: What cold air intake should i use?

mbdubb2361
12-06-12, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone looking to add a cold air intake to my 2011 Slade. Which would you recommend? I was thinking of going with a K&N but wanted to know if there is something better or are they all the same.

Royalton
12-06-12, 09:25 PM
None, you already have one. The stock setup gives you all the air (cool air) that you need. K&N is a scam you will not gain even 1 hp. the spray oil for K&N is well known to foul up the MAF sensor too. As long as you have a clean air filter on, you are good to go.

Money burning a hole in your pocket? Get a Diablo tuner and gain 25hp. Get a Corsa exhaust and gain another 25hp. get some Hotchkis sway bars, or get some LEDs from V-LED, get a bazooka tube for the trunk. Lots of much better ideas than a K&N air filter that cost the same.

lee88
12-06-12, 10:29 PM
None, you already have one. The stock setup gives you all the air (cool air) that you need. K&N is a scam you will not gain even 1 hp. the spray oil for K&N is well known to foul up the MAF sensor too. As long as you have a clean air filter on, you are good to go.

Money burning a hole in your pocket? Get a Diablo tuner and gain 25hp. Get a Corsa exhaust and gain another 25hp. get some Hotchkis sway bars, or get some LEDs from V-LED, get a bazooka tube for the trunk. Lots of much better ideas than a K&N air filter that cost the same.

How do both of these mods effect your mpg? I could use an extra 50hp

36dbldz
12-06-12, 10:49 PM
Isn't it the more hp you gain the less mpg you get? You don't see lambos getting high mpgs

48Dodge
12-06-12, 11:10 PM
Isn't it the more hp you gain the less mpg you get? You don't see lambos getting high mpgs

But you do see corvettes getting high mileage. If an engine can make more horsepower with the same amount of fuel you'll get better mileage. Guys are getting better mileage with intake, exhaust and tunes but you have to keep your foot out of it.

Ghost Deany
12-06-12, 11:44 PM
I have the metal K&N one and i like it. Friend had a Volant and the plastic part for the vaccum hose broke.[COLOR="Silver"]

Royalton
12-07-12, 12:06 AM
If you drove the same exact way with stock as with a tune and exhaust you would have about 2 maybe 3 mpg MORE with the tune and exhaust.

The tune isn't dumping in more fuel to get more raw hp its advancing the timing (you will only be able to run 93 octane premium fuel) the advanced timing will change the point at which the gas ignites creating higher compression and more momentum to the crank shaft. with more hp its easier to propel the weight of the vehicle forward. it also firms up the shifting so you have more of the rpms of the engine going to the drive shaft longer. less loss of rotation. The exhaust will increase the flow of gas out. decreasing the backflow pressure but not too much as you actually need a certain amount. It is also lighter than the stock exhaust. Short of boring the engine, or adding a turbo or supercharger these 2 mods are the best $ per HP you can add.

lee88
12-07-12, 03:59 PM
How do they effect engine life In the long run? The two mods

mbdubb2361
12-08-12, 12:12 AM
If you drove the same exact way with stock as with a tune and exhaust you would have about 2 maybe 3 mpg MORE with the tune and exhaust.

The tune isn't dumping in more fuel to get more raw hp its advancing the timing (you will only be able to run 93 octane premium fuel) the advanced timing will change the point at which the gas ignites creating higher compression and more momentum to the crank shaft. with more hp its easier to propel the weight of the vehicle forward. it also firms up the shifting so you have more of the rpms of the engine going to the drive shaft longer. less loss of rotation. The exhaust will increase the flow of gas out. decreasing the backflow pressure but not too much as you actually need a certain amount. It is also lighter than the stock exhaust. Short of boring the engine, or adding a turbo or supercharger these 2 mods are the best $ per HP you can add.

Thanks for the great advice!

Royalton
12-08-12, 01:19 AM
How do they effect engine life In the long run? The two mods

Catback exhaust should have no issue on longevity at all.

