: which one would you buy???

90limited
12-06-12, 01:53 PM
which one would you buy?

- 02 EXT white - great shape inside and out 107k miles $ 12,500
- 03 EXT silver sand - scratch on passenger door and wear on drive seat 99k miles $ 12,900
- 04 EXT Quick silver - rims pitted from road salt, rest of car seems to be in good shape 95k miles $ 13,800

All three have clean car faxes, 22" rims and are from salty winter road areas...

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 05:11 PM
which one would you buy?

- 02 EXT white - great shape inside and out 107k miles $ 12,500
- 03 EXT silver sand - scratch on passenger door and wear on drive seat 99k miles $ 12,500
- 04 EXT Quick silver - rims pitted from road salt, rest of car seems to be in good shape $ 13,800

All three have clean car faxes, 22" rims and are from salty winter road areas...

I say the last one but it depends on the mileage also as rims can be replaced or resurfaced
Most times if they are washed as soon as possible the salt doesn't have a chance to do any damage

6lbsofSound
12-06-12, 06:25 PM
Me personally I take car fax reports with a grain of salt. They are not accurate and they have that written in the t&c's. I would go over each vehicle thoroughly costmetically as well as mechanically. If they check out fine I would purchase the one that has a thorough maintenance history. Which to me means that it is well cared for. Rims can always be repaired or replaced depending on the condition.

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 07:10 PM
Me personally I take car fax reports with a grain of salt. They are not accurate and they have that written in the t&c's. I would go over each vehicle thoroughly costmetically as well as mechanically. If they check out fine I would purchase the one that has a thorough maintenance history. Which to me means that it is well cared for. Rims can always be repaired or replaced depending on the condition.

True I do suggest getting the dealer to pull the service history before deciding

90limited
12-06-12, 10:14 PM
I fired on the 04 and made a deal... told the dealership that he had to send in writing that no service lights were on and the truck would drive out fine, before I drove 6 hours to go get it... He said that he wanted to drive it around the block as it had been sitting awhile and would call me back. The truck is now in their shop with a stability light, rear air ride and a jumpy oil presure gauge. Heck and darn.

6lbsofSound
12-06-12, 10:24 PM
That would make a bit sketchy on the truck.you might want to send someone that does a PPI aka per purchase inspection to look at it once the dealer does the service. Worth the $100-150 before you take a 6 hour drive and end up with a lemon.

90limited
12-06-12, 10:54 PM
That may be a good idea... If they reset the codes, how long can it take before they reappear? Will a 15-20 mile test drive be enough?

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 11:30 PM
That may be a good idea... If they reset the codes, how long can it take before they reappear? Will a 15-20 mile test drive be enough?

It depends on what sets the code

zapconj
12-07-12, 09:03 AM
The company I bought my aftermarket warranty from (Carchex) offers the mechanic inspection service. I forget the full details so I woul recomend checking out their website: www.carchex.com

Unless you are mechanically inclined, I would recommend looking into an aftermarket warranty of sorts. The carfax on my 04 Ext came back clean with service reports from the dealer on a regular basis for maintence. Since I bought it in April, I've had it for service twice and have had the following replaced/repaired

Left and right front hubs
Air ride compressor
Breaks all around
Driver and passenger window regulators
Power steering pump
AC compressor
Front diff
Transfer case
Rear diff

All of these were covered under the aftermarket warranty I bought except the belts and breaks. Outside of the warranty cost, I am out of pocket $200 for the covered repairs. And all work was done at a Chevy dealer and with factory GM parts. The company did not send an adjuster out for a single repair review.

The warranty costed me $2200 and I made monthly payments. If I didn't have the warranty I most defiantly would have been a pinch to get the repairs done.

If you do get a warranty make sure you do your research and get one that is comprehensive and has a good reputation. I bought the one from Carchex and have been very happy with it.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

the cadillac man
12-07-12, 12:41 PM
The company I bought my aftermarket warranty from (Carchex) offers the mechanic inspection service. I forget the full details so I woul recomend checking out their website: www.carchex.com

Unless you are mechanically inclined, I would recommend looking into an aftermarket warranty of sorts. The carfax on my 04 Ext came back clean with service reports from the dealer on a regular basis for maintence. Since I bought it in April, I've had it for service twice and have had the following replaced/repaired

Left and right front hubs
Air ride compressor
Breaks all around
Driver and passenger window regulators
Power steering pump
AC compressor
Front diff
Transfer case
Rear diff

All of these were covered under the aftermarket warranty I bought except the belts and breaks. Outside of the warranty cost, I am out of pocket $200 for the covered repairs. And all work was done at a Chevy dealer and with factory GM parts. The company did not send an adjuster out for a single repair review.

The warranty costed me $2200 and I made monthly payments. If I didn't have the warranty I most defiantly would have been a pinch to get the repairs done.

If you do get a warranty make sure you do your research and get one that is comprehensive and has a good reputation. I bought the one from Carchex and have been very happy with it.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I looked at mine before I got it and it showed pretty much the same things maybe a few more
I had my local dealer pull up the service history and it showed a few more things that the carfax report shoed but the carfax was right about the first owner as my truck used to be a rental and most of it was spot on with the dealer history.

90limited
12-07-12, 08:02 PM
Well I guess everything happens for a reason. The dealer with the 04 never called back, so I kept looking. Found a nice 03 in southern TN with good records. Made a deal for less than the Cleveland 04 and should have much less worries over rust. I am picking her up on Tuesday. Wish me luck.

the cadillac man
12-07-12, 10:28 PM
Well I guess everything happens for a reason. The dealer with the 04 never called back, so I kept looking. Found a nice 03 in southern TN with good records. Made a deal for less than the Cleveland 04 and should have much less worries over rust. I am picking her up on Tuesday. Wish me luck.

I hope you can get it good luck I live in northern Tennessee so I know that it shouldn't have any problems with rust