: The best place you ever lived?

orconn
12-06-12, 03:18 PM
Any criteria is good, just give you reasons for thinking the place was the "best where you ever lived!"

Submariner409
12-06-12, 03:27 PM
Isle of Palms, SC - U.S. Navy from 02/65 through 06/79 with a 5-year break on Staff Duty from 12/67 - 06/72. Different time, different world, different people, different cost of living....... but nonetheless, some of the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met .......... and when a pretty little brunette from Charleston answers "Would you like to go out for a dinner date ?" with "Hail, yayiss !" that covers a lot of ground in a hurry :bouncy:.

Went back in 06/09 and 11/12 for a sub reunion and a Thanksgiving gathering. Different world now. I'll stay here on Kent Island.

(Close second - Naples, Italy from ^^^ 12/67 - 01/70. History, wine, nice people, food to die for.)

orconn
12-06-12, 05:29 PM
I am not surprised by you take on time and place, Sub. The place that springs to mind when I think of favorite place is Sao Paulo, Brazil. At the time Sao Paulo was about the size of Chicago in the fifties (today Sao Paulo is bigger that Los Angeles is today, not just in population but geographical size). I was raised in Southern California until a year and half before I went to Brazil, so a more Latin atmosphere was not a great shock to me.

Sao Paulo had great hotel and restaurants and a great transportation system that allowed us kids to explore the city when ever we had the chance. The American dollar went a long way and what American families living there gave up in modern conveniences of the 1950's was more than made up with maids, butlers and other household help and services. You couldn't get the latest styles of cloths, or records (although in my case, since my Dad headed up RCA do Brasil and the company pressed almost all the records and labels for the rest of South America I got the new records sooner than most).

The best part was the people I met and the experiences I was able to have with the food and cultures of people from all over the world. Sao Paulo also introduced me to a world without racial prejudice and a very different class system than I had experienced in the U.S. (particularly the East Coast). The music (which was on every street corner) with its' omnipresent Samba beat, and the smiling, positive and friendly demeanor of the man (or woman) on the street made learning about and living in the city very enjoyable.

The climate was about like that of Southern California, although getting used to Christmas in Summer took some work! Sao Paulo has several large reservoir lakes nearby ( now they are actually in the city limits, but they are in the city limits now) which were great for sailing and water skiing. The Interlagos auto race track used to be well out of the city, today it is surrounded by high rises.

Sao Paulo was great when I lived there, but i wouldn't want to live there or eve visit today. The city is huge and best with some of the worse traffic jams in the world. It now has the highest number of helicopter taxis in the world which is a good thing if you are one of the very wealthy that can afford to use them. The street where I used to live, which was a broad and pretty avenue running along a ridge over looking downtown, is not a six lane divided street with solid high rises on either side of the street. The pollution is a problem, and like most over populated cities I am sure pleasant civility has given way to the hardness of big city life.

Being the kid of an "itinerant worker" I moved to a new place about every two to three years growing up. I enjoyed virtually all of them. And for six years after college I was moving around the world at the governments whim, I really enjoyed the opportunity to see and live in many parts of the world, but when I think back I think Sao Paulo, Brazil in the 1950's was my favorite.

As Subs said, time marches on and places change, some for the better many for the worse!

vincentm
12-06-12, 05:33 PM
Downtown Seattle

orconn
12-06-12, 05:41 PM
^^^ I've heard that downtown Seattle is really great!

dkozloski
12-06-12, 05:47 PM
I know a Samoan that moved to Barrow, Alaska because it's the only place he could find in the world to live that his relatives wouldn't come move in with him.

There's no place like home.

The-Dullahan
12-06-12, 05:57 PM
While I have "Lived" many places for a few months here or there, I suppose the only three places I can really count are Clermont/Groveland Florida at the bottom of the tier, Mount Charleston/Las Vegas Nevada and of course, at the very top, Pocono Lake Pennsylvania. The weather was fantastic, as we got snow for most of the year. The rest of the year, there were actually different seasons, with Autumn being quite breathtaking. I had acres upon acres of mountainside to frolic throughout and not a single true neighbour. Rivers, cliffsides, caves and forests so dense that you could lose yourself within them for days and never truly see the sun from beneath the treeline canopy. The weather was never humid or hot, as all humidity turned into a dense fog that rolled along the ground for most of the morning and evening. The evening was always clear at night unless one was in the midst of a large thunderstorm or blizzard. I enjoyed the blizzards and thunderstorms as well. The people there were all nice and there was a lot of culture, as basically all were immigrated. Everyone could get along. Florida is nowhere near as nice of a place, if I were to base it on the general average demeanor of the residents. There was no traffic...in fact, one would go weeks without seeing another car on the road outside my house. There were even times one could go just as long without seeing another living soul, aside from people who lived in the same house as you. Everyone owned an antique car. Many people owned ONLY antique cars. The houses were dignified, unique and upstanding, rather than the cookie-cutter houses of Floridian suburbs that are all essentially the same house with different options.

In recent times I have found that some of the nicer details of living in such a place can be captured ten minutes outside Las Vegas in Mount Charleston and thereby, set out to acquire property there as well. I am rather fond of it. Las Vegas as a city however, is still much nicer than any in Florida, in my most humble opinion.