As for a tune it could vary and would be hard to say, it will depend a lot on the driver. With advancing the timing if you don't use 93 octane gas you could get detonation in the engine, sounds like a gargling or marbles smacking around when you stomp on the gas. This can cause issues if left unchecked. So it would all depend on just how far the timing gets advanced. if you don't hear that noise though than you should be fine. Advancing the timing will also raise the compression a small amount. I have not seen any comparison charts of stock compression vs higher compression as to the affects long term. Someone else will have to chime in on that. My opinion though is that for the most part you will have higher temps inside the engine due to raised compression levels, it should be still well inside safe specs and not affect seals, or internal wear and tear on a properly maintained engine. Id guess that if you don't change your oil for 50,000 miles my guess is that the engine with higher compression and heat would be in trouble first before the stock one.

Here's something else to chew on. The tuned engine is running higher compression + higher heat but 25 more hp. To maintain a speed of 70mph the tuned engine would have slightly lower rpms though, well say 100 rpms less. If you spend 10 hours a week driving that would equate to over 3 million engine revolutions less per year on the tuned car. So which is better less pressure or less physical movement..... no idea

kazza93203
12-08-12, 01:29 AM
Airaid intakes are by far the best. There's a lot of hype about intakes not performing as they should or damaging parts on here. I think the problem lies with the people making it a excuse that a part failed due to a k and n let's say. Yea they have oil on there filter. Then again people applying excessive amounts of oil causing it to travel to a sensor. Goes both ways. The whole tune and exhaust theory is good, but what good does it do if u extra flow(exhaust) and more fuel(tuner) if you dnt have more air? The more air the better! Stock intakes are restricted due to emission and gas guzzler laws. A manufacture isn't going to max out a intake or exhaust on a common truck because it's extra $$$$$ out of their pockets. My point is that a intake makes a huge different. Would you perform better breathing thur a pipe or a straw? Same concept.

Royalton
12-08-12, 02:44 AM
K&N adds this about their own test results...Furthermore, we certainly do not have enough information to make a judgment on the validity of these tests.

K&N also makes a metal intake tube...from what I know after grade 5 is that metal heats up. So you are actually heating up the air as it passes though this tube before entering inside the engine. It should be called a cold air intake warmer kit. Not all K&Ns are metal though and Airaid are plastic too which is the best choice. I would not be surprised if you lost a couple hp from the ones using any kind of metal tubing.

Our Lades come with a quite massive cold air induction kit already stock. If you had a vehicle sucking in warm engine air I would be all for the K&N set up. But ours don't need it and they cant suck in any more air than they are already getting. It's not like a straw vs a hose unless that straw's hole is 2" wide and the hose is 3" wide opening, one will be bigger but you'll breathe the same through a 2" hole vs a 3" hole since you are limited by how much air you can breath in at one time anyway.

CAI on our year Lades are a personal preference and not cold hard fact. Some people like the noise some people don't, others swear by them and others like myself don't believe in them. If you think you are going to gain 10hp on that mod though you are smokin some good stuff.

kazza93203
12-08-12, 04:36 AM
K&N adds this about their own test results...Furthermore, we certainly do not have enough information to make a judgment on the validity of these tests.

K&N also makes a metal intake tube...from what I know after grade 5 is that metal heats up. So you are actually heating up the air as it passes though this tube before entering inside the engine. It should be called a cold air intake warmer kit. Not all K&Ns are metal though and Airaid are plastic too which is the best choice. I would not be surprised if you lost a couple hp from the ones using any kind of metal tubing.

Our Lades come with a quite massive cold air induction kit already stock. If you had a vehicle sucking in warm engine air I would be all for the K&N set up. But ours don't need it and they cant suck in any more air than they are already getting. It's not like a straw vs a hose unless that straw's hole is 2" wide and the hose is 3" wide opening, one will be bigger but you'll breathe the same through a 2" hole vs a 3" hole since you are limited by how much air you can breath in at one time anyway.

CAI on our year Lades are a personal preference and not cold hard fact. Some people like the noise some people don't, others swear by them and others like myself don't believe in them. If you think you are going to gain 10hp on that mod though you are smokin some good stuff.

