: Tow/ Haul Mode

guereja6
12-08-12, 09:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how the tow/haul button works on the gear shift. I know a light is supposed to light up on the control panel. But, does the trailer or whatever you're hauling have to be hooked up for the light to come on, or should it come on regardless? Just asking because the light does not come on when I push the button, but I am just checking everything as I will be hauling a 5x12 trailer for 1,000 miles to Mexico. If anyone can help, I truely appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

the cadillac man
12-08-12, 10:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how the tow/haul button works on the gear shift. I know a light is supposed to light up on the control panel. But, does the trailer or whatever you're hauling have to be hooked up for the light to come on, or should it come on regardless? Just asking because the light does not come on when I push the button, but I am just checking everything as I will be hauling a 5x12 trailer for 1,000 miles to Mexico. If anyone can help, I truely appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

The tow/haul modes works regardless of a trailer on the hitch or not as it changes the shift pattern of the transmission to allow more power from the engine and eliminate "hunting" for a gear

If the light doesn't come on when the button is pressed then something is wrong(aka a code has been set)in the system if a fuse isn't blown(not sure if it is fused separately or not for sure)

You press the button and when the orange trailer lights up on the cluster then the transmission is in tow/haul mode

guereja6
12-08-12, 10:44 PM
Thank you so much. At least I know now something is wrong. How should I go about checking it? First maybe see if there is a fuse? Sorry so many questions, but my husband is on a business trip, and I'm supposed to have everything ready just to pack up and go! But thank you so much!

the cadillac man
12-08-12, 11:55 PM
Thank you so much. At least I know now something is wrong. How should I go about checking it? First maybe see if there is a fuse? Sorry so many questions, but my husband is on a business trip, and I'm supposed to have everything ready just to pack up and go! But thank you so much!

Is there anything else not working?
The reason I ask is to see if it is a fuse that might possibly work that and the tow/haul mode button
Check everything to make sure it works(even the dimming mirrors) as it will help me in pinpointing the fuse(as that is what it sounds like)there is a fuse box under the hood,one in the side of the dash on the drivers side check each one to be sure that there isn't one blown

guereja6
12-09-12, 01:09 AM
Yes everything else works. All other display indicators work. I was looking through several of these posts and come up with a possible solution. One says that it could be the indicator wire has come lose in the gear shifter where the actual button is located. Do you think that might be the problem? Do you know if anyone else has had this problem, and it was actually the wiring was lose in the gear shifter? I even watched a video on youtube of the man fixing this problem in his truck and it seemed pretty easy, but I can't even find the correct name for the shifter or part number. Give me your honest opinion please.

T-Bones
02-01-13, 10:17 AM
Try pulling the gear shift towards you like you were going to shift gears and press the button at the same time. If the gear shift is in the normal position mine won't turn on either. Pull it back and it's all good.

the cadillac man
02-01-13, 12:14 PM
Yes everything else works. All other display indicators work. I was looking through several of these posts and come up with a possible solution. One says that it could be the indicator wire has come lose in the gear shifter where the actual button is located. Do you think that might be the problem? Do you know if anyone else has had this problem, and it was actually the wiring was lose in the gear shifter? I even watched a video on youtube of the man fixing this problem in his truck and it seemed pretty easy, but I can't even find the correct name for the shifter or part number. Give me your honest opinion please.

I suggest contacting a local gm dealer to get the part number but I have to ask is the transmission delaying the shift pattern when the tow/haul button is pressed?

If not then the switch may in fact be worn out