: CUE and Siri/Google Now Support Needed

cullama213
12-06-12, 10:02 PM
One big item that I think is missing from CUE is a "voice pass thru" ability that would let a user control their phone. This feature is needed to utilize Siri or Google Now. Though CUE can do a lot, it cannot set a Reminder, take a Note, send a Text or make a Calendar appointment. As an engineering professional that is on the road a lot, doing these task safely while driving are critical.

I spoke with CUE customer service and asked if this was coming, the agent said "maybe in a future update if it appears to be popular with the consumers. I then asked why GM decided to build the feature into their two cheapest domestic cars ( Spark and Sonic) as announced in the linked article below. She stated that these will be used as a test market, in not so many words.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/27/general-motors-to-become-first-car-maker-to-integrate-apples-siri-into-new-spark-and-sonic-models/

If this feature is something that you want in your CUE powered Cadillac, I suggest you call, write or both Cadillac to express your desire. I have.

daddie2k3
12-07-12, 06:26 AM
Are you sure it's not possible because I can use it on my 2011 srx...

pever
12-07-12, 07:56 AM
I am waiting for my ATS build, so I can't try this, but does this not work?

("g" below at step one is meant to be the voice button symbol)

From the ATS Manual, 7-29:

"Voice Pass-Thru

Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

To access contacts stored in the cell phone:

1. Press g. The system responds “Ready,” followed by a tone.

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say &ldquo;Voice.&rdquo; The system responds &ldquo;OK, accessing <phone name>.&rdquo;

The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions."

cullama213
12-07-12, 10:05 AM
Are you sure it's not possible because I can use it on my 2011 srx...

The SRX doesn't have CUE, so no this is different.

----------

"Voice Pass-Thru

Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say “Voice.” The system responds “OK, accessing <phone name>.”

The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions."

The instructions were printed before the CUE system was finalized, which is the same reason why the SMS app is mentioned in the instructions but not found in the system.

As for trying the quoted instructions above, when you press the voice button and then say "Bluetooth" the system begins the pairing process.

So no, this will not work.

If you try it and get it to work, please let me know.

Additionally, I spoke with the CUE support team for at least an hour about this and they stated it was pulled for safety reasons (like SMS). Which of course is a joke, because they are adding Siri integration to the Spark and Sonic.

----------

"Voice Pass-Thru

2. Say “Bluetooth.”

3. Say “Voice.” The system responds “OK, accessing <phone name>.”

The instructions were printed before the CUE system was finalized, which is the same reason why the SMS app is mentioned in the instructions but not found in the system.

As for trying the quoted instructions above, when you press the voice button and then say "Bluetooth" the system begins the pairing process.

So no, this will not work.

If you try it and get it to work, please let me know.

Additionally, I spoke with the CUE support team for at least an hour about this and they stated it was pulled for safety reasons (like SMS). Which of course is a joke, because they are adding Siri integration to the Spark and Sonic.

Yplus
01-02-13, 03:03 PM
I agree 100% about this. It's silly that Cadillac's voice system sounds like Siri, but doesn't allow my Phone's Siri to be talked to through the system. You can trick it by making it a USB connection and then Siri will work through the phone itself, with responses through the speakers, but the mic is from the phone. This is actually more dangerous and distracting than if there was bluetooth voice pass-thru.

As the OP said, I like to set reminders ("remind me when I get home to take out the trash"), read texts out loud to me, reply with brief texts via voice, etc. This is now basically impossible, or really difficult and dangerous to do, since Siri sometimes still tries to send it to CUE and CUE basically ignores it, causing Siri's button to freeze. The funny part is my crapbox Jetta did this with no problem. To me all other issues are small beans compared to being able to you Siri through the CUE over bluetooth.

cullama213
01-05-13, 11:31 AM
I agree 100% about this. It's silly that Cadillac's voice system sounds like Siri, but doesn't allow my Phone's Siri to be talked to through the system. You can trick it by making it a USB connection and then Siri will work through the phone itself, with responses through the speakers, but the mic is from the phone. This is actually more dangerous and distracting than if there was bluetooth voice pass-thru.
As the OP said, I like to set reminders ("remind me when I get home to take out the trash"), read texts out loud to me, reply with brief texts via voice, etc. This is now basically impossible, or really difficult and dangerous to do, since Siri sometimes still tries to send it to CUE and CUE basically ignores it, causing Siri's button to freeze. The funny part is my crapbox Jetta did this with no problem. To me all other issues are small beans compared to being able to you Siri through the CUE over bluetooth.

