: an obvious lie

liweih21
12-10-12, 10:49 PM
Hi, I don't usually get angry.
I was been told and read everywhere that the 04-06 pontiac gto FRONT struts with springs and end links fit the 97-01 catera.

So I had someone put the whole unit on - yes, it does fit, even though the end link is smaller. Guess what, the oem 225/55/16 doesn't fit, I had to go down to 195/50/16 (what a joke).

Why is it I never read about this part anywhere, it's been > 10 years!

Now I waste $200 and have to get oem struts then get the GTO springs out and put back in and see if that works.

I miss half day of work and >40miles back and fro.

geez guys.

MoistCabbage
12-11-12, 02:20 PM
I don't think I've ever read that the struts are compatible, only the springs. The SHOCKS are compatible.

A 195/50/16 is a full 2 inches shorter than a 225/55/16. That's WAY more than enough to cause speedometer and odometer errors, and if you didn't change the rears as well, it'll throw ABS and TCS codes.

elvin315
12-11-12, 09:22 PM
I know I never said the front GTO struts fit. The front springs and front brake calipers fit. The rear springs and shocks will fit but it means disabling the rear leveling compressor by adjusting the triggering tab or removing the compressor itself. Sorry you went through the bother and expence but next time ask instead of believing what you read. That info might be outdated or just plain wrong.

liweih21
12-23-12, 07:32 PM
Moistcabbage,

I end up with 185/55/16 for the two front tires because I was attempting to fit the front GTO struts, it didn't work out so I swapped back the Catera original front struts. My back are still 225/55/16.
Now I have TCS and ABS going over 55mph and every time restart the car the code clears. Please verify what you said I need to change the front back to 225/55/16 soon...

----------

I think I misread the front strut MOUNT and clip/screw/nut fits, not the strut assembly itself.
Anyway, I may get another catera, the one have is kind of messed up. With catera about $5000 and resale about $1500 I am looking at Saturn Aura as well. I cannot afford GTO or CTS as this is my secondary car.

MoistCabbage
12-24-12, 11:30 AM
Now I have TCS and ABS going over 55mph and every time restart the car the code clears. Please verify what you said I need to change the front back to 225/55/16 soon...the TCS and ABS systems rely on input from all 4 wheel speed sensors. Since the fronts are now of a smaller diameter, they turn more revolutions than the rears to cover the same distance. The computer "sees" this as faulty wheel speed sensors, sets a code, triggers warnings, and disables both systems.