: Steering Noise

steve gribble
12-06-12, 12:04 AM
Have 2010 srx. It was below freezing this weekend. Started car turned steering wheel and heard grinding noise. Did it in both directions. When temps got warmer it stopped. Same thing next day. Sunday temps above 40 no grinding noise. Has anyone experienced this

kanundrum
12-06-12, 01:08 AM
I have this too and had the dealer check this out, I thought it was power steering related but they say its the bushings in the struts that need to be replaced apparently.

steve gribble
12-06-12, 08:35 AM
I'm going to call the dealership today. I only have 37,000 miles on it and is still under warranty

Reao
12-06-12, 09:11 AM
The best idea! If warranty is still with you just give this guys a job to solve your issue

GeeVee
12-06-12, 12:08 PM
My 2010 has the same thing. Will be taking it in soon to get checked out.

sube5186
12-07-12, 01:57 PM
This is a known issue. I had the exact same symptoms myself. I provided the dealer with the following info and it was repaired as per Service Bulletin. Just give them this info. They should be aware of the problem.

2010 - 2011 SRX

Symptom: Scraping noise from front end while turning steering wheel in cold ambient temperatures

Repair: Install new front strut mounts by following updated service replacement procedures found in SI

Service Bulletin Number PI0368

I emphasized the statement above because that always seems to have been the pattern with me in the past. I find out what's wrong with the vehicle and what repair needs to be done. They do the repairs. Isn't that somewhat ass backwards? I thought it was their job to find out what's wrong and my job to enjoy driving the car. Maybe they would have eventually found the same service bulletin I did, but I wasn't taking a chance on that. It's amazing how I can diagnose my own car via a simple Internet search. Yet these Service Bulletins seem to be some kind of perplexing mystery to those tasked with repairing our cars.

Sube

beachcad
12-07-12, 04:14 PM
Yet these Service Bulletins seem to be some kind of perplexing mystery to those tasked with repairing our cars.

Sube

More perplexing is that these repairs are manufacturer reimbursed - guaranteed income for the service department!

stevec5375
12-07-12, 08:12 PM
My SRX only has 18K miles on it and until one cold morning I had not heard noise coming from the front end when steering. However, I think I may finally be plagued by this. I'm always wondering what is going to be next with this SRX. Thanks for the timely posting Sube.

sube5186
12-07-12, 08:28 PM
My SRX only has 18K miles on it and until one cold morning I had not heard noise coming from the front end when steering. However, I think I may finally be plagued by this. I'm always wondering what is going to be next with this SRX. Thanks for the timely posting Sube.

Steve, unfortunately, I've learned this the hard way. If there's a widespread problem with the SRX and you haven't experienced it yet, it's just a matter of time before you do. It's the price we pay for being beta testers. I sat around waiting and watching for my chrome strips to fall off. When it didn't happen I thought I'd dodged a bullet. Then, went out in the garage one day and sure enough it had happened. The good part is, I think we've finally discovered all of the first model year defects. From here on out it's smooth sailing.....until the 3rd generation SRX is released. :bouncy:

Sube

stevec5375
12-08-12, 12:51 PM
Steve, unfortunately, I've learned this the hard way. If there's a widespread problem with the SRX and you haven't experienced it yet, it's just a matter of time before you do. It's the price we pay for being beta testers. I sat around waiting and watching for my chrome strips to fall off. When it didn't happen I thought I'd dodged a bullet. Then, went out in the garage one day and sure enough it had happened. The good part is, I think we've finally discovered all of the first model year defects. From here on out it's smooth sailing.....until the 3rd generation SRX is released. :bouncy:

Sube

Sube,

As I've said too many times, this will be the last time I buy a first generation vehicle. As I read about the problems with CUE, it just reaffirms my belief that I knew there were going to be issues with it. I wouldn't dare buy a 2013 with CUE first generation. I hope those who have get their issues resolved with a minimum of fuss and hassle. But my experience with dealership technologists has been less than stellar.

Steve

GeeVee
12-08-12, 03:12 PM
Sube, thanks very much for the above information. I will be taking mine in early next week for repair

cadigirlchicago2
12-19-12, 02:06 PM
Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I have been here - so I had the service bulletin work done for the grinding noise and it was quiet all last winter but now.....it's back! Wondering if anyone who had the warranty work completed is having problems again? I am out of warranty coverage and didn't purchase extended. Just wondering if I even need to pursue this or if it's just a harmless issue overall? If it's a safety issue, I'll push is further since they clearly didn't fix it right the 1st time. So annoying.

stevec5375
12-19-12, 09:18 PM
Have you ever noticed how everything starts to break the minute your warranty expires?

