: 1920 Cadillac

Garlasco
12-07-12, 10:33 PM
Hi,

My grandfather raced for Cadillac in the 1920s. I still have some of his stuff and I am trying to figure out what he drove when he won in Havana in 1920. Here is what the brochure says:

Characteristics of the winning Cadillac
For those who want to know the characteristics of the Cadillac that won at the Oriental Park on April 3rd, a detailed description of its parts follows.
Engine eight converging cylinders (type V), high speed and high performance; constructed forming a single whole with the gearshift and suspended in three points of the frame. The cylinders are fused in two blocks of four each, with water jackets and integral combustion chambers. Cylinder heads of quitapon. Diameter of 3-1/8 (80 mm) and stroke of 5-1/8 (130 mm); engine, 314 cubic inches (5145.5 cubic cm).
Cooling system by circulating water under pressure. Two centrifugal water pumps, one each block of cylinders, guarantee an adequate distribution of water. Pipes and plates radiator. Ventilator moved by the camshaft through a silent chain. The water temperature is regulated by siphon thermostats.
Ignition Cadillac-Delco improved system. The electric power is supplied by a dynamo, in combination with accumulator batteries.
Lubrication Automatic pressure system with integrated pump. The oil is pumped to the crankshaft bearings and the connecting rod.
Carburetor specifically built for the Cadillac engine. It guarantees the distribution of gas and the optimal engine performance.
Clutch multiple dry disks.
Gear shift - selective type with movable train pinions, three forward gears and reverse gear.
Starting mechanism Cadillac-Delco system.
Steering Exclusive Cadillac system of screw and gearwheel, fully adjustable and equipped with ball caps.
Driving Central control. The gearshift lever and handbrake are located in the driver compartment and, although situated right in the front, are easily accessible. Ordinary brake pedal; foot button for the accelerator; Gas and ignition handles in the steering wheel; control lever of the auxiliary air valve in the steering.
Axes rear: Cadillac-Timken, floating type with Timken bearings and alloy engines made of special steel; spiral pinion and crown. Front: Alloy beam made of steel forged and tempered in double T, with steering forks and supports for integrated springs; the extremities of the connecting rod and the front wheels are forged, as the wheels are equipped with Timken bearings in their upper extremities.

77CDV
12-08-12, 12:43 AM
Most likely a Type 59 two door, two seat roadster, probably with some body modifications.

talismandave
12-08-12, 01:07 AM
Very cool family history!

Garlasco
12-08-12, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info! At least now i can search the web for more on it.

Dirtywaterdiver
12-08-12, 10:26 PM
With a coupe body, removed fenders, running boards, bumpers, and lights and I think you have yourself a factory racer.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/9/33720004108_large.jpg