: engine hour meter resets

Nrubkcalb
12-10-12, 04:46 PM
The engine hour meter on my 05 Escalade seems to be resetting itself. I don't look at the hours very often so I don't know if it happens on a regular basis. Any body have this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Bill

the cadillac man
12-10-12, 09:08 PM
The engine hour meter on my 05 Escalade seems to be resetting itself. I don't look at the hours very often so I don't know if it happens on a regular basis. Any body have this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Bill

There is a resettable timer it looks like this 00:00:00
The engine hour timer looks different and is not resettable

viperhead
12-11-12, 06:42 AM
I am not sure, but i think mine reset at around 1200 hours

the cadillac man
12-11-12, 11:39 AM
I am not sure, but i think mine reset at around 1200 hours

That sounds like something isn't right as the engine hour timer is a non resettable timer

viperhead
12-11-12, 12:18 PM
Did a google search and it seems there is a GM bulletin on this...

.IPC Engine Hour Meter Resets - keywords cluster DIC display hour meter intermittent start up #PIT4368A - (05/29/2007)[b]2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic2003-2007 GMC Sierra ClassicSome owners may comment of the ipc engine hour meter resetting. This concern may be very intermittent and normally occurs at key up and/or start up.

GM Engineering is aware of this concern and working on a correction. At this time there has been varying success repairing this concern with the following information:

<LI type=1>Check the battery/s with the Midtronic's battery tester and also perform a load test using a Vat40 or similar load tester to make sure the battery/s are in good condition. We have found in some cases a weak battery could cause this concern, this step is very important on vehicles with the 6.6L Diesel Engine where both batteries are used for cranking the engine. <LI type=1>Check the battery cables and make sure all connections are clean and tight. <LI type=1>Check the IPC powers and grounds (G200, G203, G100, G110 and the braided ground strap between the engine and cowl G104 and G107) connections and make sure they are clean and tight. 1.If the IPC has not been replaced, replace the IPC.

This is the source:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fullsizechevy.com%2Fforum%2Fg eneral-discussion%2Ftechnical-maintenance%2F416997-engine-hours-reset.html&ei=K2rHUIXAGcer4AS054HwCQ&usg=AFQjCNHLR4A2ABDUQh00p49LO272KY3cDQ
Other links:https://www.google.com/search?q=engine+hours+reset&aq=f&oq=engine+hours+reset&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.14997&sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-11-12, 02:36 PM
Nrubkcalb, I recommend checking in with your dealership so their technicians can run the proper diagnostic tests on your Escalade. I realize that you may prefer the DIY approach, in which case it's great that the community is already responding with feedback for you. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Nrubkcalb
12-12-12, 03:58 PM
viperhead etal. Thanks for the leads! Upon checking, turns out my battery is the original Delco, from '05. 7 years on a 6 year battery is pretty good so I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. I'll try to let you know if this fixes the stability of the engine hour meter... after some time passes. Until then, never buy a low mileage boat.
Regards,
Bill

Nrubkcalb
12-30-12, 02:38 PM
24 hours without a reset. I think it is going to make it to the New Year. New battery seems to help. Will post again when it fails or breaks 100.
Best Regards.

the cadillac man
12-30-12, 04:30 PM
24 hours without a reset. I think it is going to make it to the New Year. New battery seems to help. Will post again when it fails or breaks 100.
Best Regards.

Good luck I hope it continues working like it should for you.

Nrubkcalb
03-08-13, 11:16 AM
Update... 88.7 hours and the meter has not reset. The new battery seems to have solved the problem. If I remember, I will post if it fails again.
Regards,
Bill

the cadillac man
03-08-13, 12:03 PM
Update... 88.7 hours and the meter has not reset. The new battery seems to have solved the problem. If I remember, I will post if it fails again.
Regards,
Bill

That's great news to hear I hope it never resets