I had my car make it all the way to 18K before that grinding noise started, but we don't have Chicago winters down here in Austin either. In any event, mine's been in the shop since Monday for that grinding noise. They warned me there would be quite a wait but I have a loaner so who cares. I'll put miles on their car! :)

cadigirlchicago2
12-19-12, 10:23 PM
Have you ever noticed how everything starts to break the minute your warranty expires?

I had my car make it all the way to 18K before that grinding noise started, but we don't have Chicago winters down here in Austin either. In any event, mine's been in the shop since Monday for that grinding noise. They warned me there would be quite a wait but I have a loaner so who cares. I'll put miles on their car! :)

Seems to always be the way. I do think that since it's the same known issue that they attempted to fix while it was under warranty, they must be obligated to fix it again at no cost. I'd have to look into it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-20-12, 03:44 PM

Steve, thank you for keeping the thread updated with your progress. I'm very sorry to hear your SRX is back in the shop, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like me to call your dealer at any time to check on your vehicle's status. (My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I have been here - so I had the service bulletin work done for the grinding noise and it was quiet all last winter but now.....it's back! Wondering if anyone who had the warranty work completed is having problems again? I am out of warranty coverage and didn't purchase extended. Just wondering if I even need to pursue this or if it's just a harmless issue overall? If it's a safety issue, I'll push is further since they clearly didn't fix it right the 1st time. So annoying.

I can definitely understand your frustration, cadigirlchicago2. I do recommend consulting with your dealership regarding your persistent concerns, and if you would also like me to contact your dealer I'm happy to do so at any point.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

ATC
12-20-12, 04:42 PM
Steve, thank you for keeping the thread updated with your progress. I'm very sorry to hear your SRX is back in the shop, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like me to call your dealer at any time to check on your vehicle's status. (My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)

I can definitely understand your frustration, cadigirlchicago2. I do recommend consulting with your dealership regarding your persistent concerns, and if you would also like me to contact your dealer I'm happy to do so at any point.

Best,

Katie

Katie,

Thanks for being on this forum. This kind of service may sway me to a SRX over the Audi I'm also looking at!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-21-12, 10:20 AM
Katie,
Thanks for being on this forum. This kind of service may sway me to a SRX over the Audi I'm also looking at!

Thank you, ATC! I'm definitely happy to assist if you have any Cadillac questions while you shop, and I'm here to locate vehicles near you or contact any dealers if you wish. While I don't work this weekend, I will be in the office Monday, December 26th and will be sure to check my emails then.

Best,

Katie

stevec5375
12-21-12, 06:38 PM
Katie,

I wish you had been on here back when the 2010 model came out. We sure could have used your help back then.

I hope all these issues that are posted on here are making it to the eyes and ears of someone at GM who can do something about quality control.

stevec5375
12-23-12, 09:43 AM
My saga of the front struts grinding noise:

1. Made an appt. with the dealer to take the car in which included securing a loaner.

2. Gave the dealership the following info upon arrival:
2010 - 2011 SRX

Symptom: Scraping noise from front end while turning steering wheel in cold ambient temperatures

Repair: Install new front strut mounts by following updated service replacement procedures found in SI

3. Wait for 4 days to hear back from them.

4. Was told that both front struts were replaced.

So far, no more grinding noise. What's interesting is that they had to replace the entire struts instead of just the mounts as directed by the service bulletin. But i'm not complaining since it fixed my problem AND I got new struts out of the fix.

kanundrum
12-23-12, 11:27 AM
I am going to be keeping my noise until I feel my struts going, after all no warranty work done on the Saab 9-4x even though its the same parts etc

I wish I could get warranty on the parts, I wouldn't mind handling the labor :)

sube5186
12-23-12, 12:10 PM
It's my opinion that all of these "known issues" should be repaired at no cost even if the vehicle is out of warranty. The reason I say this is because these should have been "recalls" in the first place. They know the parts are defective and subject to fail sometime in the future. They're not replacing parts with the same parts. The fact that they're replacing parts with "re-designed" parts is proof of a defective initial design. They'll never be classified as recalls for two reasons. First, in the auto industry "recall" is a dirty word. It results in negative publicity, which directly impacts sales. Second, it would require them to foot the cost of repairs. This is like having a ticking time bomb. You know it's going to go off. You just don't know when. What about the cars that are owned and operated in warm climate states, only to be sold years later to customers who live in cold weather states? These vehicles won't exhibit symptoms for years. Of course, by then they'll be out of warranty.

Personally, I'd have more respect for GM is they'd be proactive instead of reactive. Why put the customer through this aggravation? They could be replacing these parts during routine maintenance visits.

