: 1984 Eldorado Convertible - paint/interior colors

steveclv
12-10-12, 06:43 PM
I am ordering some paint to airbrush some patches on the car and I have discovered that the exterior is WA3967 Cotillon White - I have the bright red interior (deep buttoned seats) that the Biarritz came with and I seem to remember that it was called Carmin Red but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Does anyone know the color reference # or name for the interior color so that I can get the correct color of dye and vinyl paint?

Thanks!

Bro-Ham
12-10-12, 08:34 PM
Exterior color is #11 Cotillion White, or WA 3967 as you noted.

Interior is Dark Carmine.

steveclv
12-11-12, 11:48 PM
Awesome, many thanks

Do you know where I can purchase leather dye and vinyl paint to match that color? I will Google it but if anyone has good luck with a supplier I'd be happy to try them.

Thanks

steveclv
12-13-12, 11:37 AM
It looks like I am a little early with my 1984 Eldo to find a wealth of information on the model as it isn't quite yet at 'classic' status just yet - but with the Biarritz convertible only ever having been made for 2 years with only 3300 made, I'm sure it will get there. In the meanwhile it's a case of digging around on eBay and the local breakers to find parts and fixes.

One example is this leather/vinyl color 'Carmine' which appears to have been pretty unique - a more common burgandy was used on several models but the 'in your face' bright red was limited (I believe) to Biarritz models only.

Anyway, I have cut a piece from the interior and Shawn at Leather World Tech (sales@leatherworldtech.com) is going to match it for me and add the formula to their range - so if anyone needs a Leather Refinishing Kit or Vinyl Paint for a Carmine red interior on a Cadillac Eldorado then they will be able to order one shortly.
When mine arrives I will report on the success of the color match and post up some photos of the job.

cadillac kevin
12-13-12, 12:11 PM
Very cool on getting a color match for the vinyl/ leather
I've seen the carmine in a couple biarritz's and an 83 deville (that was pretty well loaded).

carnut
12-14-12, 11:24 AM
I took a piece of interior trim to my local Auto body shop paint supplier and he mixed up a spray can formula to match. Cost about $18 a can if I recall. Having the piece of plastic also allowed for some fading to be accounted for over the years in the mix.

steveclv
12-21-12, 06:23 PM
I might try that Carnut.

I have ordered a 32oz leather recolor kit which was color matched to the sample I sent along with some leather crack filler - of course the holiday shipping means it won't be here until the end of next week but that's ok. According to the company, it will work on all leather and pliable vinyl - it won't work on the hard plastic unless it has been sprayed with a plastic primer first, it also appears that the hard plastic is actually a darker shade of red anyway.

Just finished rebuilding the quarter windows and installed all new rubber seals and weather seals - I also managed to adjust the drivers door so that it closes with a nice solid thunk and all the glass seals perfectly - I have to say that was more luck than judgement ;)

I missed out on one of those EG 'Rolls Royce' style grilles on eBay the other day - went for $175 and I really am not sure if I want to put one on there or keep it 100% original. I like the look but originality is probably best.

I still need to find a passenger side seat belt in red - the sedan and convertible are different unfortunately.

carnut
12-21-12, 07:48 PM
I like the grille from the front but as driven, it sticks above the hood line. a grille shouldn't be higher than the hood IMO.

steveclv
12-27-12, 05:17 PM
The kit arrived by UPS this am, comprising a bottle of cleaner and a scuff pad, a tub of leather filler to fill any cracks, and 32oz of the dye, along with a couple of sponges and a leather creme finisher.

The color match is absolutely spot on and it works great on the leather and the vinyl, and I even hid all the scratches on the hard plastic covers on the sides of the seats and over the seat belt tensioners. If you want a kit for your carmine red biarritz leather interior then call LeatherWorldTech, ask for Shawn and order the 'Congrave' mix - to be honest, 32oz is overkill and 16oz would be fine.

I'll take some pictures later but the improvement is amazing so far and I have only done 1 coat - I will probably let this sponge applied coat dry, use the filler on some of the deeper scratches and then spray a couple of coats with my airbrush for a perfectly even finish.

P.Katson
12-31-12, 03:04 PM
Do you know if the dye LeatherWorldTech supplied is solvent or water based?

steveclv
01-01-13, 03:15 PM
It's water based.

I finished the job yesterday having sprayed 3 coats with my airbrush and I love the finish - it's more matte than the original and looks more modern. I'm going to see how it wears for a while however there is a spray on top coat that can be put on afterwards (it's optional) that is available in matte, semi-gloss and full gloss so that if I wanted to bring it back to the original 'pimp' shiny red :)