: Hey Guys, new to the forum and have some questions with my 2000 Catera

AmirX
12-06-12, 12:51 AM
Hey, I found this forum and was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few things on my 2000 Catera base.
I'm trying to get the car restored in terms of everything functioning and some cosmetic changes. I have some issues right now and I was wondering if you guys had any experience/similar problems with it.

First thing major is, I live in Texas, although it may be winter right now, it gets hot, and worst of all my AC has quit working. I'm pretty sure that the AC compressor has either stopped working or it has a leak in it. I had put a full can of freon, it worked for a few days, then quit on me so I'm pretty sure it's a leak. Would it be wise to get the OEM compressor? or a after market compressor?

Another issue I have is that, after an accident, some body repair had to be done, ever since that, my key locks in the ignition after I turn off the car, it won't let me take out my key, I have to actually turn it to the on position, shift to a different gear then go back into park, I then have to wait for a click noise to sound, and time it perfectly to remove the keys out from the ignition, if I'm off by a few seconds late, it gets locked, if I'm a few seconds early, it locks, it's pretty annoying and have no idea what would cause this, would it be something wrong up in the anti theft deterrent system? I have yet to hook it up to a scan tool, but I'm not sure if that would help find the issue with it.

Also some minor issues, the 12 disc CD changer in the back is jammed for me, when I open the tray it won't eject the cartridge like it's supposed to, the reset button didn't do much, and I can't seem to unhook the cable from the bottom of it.

I also can't see jack when I drive at night, the headlights are literally useless and turning on high beams only lets me see about six feet ahead of me. I've restored the headlights and shined them up, but it didn't help that much, I'm guessing it has to be re aimed, but I was wondering if there would be any HID headlight assemblies out there, I have the stock halogen ones, and would much prefer some nice new shiny looking HIDs.

Sorry for the long post and any help with any of these questions is much appreciated!
I'm looking forward to this forum! and bring out some more life in my Catera, only has 36k miles on it!

gvjv3
12-06-12, 01:23 PM
as far as your headlights, here,s what I did with the same problem, there are 2 parts to a headlight, inside core and the outside body, what happens is the inside core brakes and you can no longer aim you blub, take the blub cover off and grab the blub while its still plug in and move it up and down, if you can do this than the inside core is broken, a very common problem, what I did is cut a piece of wood, aim my light where I wanted and use the piece of wood as a wedge to keep it place, glue and tape it, then I got the highest super white blub I could used without burning everything about 7000K and it work and I can see again at night.

AmirX
12-06-12, 04:46 PM
as far as your headlights, here,s what I did with the same problem, there are 2 parts to a headlight, inside core and the outside body, what happens is the inside core brakes and you can no longer aim you blub, take the blub cover off and grab the blub while its still plug in and move it up and down, if you can do this than the inside core is broken, a very common problem, what I did is cut a piece of wood, aim my light where I wanted and use the piece of wood as a wedge to keep it place, glue and tape it, then I got the highest super white blub I could used without burning everything about 7000K and it work and I can see again at night.

You're exactly right, although only one of the headlights has the inside core lose, where did you wedge the piece of wood, inside the bulb socket? also did you upgrade all of the lights? or only those, if you did, what did you use for the foglights?

gvjv3
12-07-12, 02:37 AM
Yes if you look at the socket, and move it, you will see the gap between the outer frame and inter frame, you park the car so the headlights turn on hit a wall( garage door is one) grab the back of the socket and move it so the light is about 2-3 feet from the ground, put superglue on both sides of the wedge and put it below the socket in the gap, and then with a strip of duck tape to hole it in place, and you done and yes I replace all the lights with superwhite 6000K to 8000K blubs, foglights, tail lights marker lights, turn signal, you can fine many kinds on e-bay as I did,

----------

as far as you AC leaking, what I did is for the same price as freon, buy dye color freon, you will need a blacklite, after I use the dye and the AC stop working, I used the blacklite and saw the dye all around the rear of the compressor where the tubes go in and out, found out that there are rubber O ring gaskets were the tubes connect to the compressor and replace them and now no leak.

----------

do you see the CD changer has a pin hole, where you poke something small and pointy, you manually inject the tray, and follow the wire from the cd changer to the rear of the trunk there is a connection to another wire you can unconnected there

----------

don't know much about the key thing, I know there is a senor inside the stick shift just under or below the stick it self, it senors when your in park and send a signal to you key socket to release the key, sorry thats all I know.

AmirX
12-08-12, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all of the help!, just as a note, the right headlight should be a bit higher than the left one, so I don't blind oncomming traffic?
The blue dye freon is actually a great idea, haven't thought of that!
for the CD changer, I've tried hitting the reset button, no luck, I've tried to pull out the cable but I couldn't figure how, and I didn't want to break it.
As far as the key locking issue, I think that could definitely be a cause, if I lift up the leather boot on the shifter, do you know what I should look for?

Thanks again!