Sube

kanundrum
12-23-12, 12:21 PM
It's my opinion that all of these "known issues" should be repaired at no cost even if the vehicle is out of warranty. The reason I say this is because these should have been "recalls" in the first place. They know the parts are defective and subject to fail sometime in the future. They're not replacing parts with the same parts. The fact that they're replacing parts with "re-designed" parts is proof of a defective initial design. They'll never be classified as recalls for two reasons. First, in the auto industry "recall" is a dirty word. It results in negative publicity, which directly impacts sales. Second, it would require them to foot the cost of repairs. This is like having a ticking time bomb. You know it's going to go off. You just don't know when. What about the cars that are owned and operated in warm climate states, only to be sold years later to customers who live in cold weather states? These vehicles won't exhibit symptoms for years. Of course, by then they'll be out of warranty.

Personally, I'd have more respect for GM is they'd be proactive instead of reactive. Why put the customer through this aggravation? They could be replacing these parts during routine maintenance visits.

Sube

Much agreed I was very upset that my car (that has 14,000 miles) started exhibiting these symptoms when the weather turned cold. I have dealt with a lot of suspension issues before but this takes the cake, something so Brand New that has issues with cold weather. Makes you wonder if they really did proper cold weather testing (or even weather testing as my Sunroof did leak another common issue with SRX/9-4x)[COLOR="Silver"]

stevec5375
12-23-12, 05:58 PM
Much agreed I was very upset that my car (that has 14,000 miles) started exhibiting these symptoms when the weather turned cold. I have dealt with a lot of suspension issues before but this takes the cake, something so Brand New that has issues with cold weather. Makes you wonder if they really did proper cold weather testing (or even weather testing as my Sunroof did leak another common issue with SRX/9-4x)[COLOR="Silver"]

This grinding noise issue is indeed a strange one. People who live in the colder climate areas were complaining about this within the first year they owned the car when the ambient temperature dropped. I'm almost to year 3 of my SRX and it just showed up this year when the temp. dropped to 27 degrees one morning. It could also be mileage AND temp. related. Since I only have 18K miles on my car after almost 3 years, I am obviously not the average driver.

2012SRX
12-28-12, 05:08 AM

I live in the Dallas area and on Christmas day we had snow & 22 degree weather. Car is usually in the garage but that day it was outside a couple of hours. when I started it and turned the steering wheel, I heard the grinding noise. Lasted even after it sat in the garage that night, until about 4pm on 12/26, when the noise went away. Took it to the Grapevine dealer at 7:30 12/27, and before I could finish describing the problem, the service writer explained that he had written many 2010/2011s over the past couple of years, but none for a 2012. Probably in our area due to the fact that this was the first real cold since I bought the car in 8/11 (one of the first 2012s). Current mileage 13,100. He also said the upper strut mounting part has been "redesigned," but he did not determine if mine had the new part. Gave me a 2012 SRX to drive and called at 11:30 telling me the upper strut mounts were replaced. He said they never have had to replace the whole strut on any of the 2010/2011s. Excellent dealer...

Caddymangg
12-28-12, 07:15 AM
I'm glad you posted this. Both times it snowed In New York and I've had the same problems. I'll schedule my maintenance next week.

Huey Driver
12-28-12, 09:45 AM
I have possibly had this noise on my '12, but I wouldnt exactly call it a grinding. I'd call it normal 'cold seals' noise of fluid getting moving. I noticed when it was below 30, but it went away almost immediately. I normally put my car in a garage overnight, but left it out that night. I have a very early '12, purchased off the dealer lot in Oct '12, but I dont know the build date off the top of my head.
I may mention, the next time I am in, but my question is other than the slight irritation with the noise, what is the problem here? What happens if I just live with the 2-3 times a year I get 'the noise'? Without looking at the suspension, it seems this is just the strut cartridge twisting in cold rubber (or some other compound). That, to me, while not desirable, isnt too far out of the ordinary.
Anyone been told what the problem is, especially in light of the fact that there doesnt seem to be a safety issue.

TheCaptain
12-28-12, 11:00 AM
It's unnerving when your steering grinds/vibrates when turning. Problem or not. Sorry huey.

Huey Driver
12-28-12, 12:39 PM
Agreed, Cap'n. Thats kinda why I said I didnt know if what I noticed was the same as those with '10s and '11s... Mine went away immediately, and only did it while sitting still in the driveway, ie, when I started it, shifted to reverse and turned the wheel to back out of the driveway. Once moving, I didnt notice anything.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-29-12, 08:49 PM
Glad that your visit to the dealership went so smoothly, 2012SRX.

If anybody would like for us to help you get a concern checked into by your dealership (we can get the appointment set up for you, follow up afterwards, etc), please contact us either on the forum by private message or email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

kanundrum
01-02-13, 11:53 AM
Glad that your visit to the dealership went so smoothly, 2012SRX.

