: Escalade blowing cold air in Decenber lol. Please help.

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 02:16 PM
Hi all.

Winter is here (for some of us anyways lol) and my 04 Escalade is blowing cool/cold air when it should be hot!
The engine is warming up as usual and not taking longer than usual (therefore I'm not thinking thermostat) (temp needle is just below 100 degrees). When the temp is set to the warmest (32 C or 90 F) it blows cool/cold air. The air gets even colder when i set the temperature to 15 C or 60 F. The temperature of the air gets a bit warmer when i press the gas pedal but gets cold again when the rpms come back down. The rear heat controls work great at any engine rpm. The rear heat and my heated seats are saving me right now lol. There is no film on the windshield or antifreeze smell in the vehicle therefore i'm ruleing out the heater core. Any ideas please lol?

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 03:21 PM
Hi all.

Winter is here (for some of us anyways lol) and my 04 Escalade is blowing cool/cold air when it should be hot!
The engine is warming up as usual and not taking longer than usual (therefore I'm not thinking thermostat) (temp needle is just below 100 degrees). When the temp is set to the warmest (32 C or 90 F) it blows cool/cold air. The air gets even colder when i set the temperature to 15 C or 60 F. The temperature of the air gets a bit warmer when i press the gas pedal but gets cold again when the rpms come back down. The rear heat controls work great at any engine rpm. The rear heat and my heated seats are saving me right now lol. There is no film on the windshield or antifreeze smell in the vehicle therefore i'm ruleing out the heater core. Any ideas please lol?

I know this may sound like a crazy thing to ask but is it blowing cold air on both driver and passenger sides or just one side

If its the later then a actuator will need replacing and depending on which it it can either be cake walk or a pain in the butt to replace(I know how to do the drivers side one and it cake walk to do)

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 05:44 PM
I know this may sound like a crazy thing to ask but is it blowing cold air on both driver and passenger sides or just one side

If its the later then a actuator will need replacing and depending on which it it can either be cake walk or a pain in the butt to replace(I know how to do the drivers side one and it cake walk to do)

It's cold on both sides.

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 06:18 PM
It's cold on both sides.

Is the rear air blowing hot when the front is blowing cold air?

It sounds like a module but I ain't sure yet

cashmereDTS
12-09-12, 07:56 PM
Is the rear air blowing hot when the front is blowing cold air?

It sounds like a module but I ain't sure yet

Yes. The rear is blowing hot when the front is blowing cold.

the cadillac man
12-09-12, 08:22 PM
Yes. The rear is blowing hot when the front is blowing cold.

Do this turn the blower in the front off and have nothing else on and work the temp controls

If you don't hear any noise when you work the controls then there is a code in the system

May I suggest having the hvac system probed with the tech-2 at the dealer to see if there is a code

6lbsofSound
12-09-12, 08:58 PM
Since you are getting heat overhead in the back it sounds like the front actuator/blend door is the problem. The actuator is not fully shut allowing only the cold air to circulate. Check the actuator to see if its stuck open.

cashmereDTS
12-10-12, 02:14 AM
Do this turn the blower in the front off and have nothing else on and work the temp controls

If you don't hear any noise when you work the controls then there is a code in the system

May I suggest having the hvac system probed with the tech-2 at the dealer to see if there is a code

I'm going to give it a shot in the morning and report what happens.

----------

Since you are getting heat overhead in the back it sounds like the front actuator/blend door is the problem. The actuator is not fully shut allowing only the cold air to circulate. Check the actuator to see if its stuck open.

Where is the actuator/blend door located?

the cadillac man
12-10-12, 02:43 AM
I'm going to give it a shot in the morning and report what happens.

----------

Where is the actuator/blend door located?

The drivers side is on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side the other is in the dash but I just want you to turn the blowers off(both front and rear) and work the temp and mode controls one at a time to see if you can hear the motors in the actuators(because if there is no noise from either then there may be a code in the system)

I had to replace the temp actuator on the rear air and the module due to a over travel code

The bad part was it did it about this time of year last year I didn't find out till a few days later my mom told me that there was no heat NOT FUN when you have women riding in the truck (they love to complain over stuff like this)

cashmereDTS
12-10-12, 03:44 AM
The drivers side is on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side the other is in the dash but I just want you to turn the blowers off(both front and rear) and work the temp and mode controls one at a time to see if you can hear the motors in the actuators(because if there is no noise from either then there may be a code in the system)

I had to replace the temp actuator on the rear air and the module due to a over travel code

The bad part was it did it about this time of year last year I didn't find out till a few days later my mom told me that there was no heat NOT FUN when you have women riding in the truck (they love to complain over stuff like this)

It's funny you say that because I just read your post from last year regarding this issue lol.