Anytime you introduce more air or fuel to a mixture creates more power. Saying it won't "suck" more air than it needs isn't entirely true. All stock intakes are restrictive. Thus putting on a aftermarket intake frees up the restriction, creating the whistle type noise which some people like. Our stock intake sounds choked up on full throttle, compared to full throttle on a aftermarket, which sounds completely free. You can dump all the fuel you want down a cylinder and get rid of it as soon as it comes out, but if you dont have the extra air with that extra fuel is only a waste of fuel. Not to mention performance.
Oh one more point I may add is, the huge stock intake may looks like its sucking in huge amounts of air. But in fact, there's only a (I'd say) 3 inch inlet that goes into that gigantic air trap.

soulsea
12-08-12, 02:05 PM
Blackbear Performance did a comparison test on the Tahoe/Yukon 5.3 engines ... not sure how that translates to the 6.2 but there might be some translatable value in the tables: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55742651/Intake%20Testing/Intake%20Testing%20Results%20-%20Intake%20Testing%20Results.pdf

Royalton
12-08-12, 03:42 PM
That is the first believable Dyno test I have seen on them. Thanks for providing that link very good link.

So Kazzaa, thank you for challenging me, it looks like you are right. There seams to be a slightly better airflow design with the CAI system especially the one you recommended. Whether it is the smooth over sized inlet design or the filter allowing more air to pass, it looks like something is helping, but it is still not as high of a gain as they sell you on it.

K&N 1-6 HP gain
Airaid Jr. 2-9 HP gain

Looking closer at Airaid I did notice a larger diameter tube than stock and less bends than stock too. Also saw that they offer a non oiled filter too which is nice, and the better choice.

I still can't recommend a K&N due to their high cost, metal tubing, and low hp gain, but as kazzaa mentioned it does appear that the Airaid CAI system does achieve a moderate increase in HP and the cost is only around $170 My hat is off to ya sir.

Airaid intake + exhaust + tune could equate to up to 54 extra HP. Bringing the total up to a possible 457HP, Not bad indeed

K9Caddy
12-08-12, 03:54 PM
There are K&N systems that DO NOT use a metal air tube. They actually offer multiple systems and the one I use is the 63 series. This one in the link below and it flows quite well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B003BDW0TM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1&isremote=0

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 08:04 PM
Interesting.. googled and from autoanything..

9. Which is Better for Optimum Performance: a Plastic or Metal Intake Tube?

For sheer performance, neither a metal nor plastic tube out powers the other. The metal intake tube does not run significantly hotter than a plastic, and both provide smooth air flow. The difference is mostly looks and cost.

I have always put intakes on my vehicles since i was younger. Mainly for the sound. Until recently they were always metal, then i saw plastic ones start appearing.

kazza93203
12-08-12, 10:13 PM
That is the first believable Dyno test I have seen on them. Thanks for providing that link very good link.

So Kazzaa, thank you for challenging me, it looks like you are right. There seams to be a slightly better airflow design with the CAI system especially the one you recommended. Whether it is the smooth over sized inlet design or the filter allowing more air to pass, it looks like something is helping, but it is still not as high of a gain as they sell you on it.

K&N 1-6 HP gain
Airaid Jr. 2-9 HP gain

Looking closer at Airaid I did notice a larger diameter tube than stock and less bends than stock too. Also saw that they offer a non oiled filter too which is nice, and the better choice.

I still can't recommend a K&N due to their high cost, metal tubing, and low hp gain, but as kazzaa mentioned it does appear that the Airaid CAI system does achieve a moderate increase in HP and the cost is only around $170 My hat is off to ya sir.

Airaid intake + exhaust + tune could equate to up to 54 extra HP. Bringing the total up to a possible 457HP, Not bad indeed

Just chiming in on my fellow forumers. As far as the metal to plastic comparison goes. Royalton is on the right track. Metal does retain more heat that plastic will. Especially in our case because the intake tube is directly between the radiator and engine. Aswell as looks to. But yea plastic Is always the better choice in a intake. Don't know if you all have noticed the price difference in a metal vs plastic intake. Plastic is usually more expensive. You just can't grab a bunch of plastic pieces and melt them together like a metal one. Oh and K and N isn't a very good product just due to problems I've seen with them. Popular yes, but only because they are usually cheaper and over stocked.