If anybody would like for us to help you get a concern checked into by your dealership (we can get the appointment set up for you, follow up afterwards, etc), please contact us either on the forum by private message or email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Katie

I will send you an e-mail about my 9-4x even though its a Saab and I know the whole warranty issue is up in the air maybe you can help out since this is a common issue amongst owners of this platform.

kanundrum
01-02-13, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the E-mail Katie. I guess since its a Saab I am on my own despite the parts and the quality control issue being the same.

Oh well.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-03-13, 01:14 PM
Wish I had different answers to provide, kanundrum! Apologies! Since GM had no involvement in the sale and marketing of 2010MY and newer Saab vehicles in the United States, GM has no warranty or other insight with respect to those vehicles. We do recommend vehicle concerns be addressed with Saab Cars North America, though!

Katie

kanundrum
01-05-13, 05:23 PM
Same parts though :P haha Thanks again

farinacci
01-16-13, 02:41 PM
I just had my 2010 in yesterday for its second set of upper strut mounts. I had them replaced the spring of 2011 due to GM redesigning the part and then last year the winter here in MN was so warm that every time I brought it in they couldnt hear it and said that I already had the updated mounts in and it couldnt be that. Well they were wrong it was the mounts again. Hopefully that is the last set I will need until I trade her in!

kanundrum
01-16-13, 04:33 PM
Im just going to wait until they become more of an issue than noise and then just rebuild them my self.

Maximumkk
01-18-13, 02:32 PM
I had the same issue on my 2008 Torrent GXP. Two years into it, had the bushings replaced under warranty. Now out of warranty, and noticed it making niose again. Out of warranty now. Made it three years this time.

Max

gary2381
01-24-13, 04:43 PM
Are service bulletins repaired free of charge even if your vehicle is out of warranty?

adamjeeps
01-24-13, 05:50 PM
No. You can beg and see what happens.

Dave3727
01-27-13, 08:12 PM
I have a 2012 only 4300 miles same issue with noise in the steering. They replaced struts and now it makes more noise than it did before they replaced the struts. Its going back Monday. See what happens this go around. Been in 3 times for rear hatch rattling and dash information center reading backwards. Hope this time its fixed right.

jcarlilesiu
01-28-13, 12:38 PM
I am having the same issue on my 2010.

I took Sube's TSB number to the dealer, described the problem, and they decieded to chance some steering shaft component. Huh? Alright.

A few weeks later, I brought the car back in because I was hearing a squeaking/grinding noise when going over speed bumps in cold ambient temperature. I was still hearing the grinding noise from turning the wheel, and thought they might be related, so I held off on calling back.

The car went back in last week and they changed the bushings due to the sound going over bumps. Yay! Got in the car, freezing outside, no noise. Good news.

Bad news. The wheel grinding noise is still there. The dealership says they can't hear anything (because its warm by the time I get there) and I might have to leave it over night so they can verify.

Why can't they just replace the parts as outlined in the TSB?

300:29:1
01-28-13, 08:49 PM
I have recently discovered this "creaking/ticking" noise in colder temps when I first start driving. It disappears rather quickly after driving a very short distance. I hope it doesn't get any worse. My 2012 SRX Luxury has 3300 miles on the odo. I purchased it new in July 2012.

stevec5375
01-29-13, 07:13 PM
I have recently discovered this "creaking/ticking" noise in colder temps when I first start driving. It disappears rather quickly after driving a very short distance. I hope it doesn't get any worse. My 2012 SRX Luxury has 3300 miles on the odo. I purchased it new in July 2012.

I'll be curious to find out if you end up having to have the strut mounts replaced like the 2010. If so, that pretty much says it all about this crossover. If GM still has the same problem occurring 3 years later then they have learned nothing. I, on the other hand, have learned a lot from the Caddy fiasco. Never again.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-29-13, 09:19 PM
Dave3727,
Any updates from your visit today?

jcarlilesiu,
Did you end up having to leave your vehicle at the dealer over night?

----------

300:29:1 - We don't' want to leave you out! Are you thinking you want to get this checked out, or are you going to wait on it for a while?

Sarah, Assisting Katie, Cadillac Customer Service

kanundrum
01-29-13, 09:53 PM
Cadd Customer Service, Can you post the latest part #'s for the 2.8t Suspension? When I replace mine I want to make sure I am getting the latest revision.

DTurmel
01-29-13, 10:42 PM
I'll be curious to find out if you end up having to have the strut mounts replaced like the 2010. If so, that pretty much says it all about this crossover. If GM still has the same problem occurring 3 years later then they have learned nothing. I, on the other hand, have learned a lot from the Caddy fiasco. Never again.