Yplus:

Thanks for voicing your thoughts. Call Cadillac and tell them you want it. If enough of us call, it might get the design team to add it to a software update!

codeman71
01-08-13, 05:25 PM
No need to call ;)

jreihsen
01-10-13, 12:29 PM
+1
I agree. I hate to lose my Siri to gain car connectivity.

Yplus
01-10-13, 12:54 PM
I assume since the Sonic is getting iPhone "eyesfree" functionality that CUE should not be too far behind. Hopefully codeman is making it known that this is eagerly awaited from many people with CUE already. It's not just the young kids, us 30-somthings with technology skills want to too!

cullama213
01-10-13, 02:20 PM
Codeman71,

If my detective skills are worth anything, it appears that you are someone that is on the software engineering team at GM. Did I guess correctly?

If so, I am glad that someone in the know is on these boards. I have attempted to add you as a friend so I could possibly PM you some questions/thoughts.

Since you posted in the thread, can you possibly expand on your hint?

codeman71
01-10-13, 04:42 PM
Hi Cullama,

Yes, I am on the interaction design team for CUE, so while I don't write the actual software, I did help create the design for how CUE functions and worked with the team to help it come alive.

Yeah, definitely feel free to PM me for any questions or things!

I cannot comment on things that haven't been announced, sorry, that's why I made my post generic. But just know that we are continually adding more features to CUE and we try to give customers features that are popular...

cullama213
01-10-13, 10:43 PM
Codeman,

I can't PM you since I am new to the boards and don't meet the criteria. Since I am the OP on this thread, I don't consider it hijacking if I slightly change subjects and discuss some other iOS items here.

1.)my iPhone 5 has some issues when answering phone calls- it wants to go straight to the headset instead of Handsfree. Are you aware of this issue? I can't get straight answers from Apple or CUE support when I call in.

2.) Can CUE support having two Bluetooth devices pairs at one time? For instance my iPhone for phone usage and my iPad for music? I know I could simply plug the iPad in via USB but I don't like continuously charging devices.

3.) My main media device is a 30gig iPod video. Whenever I am playing music from the iPod, make a phone call and then go back to the music, the system makes popping noises through my speakers/starts skipping the music (old school scratched CD style). I took the car into be looked at the week after I took delivery and the dealer said they spoke to the CUE engineers and they said iPod videos were not "supported"; however, the manual clearly says it is. I know the manual can be out dated, but before going out to buy an iPod touch I want to make sure the issue is not software related or anything.

Thanks for being a member on this forum and thank you and the rest of the Cadillac team for taking risks with CUE. Though it is not perfect, it is a refreshing thing to see in the dash of a car. I used to install car stereos as a hobby and the auto world has come a LONG way since the first 6.5" monitor I put in the dash of my CRX!

Thanks,

CUllama

LovemyATS
01-11-13, 01:26 AM
Codeman,

I can't PM you since I am new to the boards and don't meet the criteria. Since I am the OP on this thread, I don't consider it hijacking if I slightly change subjects and discuss some other iOS items here.

1.)my iPhone 5 has some issues when answering phone calls- it wants to go straight to the headset instead of Handsfree. Are you aware of this issue? I can't get straight answers from Apple or CUE support when I call in.

2.) Can CUE support having two Bluetooth devices pairs at one time? For instance my iPhone for phone usage and my iPad for music? I know I could simply plug the iPad in via USB but I don't like continuously charging devices.

3.) My main media device is a 30gig iPod video. Whenever I am playing music from the iPod, make a phone call and then go back to the music, the system makes popping noises through my speakers/starts skipping the music (old school scratched CD style). I took the car into be looked at the week after I took delivery and the dealer said they spoke to the CUE engineers and they said iPod videos were not "supported"; however, the manual clearly says it is. I know the manual can be out dated, but before going out to buy an iPod touch I want to make sure the issue is not software related or anything.

Thanks for being a member on this forum and thank you and the rest of the Cadillac team for taking risks with CUE. Though it is not perfect, it is a refreshing thing to see in the dash of a car. I used to install car stereos as a hobby and the auto world has come a LONG way since the first 6.5" monitor I put in the dash of my CRX!

