: Blizzak DMV-1 tires in 22 inch review ( winter )

paidge7
12-09-12, 11:53 AM
Hi guys,

I live in Montreal, Canada.

I can have an amazing deal and when i mean amazing deal it is. Its for a wheel and tires package of OEM 22's with the winter tires blizzak dmv-1 in 285/45/22

I would like to know how do you guys like them and how is the traction of those 22's on the snow ?

I mean i am not a scary guy i usually drove all season tires but i only drove with winter tires since the new law in quebec that obligated us to put winter tires.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Max

murphy
12-09-12, 02:19 PM
Last year I ran this tire in an 265/60/R18 config...as I added my BAER big brake kit this summer I'm now running this tire in 275/55 R20 as I needed the larger wheel to clear the front brakes. I thought about the 22" size but didn't want to subject my platinum wheels to our harsh winter conditions so I purchased a set of the same style platinum wheel in a knock off 20" size.
This is a very good winter tire but you loose certain benefits of the smaller wheel by going so large. The ride comfort decreases greatly as you loose sidewall height as well as turning performance appears to decrease also since the sidewall is so stiff. Not to mention the cost of the 22's versus say an 18" or 17".
These tires will have a big advantage in snow over the stock Alenza's but a huge gain on ice due to the softer rubber and fine sipes..here in Alberta a must have..best price was Costco.ca
Cheers

36dbldz
12-09-12, 03:07 PM
Last year I ran this tire in an 265/60/R18 config...as I added my BAER big brake kit this summer I'm now running this tire in 275/55 R20 as I needed the larger wheel to clear the front brakes. I thought about the 22" size but didn't want to subject my platinum wheels to our harsh winter conditions so I purchased a set of the same style platinum wheel in a knock off 20" size.
This is a very good winter tire but you loose certain benefits of the smaller wheel by going so large. The ride comfort decreases greatly as you loose sidewall height as well as turning performance appears to decrease also since the sidewall is so stiff. Not to mention the cost of the 22's versus say an 18" or 17".
These tires will have a big advantage in snow over the stock Alenza's but a huge gain on ice due to the softer rubber and fine sipes..here in Alberta a must have..best price was Costco.ca
Cheers

Kind of off topic but can you take a pic of your Baer brakes. Sorry guys

murphy
12-09-12, 03:11 PM
here ya go
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v34/p233871630-6.jpg
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v48/p4924622-6.jpg
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p885340691-6.jpg

36dbldz
12-09-12, 03:21 PM
here ya go

Damn! Those look super nice! What made you pick those over wilwood?

murphy
12-09-12, 03:25 PM
dunno...these were available from local Caddie dealer..installed..warranty.They did whole kit...blower, lowering kit, sway bars, brakes

36dbldz
12-09-12, 03:30 PM
dunno...these were available from local Caddie dealer..installed..warranty.They did whole kit...blower, lowering kit, sway bars, brakes

Looks great!

BlownEscalade
12-09-12, 05:32 PM
Which caddie dealer did it for you? As far as I thought only dealers willing to at were Southgate and Ron Hogsons. When I blew my tranny on my old supercharged Silverado SS they were the only ones willing to fix it under warranty.

murphy
12-09-12, 06:09 PM
Nope...my buddy is SM at DW..did a great job too !!

BlownEscalade
12-09-12, 06:48 PM
Oh ok. Yeah I was wondering what Caddy dealer it was. I know most gm dealers don't recommend modifying vehicles. Had problems with most but the two. I know both dealers like to play. I think Southgate is the best dealer here when it comes to modifying. Had a few friends and myself get their vehicles done there and very satisfied. When I was younger (back in 2001) I had many problems with DW and had to get GM involved. Horrible experience. They screwed up on my paint and told me they were gone bring it to their body shop to get it fixed, they lied and brought it over to Maaco (how ever it's spelled). Went there over 4 times getting the whole sides repainted and everytime I got it back it was horrible. The rubbers around the windows were sanded and scratched, so was my hood and trunk... And this was a brand new vehicle with under 1,000km. In the end when gm got involved, they did a straight across exchange. They called me a whiner because I kept complaining about all the scratches.

murphy
12-09-12, 07:18 PM
I think it's paramount to build a relationship with the SM..if you can great..if you can't move on..

BlownEscalade
12-09-12, 09:23 PM
Yeah I was dealing with the new sales manager when I had the problems.

murphy
12-09-12, 09:32 PM
I know a fella that had hodgson's work on his vette...was not a good experience for him..I think they all can have issues..it's who/how you deal with them/it..

hcvone
12-10-12, 07:35 AM
The Blizzak's are fine if you have snow, I went thru a set in 9k miles and another set in 11k miles because of very limited snow, they also handle poorly on roads without snow as far as handling. Because I have had many Escalade's (only 1 now) I found for me and where I live and drive the I use Goodyear Dura Trac for deep snow and Firestone Destination A/T for my normal winter tires in 18", I use stock chrome 18" wheels for my winter wheels, they are cheap if you damage one, and with 18" you have a lot of sidewall compared to 20" & 22" wheels. I can change from winter to summer wheels in 15-20 minutes in my garage at home, much less if I get my employee to do it. ;)

murphy
12-10-12, 10:19 PM
In our country with our weather we always dress for the worst conditions regardless of what the forecast is...I use the same mentality with my tires..it's too late when you're stuck in a major snow dump being under equipped tire wise. So I opt to run the Blizzaks for the worst case scenario and get by quite well in not so poor conditions.

chakde
12-10-12, 10:51 PM
I run blizzaks on 18 inch as well for one and toyo for my other. I think i like the Blizzaks more than my Toyos.

BlownEscalade
12-11-12, 12:10 AM
I've ran Blizzak dmv1 on my Range Rover and loved them. Tries few others and none seemed to compare

sdgc
12-12-12, 08:50 PM
I have the 22 s on stock rims and bought new summer rims. Love the blizzaks. Next to nokians, they are the next best option.

cutterman
12-13-12, 07:38 AM
Just mounted my Blizzaks for the season. Little whine on the highway but softer ride on the crappy city streets than the 22's. Minimal wear from last season. Outstanding performance in deep snow/slush/etc.