I am curious as well to know the outcomes ...will say a lot about what Cadillac does about recurring problems....my 2012 is under 3000Km and is still problem free so I am touching wood....I deliberately waited for the SRX to " mature " before buying.... my previous car was a nightmare .. I will not even bother mentioning the brand....I think each brand have their share of issues no matter what ... What makes the difference is how the dealership / manufacturer deals with it....I like this forum for this purpose..

jcarlilesiu
01-30-13, 12:15 PM
jcarlilesiu,
Did you end up having to leave your vehicle at the dealer over night?

Sarah, Assisting Katie, Cadillac Customer Service

Not yet, the temperatures warmed back up in Chicago, so I don't know if the noise is still there or not. They should dip back down later this week and I will have a chance to listen for the sound.

My concern is, I am running out of cold weather, and warranty. My goal was to get this all fixed before the warranty expires, but because it needs to be cold out to replicate the issue, I am concerned that if the repair isn't identified and fixed before spring I won't get another winter under warranty to address the problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-30-13, 01:08 PM
Cadd Customer Service, Can you post the latest part #'s for the 2.8t Suspension? When I replace mine I want to make sure I am getting the latest revision.

We actually recommend getting in touch with your dealership to discuss this, kanundrum. Or, if you prefer we contact them to ask on your behalf, please let me know! In order for me to contact your dealer, I would need to collect a few more personal details for you; so, please email me again if you would like to pursue that option.

Best,

Katie

Dave3727
01-30-13, 10:06 PM
Katie, the car is still at dealer. They drove it yesterday and called and said there is no noise. They kept it overnight and drove it this morning and called and said yes we detect the noise. I sent it for grinding noise when you turn it left or right a week ago, they put new struts on it and said its fixed. I received it, drove it for a weekend and it now squeaks and still grinds. The squeaks came after the new struts. Not real happy with car at this point.

kanundrum
01-31-13, 02:29 AM
Thanks I will let you know. I may just ride it out until the spring time as this is not a safety issue more of an annoyance issue.

We actually recommend getting in touch with your dealership to discuss this, kanundrum. Or, if you prefer we contact them to ask on your behalf, please let me know! In order for me to contact your dealer, I would need to collect a few more personal details for you; so, please email me again if you would like to pursue that option.

Best,

Katie

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-31-13, 11:13 AM
Katie, the car is still at dealer. They drove it yesterday and called and said there is no noise. They kept it overnight and drove it this morning and called and said yes we detect the noise. I sent it for grinding noise when you turn it left or right a week ago, they put new struts on it and said its fixed. I received it, drove it for a weekend and it now squeaks and still grinds. The squeaks came after the new struts. Not real happy with car at this point.

Dave, I can definitely appreciate and can understand your frustration with your experience so far. At your convenience, would you please email me with the last eight of your VIN? (I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.) Then I can explore your best next steps with you.

Best,

Katie

TRARON
02-06-13, 06:00 PM
Had my 2010 SRX in an Airport lot for a few days in very cold weather. When I left the airport and went over speed bumps (slowly) the front suspension made a terrible growning noise. After leaving it in the garage over night the problem went away. Does anyone know if this relates to the steering issue?

TheCaptain
02-07-13, 07:39 AM
No traron, this sounds like the same issue my SRX had. The dealer took a while to get it right, but they fixed it, and it is a suspension component not related to steering. (I'd have to look at my service book to remember which part they replaced to solve it though.)

TRARON
02-07-13, 01:25 PM
Captain - that would be great if you could let me know. I think our vehicles were built around the same time when we joined this forum. You know sometimes these type of issues can be trial and a lot of error and it can be frustrating. I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Dave3727
02-08-13, 11:12 PM
Mine has been in the shop for two weeks now for squeaking and grinding noise. Called yesterday and they said there ordering the newer version of front struts. Wait and see what happens. Don't know why its taking this long to get parts.

DTurmel
02-08-13, 11:31 PM
Mine has been in the shop for two weeks now for squeaking and grinding noise. Called yesterday and they said there ordering the newer version of front struts. Wait and see what happens. Don't know why its taking this long to get parts.

Which year is your car?

Dave3727
02-09-13, 07:47 PM
2012 DTurmel.

DTurmel
02-10-13, 12:07 AM
2012 DTurmel.

Hi Dave....thanks for the response.....does this mean that the SRX has the same strut mount issue for the past 3 years ??? That would be disappointing.

stevec5375
02-10-13, 09:50 AM
Hi Dave....thanks for the response.....does this mean that the SRX has the same strut mount issue for the past 3 years ??? That would be disappointing.

