: To plasti dip or not to plasti dip? That is the question!

truckinman
12-09-12, 09:06 AM
Just seeing what your opinions are for my car specifically. Should I take the dive and do it? The grill and any chrome on the trunk lid and window stripping, as well as possibly the wheels? Or do everything and leave wheels as they are? Or leave the whole car as it is? I'm torn so looking for others opinions!

http://i.pgu.me/ZXLGv2Y-_original.jpg
http://i.pgu.me/ljkd8LIg_original.jpg

CadillacLuke24
12-09-12, 09:18 AM
Well, seeing as how it can be undone with a wash mitt, I say go for it! Do whatever parts you want to, and mix and match based on what you do and don't like.

Whatever you do, post your results :D

Stingroo
12-09-12, 10:01 AM
^ This.

Do it. It's easy.

And Luke, if you're putting on enough coats, you're not undoing it with a wash mitt. Only by peeling it. Which is good. It stands up to car washes and everything quite well.

truckinman
12-09-12, 10:19 AM
i may go ahead and do it. yea i want the stealthy look. i love black grills on black cars. gives it a great look IMO

Stingroo
12-09-12, 10:55 AM
Recommend.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/31582_10200221739132798_977564627_n.jpg

I might be biased, though. :lol:

truckinman
12-09-12, 11:17 AM
lol...I like it sting! looks good! I figure if i do the wheels, im going to try and gloss them up a bit. Can't you do that with a can of clear coat or something like that?

iwannaracecar
12-09-12, 11:29 AM
Go for it. As soon as I get warm enough weather I'm doing all that I can.

I was curious about glossying them up too though

Stingroo
12-09-12, 11:44 AM
lol...I like it sting! looks good! I figure if i do the wheels, im going to try and gloss them up a bit. Can't you do that with a can of clear coat or something like that?

Plastidip makes a glossifier. You can do it with regular clear coat as well, but it's apparently difficult to remove once it hardens.

vincentm
12-09-12, 12:42 PM
Why rice out a Cadillac? But that's just my $0.02

hey8you
12-09-12, 02:53 PM
Do it. If you don't like it just peel if off.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3481/1889/33700944027_large.jpg

I don't have updated pics right now, but I also did my grill, headlights, all chrome(except logo), and tail lights.

talismandave
12-09-12, 03:47 PM
Having suffered through the 80's when the car companies removed chrome from cars to save money and because it was one less piece for their line workers to misalign, I am glad to see cars companies taking the time, expense, and pride to put more brightwork on their cars.
On a classic black Cadillac like that I would be adding chrome not covering it up. On your car I would do the argent silver part of the grill in black and leave the wreath and crest, and chrome outer trim alone.

truckinman
12-09-12, 05:47 PM
Having suffered through the 80's when the car companies removed chrome from cars to save money and because it was one less piece for their line workers to misalign, I am glad to see cars companies taking the time, expense, and pride to put more brightwork on their cars.
On a classic black Cadillac like that I would be adding chrome not covering it up. On your car I would do the argent silver part of the grill in black and leave the wreath and crest, and chrome outer trim alone.

i like that idea. To leave the chrome accents like that on the grill. i kind of thought about doing something like that to the wheels as well. leaving kind of a chrome stip around the outer edge to give it kind of a accented rim like you see with some aftermarket black rims. still in the thinking stages. i probably wont do anything until it gets warmer out or i can use a garage at a friends house maybe. So ive got some time to think about it.

----------

Why rice out a Cadillac? But that's just my $0.02

well thats what I'm afraid of the most is "ricing it out". I hate ricers. lol But i figure if i can do it to look professional enough, maybe it wouldnt look riced out. that is why i want to add a gloss to the wheels after the dip, that way it looks more like a wheel i bought out of a catolog or something. and not just something that was spray painted.

thebigjimsho
12-09-12, 07:00 PM
Sure, its rice because its cheap. So go spend hundreds or thousands to custom paint. And watch it chip.

Is it rice to paint a car or trim? Just because it is a rubber coating and not paint means what?

Stingroo
12-09-12, 08:15 PM
Shhh... Jim, we can't logic. That's forbidden!

Mullah88
12-09-12, 11:38 PM
Do it...but doing the window trims will be a pita! The top part of the trim is not deep enough to cut the plastidip, so when peeling it off it tends to peel everything. I suggested getting them wrapped. I did my badges, the bottom part of the 06 rear bumper, and the chrome housing where the license plate lights are located.

drewsdeville
12-10-12, 12:10 AM
Is it rice to paint a car or trim? Just because it is a rubber coating and not paint means what?

It's not about paint vs coating. It's a tasteless "mod", which is a popular characteristic of ricers. Of course, since taste is subjective, not everyone will see it that way - but I don't see why one would expect the lack of brightwork to gain a lot of support on a luxury car board - a genre of car that's usually most generous in that respect. It doesn't matter if it's actual paint or Plastidip - one probably won't recieve many thumbs up for for eliminating bright trim here.

As far as Plastidip itself, it's widespread popularity on high schoolers F-bodies, Integras, and peter'd out Silverados is pushing it over into the same column as the rear wing, "cold air" intake, colorless and/or tinted turn and tail lamp lenses, and blue headlights. It's cheap and, since always used poorly, ugly.

That said, OP, if you DO go that route, I vote for the gloss finish. If you pay atttention at shows, matte and satin finishes are generally used by guys who repaint their car without doing proper bodywork before hand. It hides imperfections and poor craftsmanship that would stick out like a sore thumb under a gloss finish that does a great job of displaying the perfection and clean lines of your particualr car. Thus, when it comes to cars, non-gloss finishes portray a cheap "that's good enough" image, to me at least.

thebigjimsho
12-10-12, 09:00 AM
Always used poorly? Whatevs.

truckinman
12-10-12, 10:35 AM
I've seen a lotta V's that have tons of money onto them that have this done and it looks great IMHO.