question is would the same $25k spent on a V1 give you a car that's more fun.

I have no idea. Anyone have a FrankenV1 and have any time in a V2 to compare?

fej
12-13-12, 10:37 PM
A good friend of mine has a Roush Yates NASCAR truck series motor in a 66 mustang coupe. It's nasty, like roll into the throttle at 75mph on the freeway and carry the car sideways for some time nasty. 850fwhp. For $25k you could get something very similar. Not sure what the Chevy version would be, but $25-30k is a decent ball park. Then another $15k in supporting mods and you would have one hell of a conversation piece, and a real fast car heh

Fej

fre1102
12-13-12, 10:59 PM
Yeah, except I'm really not looking for a conversation piece. I just want my V...only more so. More grunt, more brakes, sharper handling, etc., etc., etc. Just...more. Not really any set goal, just more than I have now. And when I have that, probably more after that. :D Which is probably what the guys with 700 h.p. and $5000 of anodized fittings under their hoods wanted when they first took out the credit card, too.

I'm just wondering if the guys that did it would do it again, or if they'd just start with a V2. I have no idea, really.

I've got a '68 GT convertible with a 390 and a Tri-Power in the garage for when I want to make myself suffer with a project car. The V I just want to drive. I'm willing to take it apart, same as everything else, but I'm not particularly interested in braking any new ground. Of course, I don't think I need 700 h.p., either.

(Which is probably what those other guys said, too.. :D )

The most ambitious I was feeling was waiting to see if anyone had a roadmap for the Edelbrok (E-Force?) supercharger on the V1, since it seems to be the preferred alternative to the Magnusson. But it looks like you're not just buying and wrenching--some stuff doesn't fit, or something? There's no kit? Put on those FG4 (or 2, or whatever the list recommended) shocks that I got on eBay and see if it needed new springs or something. There's simply no way I'm making up my own fuel dump tank for this car. At least not while I'm driving it to work.

I was just wondering if I should sell the shocks on eBay, forget the supercharger and just get a V2. Or is a supercharged V1 every bit as fun as a V2?

253ctsv
12-13-12, 11:07 PM
I'm not going to lie. When I bought mine I expected it to be faster. Not that it isn't fast or anything. I just thought it'd be more scary fast...

Skidmarcx
12-13-12, 11:20 PM
I'd get a v2 if that's what you want... And because they have potential... They are nice cars I'd get one if I had the money, but I LMAO at people that make threads "traded my v1 for a v2" "it's so much better with more power"... Steep price to pay to go bottom 12's if you ask me. You can easily get a v1 to do that for much less

Overd0s3
12-14-12, 01:33 AM
I'm not going to lie. When I bought mine I expected it to be faster. Not that it isn't fast or anything. I just thought it'd be more scary fast...

Everytime I buy a car I think this, V was included. You will learn to drive it and use its power band better and it will seem faster, trust me. Give it a month and you'll know what I mean... while you debate, order yourself a short throw. Worth its weight in gold imo

Andringa
12-14-12, 10:48 AM
As much as I like hearing your opinion of what I should do with my car and time it's not really necessary. I didn't ask how I can be a professional race car driver. So what if I build a fast car that ill never have the ability to push to the limits. I have a 2005 Yamaha r1 that ill never be capable of riding anywhere near the potential that it has. So what? I still like it. I wouldn't wanna trade it for a 600 just because I can't push it to its limits. So while I appreciate your opinion, all your negativity isn't needed.

Yes I know ill end up spending more than 10g on my car. Yes I know I'm going to need a new rear end. But right now for the next few months this is what I have and this is what I'm looking for.

You are right, in the end it's your money and time, you can spend both however you like. This forum is a great resource for the CTS-V, if you are serious about a big HP build you should see what the guys over at www.ls1tech.com have to say. There are a bunch of people and information that overlap between the sites, but there's some information on LS engines over there that would be helpful.

etcts-v
12-14-12, 06:40 PM

You should hit this guy up, offer him $600 for the whole setup. It's been on Craigslist for at least 2 months. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3448129828.html

Skidmarcx
12-14-12, 07:10 PM
Damn that's a good deal

etcts-v
12-14-12, 08:43 PM
Damn that's a good deal

Right! Almost makes me want to sell my pacesetters and magnaflow setup and upgrade!

Skidmarcx
12-14-12, 09:17 PM
I'd like to step up to 3" exhaust... But I want to keep my Kooks

253ctsv
12-14-12, 09:45 PM
No don't do that. I just called , no answer lol

----------

So question... Will no cats fix the whole melting starter problem? Lol

Skidmarcx
12-14-12, 10:39 PM
Proper insulation will delay that from happening

253ctsv
12-14-12, 10:41 PM
Proper insulation will delay that from happening

I already had the problem with the plug. Need to get something to shield it. Was hoping maybe no cats would help too

Skidmarcx
12-14-12, 11:23 PM
Well getting headers does move the cats, but again if things aren't well insulated its only a matter of time...

dedeaux89
12-15-12, 12:56 PM
Fried my starter with stock cats and manifolds. Realized I needed to shield the new MSD starter I had from heat, I bought some Kooks 1 7/8 headers wrapped them and installed the starter with heat shield surrounding it at the same time. Feel more confident that I'm not going to fry it again

Hammar
12-17-12, 12:35 PM
Throwing another log on the opinion blaze... I've pieced my '05 together over a couple years, and really enjoy it. I've got similar goals as you noted early on and ENJOY THE PATH TO GET THERE AS MUCH AS THE DESTINATION. (ie: a V2 might be ~same money, but I take a lot of pride in what I built myself). That said, here's my 'almost dream V1' set up.