Thanks,

CUllama

On point #1, it has been documented that you have to use the answer button on the steering wheel to answer the call hands free. If you press answer on the cue screen, it goes to the handset unfortunately.

cullama213
01-11-13, 07:58 AM
LovemyATS,

No matter which way I answer it, it goes to the phone.

codeman71
01-11-13, 09:10 AM
We have implemented some improvements related to this for the next software update, so that will probably fix the problem. But also when I asked one of our engineers about the iPhone, I was told that the iPhone behaves a bit differently than other Bluetooth devices. Apparently the iPhone defaults back to the last audio method that was used (handset or Bluetooth). Have you ever gotten two phone calls where the second one may behave differently because the last used audio device was CUE? Just trying to see if that's something that's interfering here.

I don't have an iPhone, so I haven't experienced this personally. Does anyone else have an iPhone 5 experience this where the audio always goes to the phone?

I'll check on the iPod video.

Unfortunately, two Bluetooth-connected devices is something that we really wanted in there but didn't make it. :(

pkadanec
01-11-13, 09:47 AM
Yes, i have an iPhone 5 and the call ALWAYS goes to the handset. I have to hit the hand free soft button on the CUE screen to switch.... VERY annoying!

Mike Grasso
01-12-13, 05:19 PM
Any idea when this first software update will hit us? I've heard there are a lot of iPhone 5 issues that will be addressed.

Caddy Daddy.com
01-13-13, 12:13 AM
We have implemented some improvements related to this for the next software update, so that will probably fix the problem. But also when I asked one of our engineers about the iPhone, I was told that the iPhone behaves a bit differently than other Bluetooth devices. Apparently the iPhone defaults back to the last audio method that was used (handset or Bluetooth). Have you ever gotten two phone calls where the second one may behave differently because the last used audio device was CUE? Just trying to see if that's something that's interfering here.

I don't have an iPhone, so I haven't experienced this personally. Does anyone else have an iPhone 5 experience this where the audio always goes to the phone?

Unfortunately, two Bluetooth-connected devices is something that we really wanted in there but didn't make it. :(

My XTS can not answer a call. Tried it on the screen and steering wheel control. The caller hears the music playing at the time in my car. 12-12-12 is the date on my car. Have the I phone that is 6 weeks old. My service is with Verizon's . Is there a fix for this? I need to get incoming calls hands free. Daddy

Dramset
01-13-13, 12:33 AM
...I was told that the iPhone behaves a bit differently than other Bluetooth devices. Apparently the iPhone defaults back to the last audio method that was used (handset or Bluetooth).

Really? 'cause iPhone 5 always works through the Bluetooth system in my 2011 SHO, no problem...

codeman71
01-14-13, 11:52 AM
Really? 'cause iPhone 5 always works through the Bluetooth system in my 2011 SHO, no problem...

Yeah I think there's a combination of a couple of things going on that are making the problem worse than it needs to be. We've fixed the issues on our side with the next software update, and if your experience is that it always goes handsfree in the Taurus, then it should be the same experience in the CUE system after the update. I haven't been able to test with an iPhone to verify that it goes back to the last used method. I guess someone could test by switching the call to the handset, ending the call, and then seeing how the next incoming call gets handled. It could also be that Apple made a fix in iOS6 as well, which I don't think was out when I was told about the iPhone's behavior.

----------

My XTS can not answer a call. Tried it on the screen and steering wheel control. The caller hears the music playing at the time in my car. 12-12-12 is the date on my car. Have the I phone that is 6 weeks old. My service is with Verizon's . Is there a fix for this? I need to get incoming calls hands free. Daddy

I'm sorry it's not working properly. It sounds like the same thing is happening that when you answer the call, the call audio is going to the phone itself rather than to the CUE system. The software update should be released soon and this should fix the problem that you're seeing. For now, if you use the touchscreen to answer the call, it should switch to show you the call information. Then you can press the Handsfree button to switch the audio over to the speakers. You could also do this from the steering wheel controls from the Phone application, press the center select switch on the right side, and then scroll to and select Switch to Handsfree. This should do it.

