: Uniside body opening seal replacement

neverlateSTS
12-10-12, 09:28 PM
Has anyone replaced the seal that our feet tend to tear up on the body opening? I purchased a new seal and will install but wonder if there is anything i should know before replacing it. Any tricks or problems?

ddalder
12-10-12, 09:57 PM
Very straight forward. Position it so that the seam is in roughly the same as the current seal. I would start in the top 90 degree corner of the opening. Just make sure you firmly press it onto the lip all the way around. These are not attached with any form of sealant so it is very easy. The carpet retainer (some call it the sill plate) must be removed first.

neverlateSTS
12-11-12, 11:56 AM
Very straight forward. Position it so that the seam is in roughly the same as the current seal. I would start in the top 90 degree corner of the opening. Just make sure you firmly press it onto the lip all the way around. These are not attached with any form of sealant so it is very easy. The carpet retainer (some call it the sill plate) must be removed first.

thanks i noticed 2 lengths of thin rubber about 6 in long hanging out of the new seal from one of the groove areas not sure if it was just from a bad die or if it even matters the rest of that same surface is in tact all around the seal almost looks like it could have been intentional

ddalder
12-11-12, 12:15 PM
Yes, that is intentional in the manufacturing process. This is an installation tool used at the manufacturing plant because the weather strip is installed before the A or B pillar trim. If you pull that rubber "string" all the way around the door opening, it pulls the edge of the weather strip out from underneath the trim panels, finishing the installation. This is ultimately meant to come off and be discarded. This generally isn't necessary if you're simply replacing the existing part.

neverlateSTS
12-11-12, 08:42 PM
Thank you so much for the explaination. I had a feeling it was as you stated i come from a manufacturing design background and have added many convenience features for assemblers to aid in their tasks over the years. Mostly spent breaking the sound barrier or some poor souls favorite crystal vase.