: "New" 2009 with less than 3,000 miles

Eltee
12-06-12, 09:58 AM
We'll be getting a 2009 STS AWD V6(1SB non-Nav) from family in a couple days. The car has 2700 miles on the clock! (That's 27 hundred, not thousand).

Has less than 2 months left on the 4 year warranty.

Any typical problems that you all have seen that I should check out before the warranty expires? It's had a couple oil changes simply due to time, other than that I don't know.

Also, I've never been much a fan of extended warranties, but it seems that it might make sense to get one for at least a couple years since anything could happen in the next few thousand miles since it basically has never been driven. GMPP gets me 3 years for about $1500, seems like a half way decent price.

Anway, I'll be checking things out on the forum. First time Caddy owner. Looking forward to it!

1BadCadSTS
12-06-12, 10:01 AM
If you couldn't afford this car new get a warranty. Parts aren't cheap.

KRSTS
12-06-12, 11:18 AM
Go for the GMPP. I would get four years. You'll be surprised how fast they will go by.

Greg00coupe
12-07-12, 11:03 PM
I think it all depends on your philosphy regarding extended warranties and if you are enamored to go to the dealer all the time. There are a lot of alternatives which are cheaper. Contrary to many opinions there are alternatives to going the the dealer, there are qualified independent repair shops out there for any model. I mean there are Porsche and Ferrarri owners who find reputable independent shops. Call you local NAPP, they know who does reasonable great work. Even the click and clack boys have a referral network.

It amazes me what a rip off the dealer can be. Just bought a new GM car a few weeks back and even talking to them about their fees for a simple oil change is ashame.

BaTu
12-08-12, 09:32 AM
Costco has entered the extended warranty pool too. I liked their rates and coverage, pretty interesting,,, they're the only people that talked about covering my HUD - ACC - MagRide, Nav, that kind of stuff. And being a "Customer Oriented" philosophy kind of company, I think you'd be in a better position with them in the picture...

That being said, with your mileage, I might consider going without though. I mean, how long would you keep the car and how much mileage would You be putting on? The odds that you were going to have thousands of dollars of repairs (and that's what you'd be spending) in the first 30K/miles is pretty low.

Eltee
12-08-12, 01:20 PM
For those that responded positively, thanks for the info, it is appreciated. (First response: my ability to afford something has nothing to do with this)

Sounds like there probably are not some "usual" problems in the first few thousand miles. GMPP is actually one of the most cost competitive, probably because of the "no" miles on it.

cjmeyer
12-08-12, 04:12 PM
Go with the GMPP.These things cost a mint to get fixed when they break down.Enjoy your "new" STS