MotownPimp
12-06-12, 08:40 PM
Sacramento where I've lived for past 40 years. When I first came to Cali, I lived in SanDiego and had the chance to visit cities throughout the state. Sacramento was my choice & I guided my career that direction. Sacto. folks are more like my midwest roots and the town has change of seasons with no snow/ice (grew up in Detroit...hate snow). it is also centrally located with easy access to coast, mountains, & wine country. Being on the delta the town always cools down to the 60s/70s in evening regardless of highs during day.

vincentm
12-06-12, 09:30 PM
Sacramento where I've lived for past 40 years. When I first came to Cali, I lived in SanDiego and had the chance to visit cities throughout the state. Sacramento was my choice & I guided my career that direction. Sacto. folks are more like my midwest roots and the town has change of seasons with no snow/ice (grew up in Detroit...hate snow). it is also centrally located with easy access to coast, mountains, & wine country. Being on the delta the town always cools down to the 60s/70s in evening regardless of highs during day.

Born n raised in south sacramento here

Stingroo
12-06-12, 11:54 PM
TBJS is going to razz me for admitting this but... of all the places I've ever lived, North Billerica, Massachusetts is still my favorite. I lived there during some of the most important and eye opening years of my life, and I'll never forget the lessons I learned or the people I met there.

Good times, good times indeed.

gdwriter
12-07-12, 01:41 AM
Where I am now. You couldn't pry me out of Oregon with a crowbar.

Stingroo
12-07-12, 06:32 AM
http://ragefaces.s3.amazonaws.com/503e2bb5ae7c700dcb00000b/challenge-accepted.png

CIWS
12-07-12, 07:29 AM
My mother's womb. No wonder I started crying when I had to come into this world. . . ;-)

truckinman
12-07-12, 09:27 AM
Well I don't have much pickins to choose from here. Lived in rural OH on the west side of the state up until a year ago. Now I live in a suburb of the state capital, Columbus. Oh how I miss country life tho.

ThumperPup
12-07-12, 09:33 AM
a year ago i would have said Teijing China
now im going to say South Florida i love being able to wake up and never have to worry about snow again
have so many things to choose from a beach not to far away wonderful weather
i have even learned not to care about rain no more unbrellas for me

iwannaracecar
12-07-12, 10:24 AM
I know its not Chicago. I can't stand this place.

CadillacLuke24
12-07-12, 03:46 PM
Hard to say.

I like Laramie's Gegraphic location, but can't stand the residents between August and May.

Gillette is a dirty boom town dump. NO.

Sioux Falls was decent, but it's too big for my liking.

Rapid City is meh.

Pierre SUCKED.

So I guess Laramie it is!

truckinman
12-07-12, 04:39 PM
I know its not Chicago. I can't stand this place.

I can't stand driving thru that place let alone would I ever live there. You guys have some of the CRAZIEST drivers I've ever seen!

cadillac kevin
12-07-12, 06:56 PM
I can't stand driving thru that place let alone would I ever live there. You guys have some of the CRAZIEST drivers I've ever seen!

I agree- having stayed on the south side a few times.

I prefer STL...its like a huge small town...and we have thin crust pizza, toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, and the arch.

iwannaracecar
12-07-12, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna go with thomball, Texas. I loved living on the 600+ acre ranch no city drivers to deal with, fishing and hunting whenever I wanted and the ladies out there were amazing.

dkozloski
12-07-12, 08:20 PM
Podunk, Iowa "The Hub of the Universe". At least that's what the sign says.

rodnok01
12-07-12, 09:40 PM
NC but the rural areas... The first time I came to NC many years ago someone talked to me at the gas n go and I almost fell out, I said you talkin to me.... You'd get shot or told to f off where I was living. Plus it gets cool here but not 15 below for a few weeks. I was working on trucks at the time and have permanent damage from frostbite.
Having lived through blizzards, tornado's, ice storms up north we only have Hurricane to deal with mostly here and you see them coming for a week. The absolute best thing about NC is the family lives elsewhere :)

vincentm
12-07-12, 10:03 PM
The absolute best thing about NC is the family lives elsewhere :)

Same, i have a cousin though marriage over on the west wide of WA in Vancouver, but yea, family is all in California, peace and quiet at times.

thebigjimsho
12-09-12, 01:55 AM
TBJS is going to razz me for admitting this but... of all the places I've ever lived, North Billerica, Massachusetts is still my favorite. I lived there during some of the most important and eye opening years of my life, and I'll never forget the lessons I learned or the people I met there.

Good times, good times indeed.

And Polar Birch Beer...

----------

I love New England. If anyplace else, Sausalito, CA. And I'd want a summer home in Good Hart, MI...

Stingroo
12-09-12, 03:06 AM
Never had. There was always Market Basket birch beer in our house though.

mmm....

dkozloski
12-09-12, 04:26 PM
It's a well kept secret that Fairbanks, Alaska has the most pleasant summer weather in the country. Temperatures in the mid to upper 70s, gentle breezes, cool evenings, and 24 hour daylight. The tourists don't know when to sleep. It was recently named the second best travel destination in America by the travel industry.

Winter is cold as hell but at least wind is a rarity.

orconn
12-09-12, 05:06 PM
I also heard the Fairbanks has the highest crime rate in Alaska (which is no mean feat) which is strange with all the daylight!

thebigjimsho
12-09-12, 06:02 PM
Never had. There was always Market Basket birch beer in our house though.

mmm....

Polar is one of the oldest beverage companies in the country. And they're based out of Worcester so I like to support them. Plus, they be good.