I think I understand where you're going with this. My problem could potentially go beyond the blend doors. This makes sense because what are the chances of both front blend door acuators (drivers and passengers) going for a s**t at the same time? When other people on here had problems with the front temperature controls, it was either driver or passenger. My problem is both driver and passenger and it happened at the same time lol. WTF?

And ya, I understand what it's like to have females in a vehicle that is either too hot or too cold lol. My girlfriend isn't very impressed at the moment, more so because we have a trip lined up at the end of the month and a cold escalade won't cut it lol.

the cadillac man
12-10-12, 11:06 AM
It's funny you say that because I just read your post from last year regarding this issue lol.

I think I understand where you're going with this. My problem could potentially go beyond the blend doors. This makes sense because what are the chances of both front blend door acuators (drivers and passengers) going for a s**t at the same time? When other people on here had problems with the front temperature controls, it was either driver or passenger. My problem is both driver and passenger and it happened at the same time lol. WTF?

And ya, I understand what it's like to have females in a vehicle that is either too hot or too cold lol. My girlfriend isn't very impressed at the moment, more so because we have a trip lined up at the end of the month and a cold escalade won't cut it lol.

I had the drivers side temp door go crazy on me in the summer and I got hot air( it felt as if it off the engine(HOT HOT HOT)
That is why I suggested work the temp and mode door controls with the blowers off

susp veh
12-11-12, 04:26 AM
Sorry I dont mean to thread jack the OP but It's related to heater problems. What if my rear heater is not working? Everything else works fine.

cashmereDTS
12-11-12, 09:08 AM
I had the drivers side temp door go crazy on me in the summer and I got hot air( it felt as if it off the engine(HOT HOT HOT)
That is why I suggested work the temp and mode door controls with the blowers off

I just came in from outside. I started the escalade and then went to shovel my driveway because it just snowed here. It was running for a good 15 if not more and got up to running temperature, then I did exactly what you said to do.

With the blower off I went through all the controls. I can hear motors moving when I adjust the temperature controls (driver and passenger). I can hear motors when i go through the three directions for air flow (defrost, top vents and feet). Then I put the blower fan up all the way up and the temperature to 32 C (90 F). Initially it was warm but then got colder and colder. Then I tried my rear climate controls and it felt just as cold/lukewarm as compared to the front. So now both front and rear heat is cool/lukewarm (WTF)? I then pressed on the accelerator so the engine was at about 3500 RMP and held it there. Both front and rear vents got much warmer, but when I took my foot off the accelerator, both front and rear air got cold/lukewarm again.

Over all, the air coming out of the vents seems to be warmer as compared to Friday night when I first reported the issue, but it is also warmer outside today compared to Friday night as well. It's only -8 C (17.6 F) at the moment but it was -16 C (3.2 F) Friday night.

The escalade is going to the stealership in about an hour :ill:. This is a really busy time of year and I don't have access to a garage of have the time to figure this out. If I don't have consistent heat by the 28th, the drive to The Twin Cities to watch the Vikings and Packers mind as well be a frozen trunda lol. Thanks to all who chimed in. I'll report back when they let me know what's wrong.

the cadillac man
12-11-12, 12:41 PM
I just came in from outside. I started the escalade and then went to shovel my driveway because it just snowed here. It was running for a good 15 if not more and got up to running temperature, then I did exactly what you said to do.

With the blower off I went through all the controls. I can hear motors moving when I adjust the temperature controls (driver and passenger). I can hear motors when i go through the three directions for air flow (defrost, top vents and feet). Then I put the blower fan up all the way up and the temperature to 32 C (90 F). Initially it was warm but then got colder and colder. Then I tried my rear climate controls and it felt just as cold/lukewarm as compared to the front. So now both front and rear heat is cool/lukewarm (WTF)? I then pressed on the accelerator so the engine was at about 3500 RMP and held it there. Both front and rear vents got much warmer, but when I took my foot off the accelerator, both front and rear air got cold/lukewarm again.

Over all, the air coming out of the vents seems to be warmer as compared to Friday night when I first reported the issue, but it is also warmer outside today compared to Friday night as well. It's only -8 C (17.6 F) at the moment but it was -16 C (3.2 F) Friday night.