Caddy Daddy.com
01-14-13, 11:29 PM
Yeah I think there's a combination of a couple of things going on that are making the problem worse than it needs to be. We've fixed the issues on our side with the next software update, and if your experience is that it always goes handsfree in the Taurus, then it should be the same experience in the CUE system after the update. I haven't been able to test with an iPhone to verify that it goes back to the last used method. I guess someone could test by switching the call to the handset, ending the call, and then seeing how the next incoming call gets handled. It could also be that Apple made a fix in iOS6 as well, which I don't think was out when I was told about the iPhone's behavior.

----------

I'm sorry it's not working properly. It sounds like the same thing is happening that when you answer the call, the call audio is going to the phone itself rather than to the CUE system. The software update should be released soon and this should fix the problem that you're seeing. For now, if you use the touchscreen to answer the call, it should switch to show you the call information. Then you can press the Handsfree button to switch the audio over to the speakers. You could also do this from the steering wheel controls from the Phone application, press the center select switch on the right side, and then scroll to and select Switch to Handsfree. This should do it.

Thank you. I will try it tomorrow. Who is the best person to give my recommendations on how CUE can be better. Example: Back button integration on steering wheel would help keep eyes more on the road. Presets for tone. All music is not created equal and would it not be great to have three choices preset.
Thank you,
Daddy In a former life Dr. Watts your car stereo doctor.

codeman71
01-15-13, 10:47 AM
Thank you. I will try it tomorrow. Who is the best person to give my recommendations on how CUE can be better. Example: Back button integration on steering wheel would help keep eyes more on the road. Presets for tone. All music is not created equal and would it not be great to have three choices preset.

We're always looking for improvements to the CUE system. We don't have a real formal process set up for something like that, but at least posting here will get your input to me, who is on the core CUE design team. As far as with the steering wheel, we made a very conscious effort to separate the driver display from the center stack display. Therefore, all controls on the steering wheel affect the display directly in front. Otherwise, you might be going back and forth between the center display and the steering wheel to reach certain buttons that are placed there. So, for the driver display, you can press the left direction on the switch, which does act as a back button for that display. You can do many of the things from the driver display and steering wheel controls that you can do in the center display, so we felt this was the best way to control many of the functions that you would be doing frequently while driving.

For tone presets, that feature is actually already in the system. We've got a huge audiophile on our team and that was one of his must-have features as well. While you are in the Tone Settings page, you can raise up the Favorites by dragging up on the buttons along the bottom of the screen. Then, just press and hold on the button location that you'd like to save the current tone settings to. It will be labeled Tone 1. Then your next one will be Tone 2, and so on. Once you've got the settings that you like, you can then press the Home button, select Settings, then select Radio, and then Manage Favorites. Then, select the favorite that you would like to rename, select the Rename button along the bottom, then use the keyboard to enter the name you'd like. Once done press the Back button and then edit the other Favorites you'd like to rename. Once you're all finished, press the Done button and all of your changes will be saved.

So, now when you are listening to something off your iPod, or radio, just select the tone Favorite you'd like and viola!, the settings are set just the way you'd like.

Sir CussFreq
01-15-13, 01:10 PM
Wrong thread... Please delete.

cullama213
01-23-13, 10:01 PM

Codeman71:

I found another quirk with my iPod/CUE interaction. When I first start up my ATS and select an album from it the songs from that album play in the correct order.

If I select an album later on in the drive, after the 'media device has finished updating' (I.E. when I can finally quick search through the iPod) the songs play in alphabetical order instead of the way they are on the album.

Are you aware of this issue?

Do you think this is something that may be addressed in the software update?

Thanks,
cullama

inspectorudy
01-24-13, 12:58 AM
codeman, from your instructions above about the tone settings it sounds like they can become favorites and be labeled so. But when you press a favorite button like an FM station and it is playing and then you press another favorite called tone 1 will they interact without canceling one out?

codeman71
01-24-13, 09:32 AM
codeman, from your instructions above about the tone settings it sounds like they can become favorites and be labeled so. But when you press a favorite button like an FM station and it is playing and then you press another favorite called tone 1 will they interact without canceling one out?

Yep. They will both work because they are different types. This is similar to a Navigation favorite, for example. You could have either a radio or media favorite going and then could press on a navigation favorite to begin routing to that favorite. The tone favorites work similarly. You can be listening to whatever and then press one of the tone favorites. It will then recall the settings saved for that tone, but without changing what you are listening to. Those tone settings will remain active until you either go into the menu and adjust them again, or select a different tone favorite.