If this turns out to be the case, and it's likely, that seals the deal for me. Won't be buying another Caddy.

TheCaptain
02-10-13, 10:30 AM
Captain - that would be great if you could let me know. I think our vehicles were built around the same time when we joined this forum. You know sometimes these type of issues can be trial and a lot of error and it can be frustrating. I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Hey Traron, the very last component the dealer replaced to remove the squeak was the front stabalizer bar. The new one's paint and bushings don't squeak now when it gets cold and it moves.

kanundrum
02-10-13, 05:24 PM

When you do get the car back can you post up the part #'s

thanks

Dave3727
02-10-13, 06:01 PM
Will do If she knew what she was talking about. Hope they don't sneak another set of the same part number. I've been driving the loaner, a 2013 SRX with 2500 miles on it. There is no squeaks or grinds and the temps have been 35 degrees and lower. So it doesn't seem to have the same issue.

stevec5375
02-10-13, 08:37 PM
Will do If she knew what she was talking about. Hope they don't sneak another set of the same part number. I've been driving the loaner, a 2013 SRX with 2500 miles on it. There is no squeaks or grinds and the temps have been 35 degrees and lower. So it doesn't seem to have the same issue.

It doesn't have the same issue "YET". Mine didn't have the problem until I hit 18K miles (2010 premium).

TRARON
02-10-13, 09:21 PM
Thanks Captain I am going to make an appointment and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Dave3727
02-11-13, 07:13 PM
Stopped by the dealer today and was told the struts where in. I asked if these were the same as they have been using? They told me its a completely new strut and they will probably be a recall issued. I was also informed that this is the forth change in design on the struts. I think I would fire that engineer by this point.

adamjeeps
02-11-13, 08:22 PM
Stopped by the dealer today and was told the struts where in. I asked if these were the same as they have been using? They told me its a completely new strut and they will probably be a recall issued. I was also informed that this is the forth change in design on the struts. I think I would fire that engineer by this point.

A recall would indicate a safety hazard with the struts. Do you have a part number on the new struts?

classiccars
02-12-13, 08:48 AM
My wife took her 2012 in for service yesterday. (Noise in front end when cold.)
Ordered parts: "Upper Mounts" BUT, they said they are on national backorder. No sure on the time frame for that.

Dave3727
02-12-13, 10:05 PM
Not yet but when I pick the car up I will update if the part numbers are on the invoice.

Dave3727
02-13-13, 10:31 PM
Well I received the car back today. Good news no noise so for. Bad news is looks like they put the same part number on it again. Not a new upgraded part as was told so this is the part no# they used both times 22918669. See what happens.

adamjeeps
02-13-13, 11:50 PM
Well I received the car back today. Good news no noise so for. Bad news is looks like they put the same part number on it again. Not a new upgraded part as was told so this is the part no# they used both times 22918669. See what happens.

Thank you for the info, and good luck on the fix.

TRARON
02-21-13, 08:48 PM
The part number for the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator (bushing) is 22741853 in case anyone is having front end noise in cold weather when going over bumps. This could be the cause of the problem. Thanks Captain for your assistance. Had mine replaced today.

kanundrum
02-23-13, 11:53 AM
Thanks!

DTurmel
02-24-13, 10:10 PM
The part number for the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator (bushing) is 22741853 in case anyone is having front end noise in cold weather when going over bumps. This could be the cause of the problem. Thanks Captain for your assistance. Had mine replaced today.

Thank you for sharing this....that is why I like this forum.

mfdoc911
02-26-13, 01:51 PM
My wifes 2011 SRX has been to Permian Cadillac 5 times in the last few months for this issue Last wekk they supposedly finally repaired it per the above service bulletin. This morning 250 miles away as she entered the interstate the car began to make loud grinding and popping noisesand the steering became unstable. She is now behind a wrecker in route to the local cadillac dealer. This will be the 6th time it has been in and it has escalated from a nusiance to a safety issue. CADILLAC SERVICE SUCKS

stevec5375
02-27-13, 07:22 PM
My wifes 2011 SRX has been to Permian Cadillac 5 times in the last few months for this issue Last wekk they supposedly finally repaired it per the above service bulletin. This morning 250 miles away as she entered the interstate the car began to make loud grinding and popping noisesand the steering became unstable. She is now behind a wrecker in route to the local cadillac dealer. This will be the 6th time it has been in and it has escalated from a nusiance to a safety issue. CADILLAC SERVICE SUCKS

You realize that in most states if you have the car in the shop for the same problem more than 3 times, you can file under the Lemon Law?

TRARON
11-14-13, 11:46 AM
My 2010 SRX was in a lot overnight during the first cold spell this year and experienced the grinding when turning noise for the first time. Has the Strut replacement fix worked for this issue?