LS9 clutch
Creative Steel rearend
Hawk pads and rotors
Bushings, short-throw shifter, .....
Innovate Wideband and ?? boost gage

- do the foundation stuff first, while you still have budget in hand :)

Then headers in to the stock resonator.
Oversized damper
MP112 Maggy kit from Hendryx. At ~9.5psi, it's blowing a lot of hot air. Methanol injection or a little nitrous in the intake calms it down some.

I've never had the oil pan or valve covers off. Just change the oil, keep the timing modest, enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm close to 500 at the wheels, a meth kit and some timing might spin the number. I'm just not that worried about needing the dyno chart.

It's a riot to drive, requires very little work and I can still pull 26mpg on the highway. I just rolled 126k miles this past weekend, it might be a time bomb, but so far..... it just keeps tickin ;) I'll do forged internal when it blows, but I think they're very overrated for what you're talking.

I'll refrain from adding to the 5 pages of 'your opinion is stupid' comments. Hope you find what works for you.

Hammar
Maggied 2005 CTSV

thebigjimsho
12-19-12, 08:33 AM

Negativity?

----------

the V2 is ~450-500lbs heavier and bigger. While i have not driven a V2, I've read that some people think that the V1 was more fun to drive. The V2 has more power so in that regard there isnt a comparison and the creature comforts are more "refined". The V1 is raw. I think they both look great, but I like the looks of the V1 better.

I think a V1 with V2 power and upgraded rearend and suspension would be the ultimate.

The fuel system will certainly be the tricky part...there are a bunch of engine builds on corvette and other forums, so you know what combos work well and make what kind of power.
I still miss my V1. I was very happy with its 440hp and better tossability. The V2 is so refined and amazing. But its not perfect. I'm interested in seeing how light the Gen 3 CTS is...

253ctsv
12-20-12, 01:14 AM
Negativity was in response to people telling me to buy driving classes, sell it and get a better platform or other "advice" I was generally not interested in.

RyRidesMotoX
12-20-12, 09:36 AM
I think they were saying stuff like that cuz they though you were a troll in here or something. For the money this car is sic. I have had a bunch of compliments on it even though its not the fastest. Just do a little research, find a reputable local shop and do a head, cam, intake mani, header and exhaust package. Hopefully you can pick up a used intake Mani and maybe a set of used headers or get a deal on pacesetters, have the stock head worked on to save some cash and you might be able to keep it under $5k and maybe throw in some anti hop axles for another $1k (since you don't have a garage to work on em in). You will be pretty impressed. I gather that you have driven Hondas before this? An LS block V8 is totally different. Where in any 4 banger your power band is in the stratosphere, the LS6/2 in these things has power everywhere. A good h/c/i/e combo that works together will give you alot of power under the curve and that is what's important really. Though, my last 4 banger turbo was faster than the V it was also lighter and FWD(eww).

FoD
12-20-12, 10:02 AM
To add to the above, the reason people were telling you to get lessons was not because they thought you can't drive...it was for YOUR safety, and OTHERS! No one wants you to kill anyone, including yourself. Lots of power in a RWD car can be dangerous if you have never driven one/had that much power before. You Tube dumbasses with Lambos crashing, or the 12 year old Bieber wannabe that crashed his M3. It wasn't an attack on you.

I do agree with the above. Do the basic mods, then tackle the top of the motor. If you still "need" more, then do the bottom end, or go F/I...or both! :highfive:

darkman
12-20-12, 10:39 AM
The throttle works both ways.

Mike Hailwood

253ctsv
12-20-12, 07:21 PM
Never had a Honda. First street bike I bought weighed 400lbs and has 180hp. I think like a 10.1 quarter mile from the factory. People automatically think "you're gonna kill yourself" we'll I didn't. And I could easily do just as much harm in a 400hp car. So while I appreciate the "concern" I wasn't asking for a "what I would do" or "what you should do". I asked how I could make my car over 500whp. Maybe one in 10 posts actually addresses my question and I'd like to just delete it now. Maybe an admin could help me out with that.

etcts-v
12-20-12, 07:28 PM
^^ Yo sorry I missed you last weekend got in trouble with the lady and was in the dog house all weekend, haha. If you're free this sunday, swing by the house, I'll e-mail you my address!

253ctsv
12-20-12, 07:28 PM
I'm going to sum up my whole problem. I asked a question. Rather than answer my question 4/5 people tell me what I should do and be happy with instead. I think most people would find that annoying. And then I have to come on here and defend myself. How do I delete this whole thing?

HAMSTAR
12-20-12, 08:48 PM
Dude, it's the internet. People say all kinds of obnoxious shit because they're anonymous. Don't take it personally, man. Look up these guys histories-- it's full of people saying the same kind of shit to them. It's cool man, you seem like a level-headed dude. Stick around and pretty soon you'll be razzing the new guys too.

odthetruth
12-20-12, 09:10 PM
Thread closed. I think OP figured it out.