: Cruise control question

mike sts
12-06-12, 09:53 PM
I notice sometimes when I set my cruise control if I go down a hill the car will maintain the set speed with engine breaking. Other times the car does not maintain speed it just accelerates. Is there a trick to this?

chazglenn3
12-06-12, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure about the standard cruise control, but my car with the adaptive cruise control the car actually uses the brakes to slow itself down. I would think that it depends on what gear the car is in at the time as to whether or not engine braking takes effect.

truckinman
12-07-12, 05:04 AM
When cars with out adaptive cruise do that, the car is usually using it's gearing to keep the cars speed as close to the set speed as possible. My 04 jeep grand Cherokee limited did this as well.

But yes, the adaptive cruise uses it's brakea. My parents Avalon limited has ACC as well and uses it's actual brakes also when going down hill

mike sts
12-07-12, 07:01 AM
My car does not have adaptive cruise control it only sometimes maintains speed downhill, is there a trick to get it to do it all the time

truckinman
12-07-12, 07:45 AM
As far as I know there's no trick. I think the steeper the hill the more likely it is to do it bc it's picking up speed quicker on the steeper hills. At least that's what I noticed on my jeep. But I've not gone into enough hilly terrain with the STS to say for sure on this car

Mullah88
12-07-12, 10:30 AM
How do you know your car has ACC?

truckinman
12-07-12, 11:47 AM
How do you know your car has ACC?

Whos car? Or are you just asking how you xan tell? If that's the case, only the cars with the heads up display can have it. So if you don't have a HUD you def don't have ACC. You can tell on cars like my patents Avalon bc there's a little window on the front bumper right by the passenger fog light where the laser does it's thing from.

curtc
12-07-12, 12:21 PM
You can easily tell on the STS's by looking at the front emblem...

If the car has ACC then the front emblem is about 6 inches in diameter with a painted on Cadillac crest, it IS the radar. If no ACC then it's just a normal glued on emblem.

dkozloski
12-07-12, 01:09 PM
The little window on the bumper is for insertion of a towing hook. ACC is a radar device and not laser.

truckinman
12-07-12, 02:12 PM
The little window on the bumper is for insertion of a towing hook. ACC is a radar device and not laser.

Well on the avalons, that tinted window is where the mechanism is. Only the ones with that type of cruise have that cut out window with tinted plastic. It's not an empty hole that anything can be inserted in.

----------

Plus the Avalons that have it have a distance button on the lower right steering wheel spoke. But on 08 and newer Avalons, they did relocate the mechanism bc they changed the front facia slightly

Ludacrisvp
12-07-12, 02:25 PM
The STS has a steering wheel button labeled GAP that controls your distance from car in front of you.

Does anyone know if the ACC sets off people's radar detectors?

truckinman
12-07-12, 03:19 PM
i dont believe it does Lud. isnt it like a different frequency or something than what cops use on their radar guns?? i dont know for sure tho.

----------

heck, to be honest, when ever i drive my parents car, i dont even use the ACC. i turn on the normal mode and use it as regular cruise when i drive it..lol. i just worry one of these times its not going to work..lol

Ludacrisvp
12-07-12, 06:55 PM
There is no normal mode. You're always in ACC mode if you have it.

chazglenn3
12-07-12, 07:16 PM
Yeah...whever the cruise switch is on the radar is on. And the emblem is not the actual radar transmitter, it is a radome...the transmitter sits behind the emblem.

truckinman
12-07-12, 08:46 PM
There is no normal mode. You're always in ACC mode if you have it.

On the STS yes but I was referring to my folks avalon. You can toggle between regular and radar mode

EChas3
12-08-12, 03:03 PM
I thought Toyota's first attempts were sonar. I know Lexus & many others are laser and more subject to poor weather conditions. GM's is radar but cruise shouldn't really be used in poor weather, regardless.

truckinman
12-08-12, 05:21 PM
You're right chase. they were laser. thats what i thought as well. and yes, the rain is the reason they made it available to switch over to regular cruise. when it rains, you cant use the laser cruise.

EChas3
12-09-12, 01:02 AM
You really shouldn't use cruise in rain. It can be dangerous.