: Heated Seat Issue Round 2

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 12:24 PM
I know there's tons of threads on this. But it seems every case is a different issue. This is a nagging problem. Last year when it was winter time, i had an issue where both of my heated/cooled seats were not working at all. The problem was the plastic female harness that plugs into the control module was burned on the ground wire terminal. Ordered a new plastic harness, a couple metal terminals, re did the wiring, it has worked since. The only time it hasnt worked, is when the entire passenger seat died, from the harness behind the passenger seat with the white plastic clip that holds that entire harness in place. I had to move the wire around and havent had a problem since. Everythings been working fine. Here we are again in Dec cold weather and once again we have this..

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/k15op.jpg

Same terminal the ground terminal burned up again.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/3qcfe.jpg

The control module looks like it did last year

Now the guy at parts counter, i ordered another female harness, and will get more terminals and re do this again. He said if this keeps burning up its something in the wiring. They have the entire wire harness for under the passenger seat you can buy. Im going to try to rewire again by just doing a terminal or two and new plastic harness plug. If this happens again i guess my next step would be to buy a whole entire wire harness and maybe a new control module too, which he said needs to be programmed to the truck? Im just wondering what the real issue is with these, as alot of people have had this same exact thing happen. Everyones entire wiring is harness is bad? And they havent come up with a better problem eliminating wire harness? Thoughts? Ill bet if these were catching on fire and people were getting injured or killed there would be a recall then.

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 06:53 PM
Do we have any techs posting here? I know Bill (ewill3rd) hasnt been active here in a few months

wwceaton
12-09-12, 10:27 AM
I have 30 years of being an independant auto mechanic and every time i see a burnt wire at a terminal like yours it is from high resistance and that is caused from not a good conection at the terminal in question. As i said it is allways the reason. Hope i helped and good luck.

K9Caddy
12-09-12, 11:21 AM
Yep. Or, a flawed connector not being able to handle the current.

Ghost Deany
12-09-12, 01:51 PM
They dont give you alot of slack on the harness when its connected and the seat is adjusted all the way down in the low position, it is a tight bend on the wires that connect to that burnt harness

Damndirtyape
12-10-12, 04:14 PM
I had the same symptom where the entire passenger seat was without power and neither seats cooling or heating worked. Mine was just loose as when I went through to check for burnt connections I could not find any and after reassembling everything it all worked fine.

Rag64top
12-11-12, 04:27 PM
I had the same issue, but it was nowhere near as bad as yours looks.
My female pin was melted into the connector, but I was able to pry it out away from the plastic, and squeeze it together to make a more
solid connection at the plug. So far, my seats are working fine.
Here is my take on this problem. By replacing the harness, or even just the connector and pins, you are really
just putting it back to factory condition, and we all know how soon that fails. I think the connectors they used are substandard,
and not up to the current draw that the seats require. By putting it back to factory, you are asking for the same problem
to come back. By squeezing the female pins together by about 50%, it seems to make a better connection.
There might be another type of pin that could be used with that connector, something that doesn't have so much
slop in the female pin, but I have not been able to find one yet.
So, in the meantime, I decided just to bend the pins, and try to get a better connection, it seems to work fine so far,
and was a 5 minute fix in my case.
Yours does look much worse, and will need a new connector and pins, but this time around, try my squeezing
technique, I think you will be all set if you do this.

Ghost Deany
12-11-12, 07:18 PM
I had the same issue, but it was nowhere near as bad as yours looks.
My female pin was melted into the connector, but I was able to pry it out away from the plastic, and squeeze it together to make a more
solid connection at the plug. So far, my seats are working fine.
Here is my take on this problem. By replacing the harness, or even just the connector and pins, you are really
just putting it back to factory condition, and we all know how soon that fails. I think the connectors they used are substandard,
and not up to the current draw that the seats require. By putting it back to factory, you are asking for the same problem
to come back. By squeezing the female pins together by about 50%, it seems to make a better connection.
There might be another type of pin that could be used with that connector, something that doesn't have so much
slop in the female pin, but I have not been able to find one yet.
So, in the meantime, I decided just to bend the pins, and try to get a better connection, it seems to work fine so far,
and was a 5 minute fix in my case.
Yours does look much worse, and will need a new connector and pins, but this time around, try my squeezing
technique, I think you will be all set if you do this.

Your saying squeeze the metal terminals(these - http://www.mouser.com/images/delphiconnectionsystems/images/15304710.jpg) tighter, that are inside the female harness thats burned in my pic, which plugs into the CCSM?

Rag64top
12-12-12, 11:59 AM
Your saying squeeze the metal terminals(these - http://www.mouser.com/images/delphiconnectionsystems/images/15304710.jpg) tighter, that are inside the female harness thats burned in my pic, which plugs into the CCSM?

YES, that is exactly what I am saying. you can insert a very small screwdriver (or an ice pic) in there, and push the top side (the part of the pin that looks folded over) towards the bottom side, thus making a tighter connection with the male pin. I squeezed them down by about 50%, making sure to leave enough room for the male pin to be easily inserted. I also cleaned up the male pin with some very fine emery cloth.
In my opinion, these pins are way too sloppy to make a good enough connection for the current draw that the seats use.
Like someone said in an earlier post, the poor connection causes a high resistance resulting in the overheating of the connection.
I know it worked for me, and you are not the first one that has had a failed connection even after replacing the pins and connector.
My seats are quite toasty now, so much so, that I have to turn them down on low. Your connector looks like it cannot be saved though,
so you will have to rewire it once again....good luck

Ghost Deany
12-13-12, 02:56 AM
YES, that is exactly what I am saying. you can insert a very small screwdriver (or an ice pic) in there, and push the top side (the part of the pin that looks folded over) towards the bottom side, thus making a tighter connection with the male pin. I squeezed them down by about 50%, making sure to leave enough room for the male pin to be easily inserted. I also cleaned up the male pin with some very fine emery cloth.
In my opinion, these pins are way too sloppy to make a good enough connection for the current draw that the seats use.
Like someone said in an earlier post, the poor connection causes a high resistance resulting in the overheating of the connection.
I know it worked for me, and you are not the first one that has had a failed connection even after replacing the pins and connector.
My seats are quite toasty now, so much so, that I have to turn them down on low. Your connector looks like it cannot be saved though,
so you will have to rewire it once again....good luck

Going to re wire again, do what you said as far as making the female terminals tighter, and also replace the heated/cooled blower motor under the passenger seat as that was giving me an issue over the summer, a experienced tech told me that that unit could be drawing too much current and melting it also, because every time it has melted the connecter, it was from the passenger seat heater/cooler being on. My truck has been pretty good to me, this is the only little nagging issue that has popped up in 2 years of ownership (knock on wood)

Alberta
10-21-13, 12:53 AM
Any easy tips for de-pinning the connector? I ordered a new connector, and notice that the light inside part on the new one is over to one side. Does the light part inside the old burned connector need to be slid to the side to unpin the wires? And what did you use to unpin the terminal from the ruined connector?

Ghost Deany
10-21-13, 05:58 PM
It needs to be slid over, mine was so burned i couldnt slide the burnt 1 it had to be ripped to pieces with pliers. I used a small flathead screwdriver to get the terminals out, then tried to make them tighter so it contacted better on the CCM