----------

Codeman71:

I found another quirk with my iPod/CUE interaction. When I first start up my ATS and select an album from it the songs from that album play in the correct order.

If I select an album later on in the drive, after the 'media device has finished updating' (I.E. when I can finally quick search through the iPod) the songs play in alphabetical order instead of the way they are on the album.

Are you aware of this issue?

Do you think this is something that may be addressed in the software update?

Thanks,
cullama

That's pretty odd - I don't recall hearing of that issue. Just so I have a better understanding, how exactly are you asking the next album to play? Are you using the speech system, or are you using the touchscreen? If you are using the touchscreen, are you pressing the play button next to the album name in the list, or are you selecting the album name and then selecting a particular song to begin playback of the album? Or...are you maybe using the steering wheel controls or possibly a favorite?

All of these shouldn't make a difference, as they should all play in album order unless you have shuffle turned on. Just curious if maybe it works differently for you depending on how you selected the music. But yes, there were quite a few fixes in the next update so most likely if there was a bug in there it was cleaned out.

cullama213
01-24-13, 02:14 PM
Yep. They will both work because they are different types. This is similar to a Navigation favorite, for example. You could have either a radio or media favorite going and then could press on a navigation favorite to begin routing to that favorite. The tone favorites work similarly. You can be listening to whatever and then press one of the tone favorites. It will then recall the settings saved for that tone, but without changing what you are listening to. Those tone settings will remain active until you either go into the menu and adjust them again, or select a different tone favorite.

----------

That's pretty odd - I don't recall hearing of that issue. Just so I have a better understanding, how exactly are you asking the next album to play? Are you using the speech system, or are you using the touchscreen? If you are using the touchscreen, are you pressing the play button next to the album name in the list, or are you selecting the album name and then selecting a particular song to begin playback of the album? Or...are you maybe using the steering wheel controls or possibly a favorite?

All of these shouldn't make a difference, as they should all play in album order unless you have shuffle turned on. Just curious if maybe it works differently for you depending on how you selected the music. But yes, there were quite a few fixes in the next update so most likely if there was a bug in there it was cleaned out.

Codeman,

It happens no matter which way I select the album... Touch, DIC or Voice.

Caddy Daddy.com
01-24-13, 10:45 PM
We're always looking for improvements to the CUE system. We don't have a real formal process set up for something like that, but at least posting here will get your input to me, who is on the core CUE design team. As far as with the steering wheel, we made a very conscious effort to separate the driver display from the center stack display. Therefore, all controls on the steering wheel affect the display directly in front. Otherwise, you might be going back and forth between the center display and the steering wheel to reach certain buttons that are placed there. So, for the driver display, you can press the left direction on the switch, which does act as a back button for that display. You can do many of the things from the driver display and steering wheel controls that you can do in the center display, so we felt this was the best way to control many of the functions that you would be doing frequently while driving.

For tone presets, that feature is actually already in the system. We've got a huge audiophile on our team and that was one of his must-have features as well. While you are in the Tone Settings page, you can raise up the Favorites by dragging up on the buttons along the bottom of the screen. Then, just press and hold on the button location that you'd like to save the current tone settings to. It will be labeled Tone 1. Then your next one will be Tone 2, and so on. Once you've got the settings that you like, you can then press the Home button, select Settings, then select Radio, and then Manage Favorites. Then, select the favorite that you would like to rename, select the Rename button along the bottom, then use the keyboard to enter the name you'd like. Once done press the Back button and then edit the other Favorites you'd like to rename. Once you're all finished, press the Done button and all of your changes will be saved.

So, now when you are listening to something off your iPod, or radio, just select the tone Favorite you'd like and viola!, the settings are set just the way you'd like.

I'm back from my son's wedding in Maui. Set up three tone setting and it was EZ. What great forward thinking to have your favorites be what you want them to be and label the way you want. Can not wait to learn more. Thank you, DADDY

codeman71
01-25-13, 09:21 AM
I'm back from my son's wedding in Maui. Set up three tone setting and it was EZ. What great forward thinking to have your favorites be what you want them to be and label the way you want. Can not wait to learn more. Thank you, DADDY

Hopefully you enjoyed the trip to Maui. I'm so glad it was what you were looking for in the Favorites!