: '99 Deville tire choice

sundog
12-09-12, 01:46 PM
I inherited this car from my Aunt. It sat for more than a year with a bad head gasket (fixed) and leaky right rear tire which was flat much of the time. I re-mounted and balanced all the tires (Michelin Symmetry) myself; they balanced well on the machine but there's still a flat spot or balance problem somewhere among them that shows up on the highway. Tread looks excellent but they'll be ten years old come spring. A new set is in order.
I've never bought tires for a car like this, or with anything but price as the top priority. This car will be used for business, and a quiet, smooth ride is now the essential issue. Michelin is an obvious choice, but I'd like to know that my options are. Any input?

Submariner409
12-09-12, 04:08 PM
Look on the driver's door sticker for the correct tire size and speed rating. Buy a set of all-season Michelins and have them Hunter Road Force balanced.

10 year old tires are dry-rotted deathtraps.

sundog
12-14-12, 07:50 PM
I agree, and I want them gone. As for Michelins - they're my preference, but I live down five miles of Kansas farm road, which means nails, bolts, metal fragments from farm equipment, etc. So I like Wal-Mart's warranty, and the tires they carry in stock here are Douglas, Goodyear Viva 2 and a fuel-efficiency variant, and Bridgestone's Eco-something. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Viva 2: it's @ 60% the cost of a Symmatry (and I also need tires for my truck) and they're quiet and good-riding on our Grand Marquis.
A tire shop here recommended a Cooper CST4, I think it is. Don't know anything about them, but they seem well-liked in another thread in this section.

I just noticed, you're from Kent Island. I grew up in Accokeek, across the Potomac from Mount Vernon, in the '60s. Dad had a plane, and he and I occasionally flew to Kent I for lunch. As I recall, and if I'm not confusing Kent I with another place, the runway ran straight east off the bay, and the restaurant was there on the airfield.

01ssreda4
12-18-12, 06:55 AM
I'm running the Goodyear luxury car tires and have been very pleased with them.

Submariner409
12-18-12, 08:45 AM
I just noticed, you're from Kent Island. I grew up in Accokeek, across the Potomac from Mount Vernon, in the '60s. Dad had a plane, and he and I occasionally flew to Kent I for lunch. As I recall, and if I'm not confusing Kent I with another place, the runway ran straight east off the bay, and the restaurant was there on the airfield.

Kentmorr Airpark. It's doing well - A grass runway, E-W, lined on the south side with homes with attached hangars. Kentmorr Restaurant is still a block walk away. (Google it - videos of the approach) In the 60's I flew my J-3 and Colt in and out of there during leave periods when I would keep a plane at College Park Airport - fly down from new London, CT. Mom & Dad lived in MD - Chevy Chase, right at the MD/DC line.

sundog
12-22-12, 12:28 PM
Boy, did I get off-subject!
Dad kept his plane at Hyde Field until he sold it in the mid-'70s. He kept the hanger for another 10 years so his EAA pals could have a place to build.
Have you been to College Park lately? They have a nice museum there now, right on the airfield, saw it when I was back there visiting in October. In the mid-60s, Dad and I were briefly involved in an organization formed to preserve the airfield.

Submariner409
12-29-12, 01:32 PM
Remember Mr. Brinckerhoff at College Park (owner/operator). Acquaintance of mine (Sam Schoenfeld ... Scofield ???) put his Globe Swift nose-first into the RR right-of-way embankment on the west end of the 29-11 runway - hot August day, full load, lifted off too early. That happened in the mid-60's.