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-14-13, 04:44 PM
My 2010 SRX was in a lot overnight during the first cold spell this year and experienced the grinding when turning noise for the first time. Has the Strut replacement fix worked for this issue?

Hello TRAFON,

I apologize that you are experiencing this grinding noise when you are turning in your SRX. I do see that you are reaching out to the community for advice and suggestions. If you plan on taking your vehicle into your dealership to address this concern, please feel free to reach out to us via private message so I can assist you in working with the dealership. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Hello mfdoc911,

I apologize that your wife’s SRX was in for service multiple times. I completely understand how frustrating reoccurring issues can be. Was this issue resolved? Did you ever reach out to our Customer Care team so we could create a file for the concerns you were experiencing?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

kanundrum
11-27-13, 11:06 AM
Can someone post up any recent TSB done to their SRX for this issue ? I want to make sure part #'s are correct when I go get mine done. I wanted to know if I can get better components that ones that are available as well directly from Cadillac (like a 2013 model) etc.

etexlady
11-29-13, 06:01 PM
I notice folks are describing this problem as a "grinding" noise in the front during colder weather. I'm wondering if my 2011 luxury (22000 miles) has the problem. I recently started hearing what I would call a "creaking" noise when I turn the steering wheel on cold mornings. The sound goes away after a few miles and, I suppose, when the car warms up somewhat. My dealership is reluctant to do anything on my car unless they can replicate it on the spot so it might be a struggle to get them to hear and fix it. Does anyone know if there has been a recall or service bulletin issued that I can reference when I take it in?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-03-13, 04:08 PM
I notice folks are describing this problem as a "grinding" noise in the front during colder weather. I'm wondering if my 2011 luxury (22000 miles) has the problem. I recently started hearing what I would call a "creaking" noise when I turn the steering wheel on cold mornings. The sound goes away after a few miles and, I suppose, when the car warms up somewhat. My dealership is reluctant to do anything on my car unless they can replicate it on the spot so it might be a struggle to get them to hear and fix it. Does anyone know if there has been a recall or service bulletin issued that I can reference when I take it in?
Hello etexlady,

I apologize that you are experiencing this grinding noise with your SRX when you are turning the wheel in cold weather. Have you informed your dealership that this only happens in colder weather and at a cold start? I would be sure to mention that so that they have the best chance to duplicate the concern. Please keep us updated when you take your vehicle in and if you would like me to contact the dealership on your behalf as well, please feel free to private message me. I will be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

stevec5375
12-03-13, 05:05 PM
Here's your answer:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/276281-steering-noise.html#post3160786

I would like to invite you to visit one of the "Sticky" threads at the top of forum entitled "How to Goggle Search only this forum". I used the procedure and the search phrase "steering noise". It turned up a lot of posts in this forum relating to your problem.

Note: The above URL takes you to a post in THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

etexlady
12-03-13, 06:07 PM
Forgive me, Steve, for submitting a post that apparently has irritated you. I know how to search and I did read this thread and some others before I posted.

stevec5375
12-03-13, 06:19 PM
Forgive me, Steve, for submitting a post that apparently has irritated you. I know how to search and I did read this thread and some others before I posted.

I'm not irritated. I was just trying to be helpful. Why does everybody always take me the wrong way?

I hope at the very least your question was answered satisfactorily. :)

Huey Driver
12-18-13, 07:52 PM
I'll mention here, even though I posted in another thread (in case anyone is monitoring this thread).
My dealer just replaced my strut mounts, and they SAID the struts as well (but thats not part of the problem) on a very early 2012. My build date was Aug 27, 2011 and I know there was some question about whether the issue may have extended into the 2012 MY. Dont take your '12 in if it isnt having a problem. To me, the NOISE was very easy to live with. I just wasnt sure if there was any excessive wear to the bushings/mounts, so I mentioned it (was in for other service anyway) and they took care of it...

retcad
12-20-13, 01:42 PM
I noticed the noise recently on my 2010 during single digit temps and snow here in Mass. Later in the day when the temp rises to non-Arctic levels, the noise disappears. It's not loud at all, but I can hear a slight groan when making hard turns. I'm not gonna worry about it, as all my previous vehicles made strange noises occasionally in sever temps, including the driver!

kanundrum
01-07-14, 05:34 PM
What is the Service Campaign for this ?

Is this correct?

Can someone Post their New Part #'s for the actual Strut Replacement as well

laurajolynn
03-06-14, 11:22 PM
Permian Cadillac in Hobbs, NM? That is where my 2010 came from also, and I have had my car in at least 4 times since we bought it in September. Same issue. They say they can't replicate it, and won't do anything. Taking it again tomorrow, armed with service bulletin numbers!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-07-14, 11:56 AM
Permian Cadillac in Hobbs, NM? That is where my 2010 came from also, and I have had my car in at least 4 times since we bought it in September. Same issue. They say they can't replicate it, and won't do anything. Taking it again tomorrow, armed with service bulletin numbers!