The escalade is going to the stealership in about an hour :ill:. This is a really busy time of year and I don't have access to a garage of have the time to figure this out. If I don't have consistent heat by the 28th, the drive to The Twin Cities to watch the Vikings and Packers mind as well be a frozen trunda lol. Thanks to all who chimed in. I'll report back when they let me know what's wrong.

Check your antifreeze level it is low hence it not being how on both front and rear systems

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-11-12, 01:00 PM
CashmereDTS, I'm pleased to see you're receiving helpful feedback from the community! If you have any lingering concerns you would like to discuss with the Cadillac Customer Service team nearest you, GM of Canada is available at 800-263-3777, M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. If you prefer online contact, information can be found at http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cashmereDTS
12-11-12, 10:59 PM
Well, here's the story.

After ruling out thermostat, and comfirming that the rear heat output was 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the front, they scanned the HVAC system which showed three codes: B0418 and C0229 were in history and B0414 is set current for the driver's temp, door. The driver's temp. door was actually disabled. After checking 2 service bulletins and trying to recalibrate the HVAC system and perform an actuator relearn which didn't get rid of the code, it was determioned that a new driver's side temp. door actuator was needed.

I now have heat in the front but i'm not convinced it's as warm as it was before this all happened.

Also, i've now noticed that the snowflake button (air conditioning) does not light up any more and when I press it and the snowflake flashes a few times on the display but does not stay on. In all honesty i'm not sure if the snowflake button was acting up before I brought it in, but I'm wondering if there is another electrical issue going on with my front temp control unit? I don't need the air conditioning at the moment lol, but I'm going to need it in the summer.

the cadillac man
12-12-12, 12:23 AM
Well, here's the story.

After ruling out thermostat, and comfirming that the rear heat output was 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the front, they scanned the HVAC system which showed three codes: B0418 and C0229 were in history and B0414 is set current for the driver's temp, door. The driver's temp. door was actually disabled. After checking 2 service bulletins and trying to recalibrate the HVAC system and perform an actuator relearn which didn't get rid of the code, it was determioned that a new driver's side temp. door actuator was needed.

I now have heat in the front but i'm not convinced it's as warm as it was before this all happened.

Also, i've now noticed that the snowflake button (air conditioning) does not light up any more and when I press it and the snowflake flashes a few times on the display but does not stay on. In all honesty i'm not sure if the snowflake button was acting up before I brought it in, but I'm wondering if there is another electrical issue going on with my front temp control unit? I don't need the air conditioning at the moment lol, but I'm going to need it in the summer.

Sounds like the module is going nuts as the snowflake icon means the ac is disabled regardless of temp setting
The compressor is cycled when the defrost is on
Also check your antifreeze level if its low that can cause the heat to preform bad.

cashmereDTS
12-12-12, 04:44 PM
Sounds like the module is going nuts as the snowflake icon means the ac is disabled regardless of temp setting
The compressor is cycled when the defrost is on
Also check your antifreeze level if its low that can cause the heat to preform bad.

The antifreez level seems to be ok. It's at the "full cold" mark on the plenm when the engine is cool. I'll check it again once it has been sitting longer. As for this module you're speaking of, do you know where it's located on the vehicle? Is it a DIY? How much does it cost?

the cadillac man
12-12-12, 10:06 PM
The antifreez level seems to be ok. It's at the "full cold" mark on the plenm when the engine is cool. I'll check it again once it has been sitting longer. As for this module you're speaking of, do you know where it's located on the vehicle? Is it a DIY? How much does it cost?

Not sure where its at but the service manager told me it's the controls to work the system

Brimy623
12-22-12, 11:09 AM
Like Cadillac man, I have the problem of it blowing hot air on the drivers side!
I had the same problem last year and a coworker's mechanic said it was a fuse!
It worked fine for about 6 months, now doing the hot air all the time again. Luckily, it's getting cold in NYC, but does anyone know where the fuse that would control the actuator is??

the cadillac man
12-22-12, 01:58 PM
Like Cadillac man, I have the problem of it blowing hot air on the drivers side!
I had the same problem last year and a coworker's mechanic said it was a fuse!
It worked fine for about 6 months, now doing the hot air all the time again. Luckily, it's getting cold in NYC, but does anyone know where the fuse that would control the actuator is??

The hvac fuse is in the under hood fuse box(remove it for about two mins then after you put it back in turn the key to run for 2 mins(engine off) then off for 2mins then start the truck(FYI I had to take mine apart in order to get the actuator working right the contacts inside get dirty and will need cleaning(trust me it works and is cheaper then replacing the actuator which is a major pain in the back to get to)

If you have any more issues with it let me know