Hi laurajolynn,

I am sorry that you have experienced these issues with your Cadillac and have been unsuccessful in your attempts to resolve them with the dealer. I know you are taking it in again shortly, but if you would like I can research this issue from my end and collaborate with the dealer. Please send me a PM with your VIN and contact information if you are interested. If a PM does not work, email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “Attention: Austin” in the subject line.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

Lencarguy
03-07-14, 12:02 PM
Does the same service bulletin cover 2012 model year? Mine has been doing the same thing in the cold weather and I just came across this.

stevec5375
03-07-14, 06:35 PM
Does the same service bulletin cover 2012 model year? Mine has been doing the same thing in the cold weather and I just came across this.

I'm amazed that this problem surfaced early on in the 2010 model and is still around for the 2012 model. What's up with that GM? (This would be one of those times when Caddy support should chime in with a logical explanation.)

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-08-14, 12:04 PM
Hello Lencarguy,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern as well. If you would like, I would be more than happy to contact your dealership and see if the service bulletin you are referencing would apply to your vehicle as well. Please feel free to private message me if you would like my assistance.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I'm amazed that this problem surfaced early on in the 2010 model and is still around for the 2012 model. What's up with that GM? (This would be one of those times when Caddy support should chime in with a logical explanation.)
Hello stevec5375,

Unfortunately, we don’t have access to what our engineers are working on. I will definitely document your feedback within our database though. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further questions or comments.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

TheCaptain
03-09-14, 10:22 AM
The irony of that comment, Greg, is that steve probably has you blocked...

Indy_Mike
03-10-14, 02:24 PM
I also have a noise in my steering in cold weather...I wouldn't call it a grinding noise it is more like a creaking noise (kind of like stepping on an old wooden floor) it goes away when the temps are above 40 or so. I mentioned it to my dealer at my last oil change and of course it was warm that day and no noise...he said I could bring it in when it was acting up and he would look at it. He supposedly looked at all suspension parts and couldn't fin any problem. I'm going to be a little upset if it turns out that this is the same problem that has plagued the 2010 and Cadillac has just ignored it!

Huey Driver
03-10-14, 04:45 PM
I had the issue on my 2012. No problems, just took it in and they fixed it.
I really didnt care. Its not a safety issue, doesnt cause any long term damage. Not really worth getting spun up about.
To be honest, if a few people experience the issue out of the hundreds of thousands of SRXs sold, it probably made more sense to deal with it on an individual basis. The vast majority of owners will never experience it. I would have just left it, once they assured me there was no safety/damage issue, but the dealer insisted on fixing it. And they went off my word I was experiencing it.

Problem is, these things hit the internet and you have everyone and their brother going in to ask for the fix even if they dont experience the problem.

stevec5375
03-10-14, 06:51 PM
I had the issue on my 2012. No problems, just took it in and they fixed it.
I really didnt care. Its not a safety issue, doesnt cause any long term damage. Not really worth getting spun up about.
To be honest, if a few people experience the issue out of the hundreds of thousands of SRXs sold, it probably made more sense to deal with it on an individual basis. The vast majority of owners will never experience it. I would have just left it, once they assured me there was no safety/damage issue, but the dealer insisted on fixing it. And they went off my word I was experiencing it.

Problem is, these things hit the internet and you have everyone and their brother going in to ask for the fix even if they dont experience the problem.

Why sit around and wait to you have the problem OUT OF WARRANTY. It's going to happen sooner or later if they used the same parts.

Huey Driver
03-12-14, 10:11 AM
My point was more you cant say that "its going to happen sooner or later". If you live in a warm climate, you wont experience it.
I agree that getting things fixed under warranty is a good idea. But if it aint broken, you cant fix it. And further, if it aint broke, and the dealer spends the money to "fix it", GM wont reimburse the dealer. My dealership told me that GM makes them return the cabin filters replaced under premium care.
I experienced the steering noise issue and like I said, they assured me it was a convenience issue, not something that would eventually cause a failure, but still asked me to bring it in so they could fix it.
The bigger comment was that people see things on the internet, and go in to their dealer demanding the fix even though they dont have the problem and it just causes bad blood when the bureaucracy steps in. Certainly, get it fixed if its broken, but you cant just always say "it will break some day" and demand that a perfect good part get replaced.
As for myself, I like to keep the messing to a minimum. Every bolt/fastener removed becomes a possible rattle years later...