: What makes Cadillac the best?

MattHatlee
12-05-12, 07:37 PM
So I am curious to see what you guys like about Cadillacs. What makes Cadillac (in your opinion) stick out and beat all other competition? I'm interested to see everyone's response!

AElayyat
12-05-12, 07:42 PM
To me it's the ride quality of the old big body caddys. Nothing like that float!

iwannaracecar
12-05-12, 07:59 PM
The Cadillac leather smell. And soft ride.

Jesda
12-05-12, 08:29 PM
Depends on the Cadillac. The brand has been up and down so many times its hard to say.

CadillacLuke24
12-05-12, 08:32 PM
Based off of my DeVille and my Dad's ESV, durability, dependability, power (especially V8 power :D), roominess, quality leather upholstery, smooth ride, and great build quality.

orconn
12-05-12, 09:00 PM
Occasionally Cadillac gets the styling right in a package that handles well, put together fairly well from decent materials and is reliable compared to the competition. I say "occasionally" because for me it has happened only a few times over the last forty years. I've had to fill in with European makes while waiting for Cadillac to come up with another winner. I have been very please when they do!

cadillac kevin
12-05-12, 09:31 PM
For me, it is the combination of styling, comfort, and ride. I agree with orconn that there have only been a few cars that have been excellent in these things and put together with good quality.

The-Dullahan
12-06-12, 01:08 AM
This.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/3413/3414093692_2c3f159f52.jpg

Obviously.

vincentm
12-06-12, 01:20 AM
This.

Obviously.
:yeah:

CadillacLuke24
12-06-12, 01:24 AM
This.

Obviously.

Is this the legendary '59 Superior?

talismandave
12-06-12, 01:29 AM
That is an extremely hard question to answer for me. For me it is more of like describing love, or why sex feels good. It just is what it is and when you feel it you know there is something really special here. Being born and raised in a time when Cadillacs were king, it is knowing you are in the presence of something special. I had that feeling in the day when they were new, and even more so today as classics.

greencadillacmatt
12-06-12, 03:40 AM
Because it feels like you are doing something special each and every time you get behind the wheel, no matter what you are doing.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/CaddyPics107.jpg

There's just a presence to them, especially the older ones. I think it's something you either get or you don't. :cool2:

Reao
12-06-12, 08:07 AM
Because Cadillac is not just have history, it MAKES History!

The-Dullahan
12-06-12, 08:52 AM
Is this the legendary '59 Superior?

Not my Mum's if that's what you mean. It is however 1 1959 Superior that is essentially identical with only a few slight differences. .

Hers is in Pennsylvania, under careful protection of my two sisters.

Because it feels like you are doing something special each and every time you get behind the wheel, no matter what you are doing.

Especially when you go three years without driving it. :hide:

GreaseMonkey
12-06-12, 09:03 AM
Overall, I would have to say styling. Even though there was a couple of decades where that really lacked. But going from the inception of the brand into the 50's, 60's, and current gen Cadillacs, styling wins.

Submariner409
12-06-12, 10:07 AM
When I was a teenager this, along with various Ford, Mercury, and Chevy models, is what we had to work with................This was a real Cadillac.......a 1949 fastback coupe. The gas cap is under the left tail light assembly - push the cat's eye and the whole assembly hinges upward.

orconn
12-06-12, 12:01 PM
^^^ An all time favorite of mine, Sub!

77CDV
12-06-12, 06:02 PM
It used to be the graceful yet imposing styling, quality materials and assembly, and broad range of choice in models and options that allowed one to create a semi-custom car from a standard regular production vehicle. Like Matt said, you felt like you were doing something special every time you got behind the wheel, even if you were only running down to the corner store or commuting into the office.

Now Cadillac's reputation seems to be built more and more on high performance, driver-oriented cars with as much styling distinction as the windtunnel and government regulations will allow. Since high performance is not a huge selling point for me, the marque's current offerings are of only passing interest.

MotownPimp
12-06-12, 06:36 PM
Enough reliability returned to Detroit cars for me to return to buying "Detroit" after 25 years of buying only Japanese products.

Styling, inside and out, of Coupe got my attention when I was looking for a replacement for my 350 Z. Driving comfort & performance have made me happy about choice.

Next question: can I stifle the urge to move up to the V Coupe! :tongue2: :drool2: :hmm:

02603sec
12-06-12, 07:15 PM
Cadillac has the best tradition. Hope they can hang on to it.

neuronbob
12-07-12, 10:30 PM
I am a newer, younger Cadillac buyer who came to the marque because of the V-series. These are IMHO the best Cadillacs because they literally take on the best of BMW, Audi, etc. I am a huge fan of Art and Science and have been since the Sixteen concept vehicle. I feel that Cadillac got things right with the current gen CTS....

Right design
Right engine (LSA of course)
Right handling
Right marketing
Just RIGHT.

As a result of these forums, though, I have been reading more about the classic Cadis, and finding them more intriguing. For example, that 1949 fastback coupe posted a few above my post is HOT. I'd drive that.

truckinman
12-08-12, 02:14 AM
I gotta say, a couple days ago the future wife and I test drove several 2010 cars. One of which a very low mile but fully optioned Lincoln MKZ. I love how these cars look in and out starring in 2010. Granted it's just a dressed up ford fusion, but this baby was dressed to have dinner with the president. Every single option available. Anyways I figured as fancy as it was and being 5 years and 70k miles newer than my STS, it just might drive as nice down the road. Also considering my STS is not only 5 years older but also a base model so not even Magnetic ride control. Yet this MKZ was optioned to the hilt

Well I could not believe just how much nicer my STS drove than the MKZ. Just the refinement alone. Smoother. Quieter. Just an all around more pleasurable car to drive, my STS. Aside from the awesome GPS system and the amazing THX certified sound in the MKZ. But hell, my non 5.1 bose sounded as good as the 5.1 THX in the 5 year newer car. Lol. I was just amazed.

That just shows how well these cadillacs are built IMHO. I'd like to test the MKS next just bc that's more on par with the STS anyway.

After that, I found myself re-falling in love with My STS like the day I bought it. Lol. Made my mind up that I'll prob just upgrade to a newer STS in a year or so. But this time I'm gonna find a fully optioned STS to buy. Lol. Made me that much more proud of my Cadillac!

CadillacLuke24
12-08-12, 03:43 PM
Time for a Northstar STS :D

truckinman
12-08-12, 04:33 PM
thats the plan Luke! :cheers:

EChas3
12-09-12, 12:25 AM
About 4 years ago, a used Cadillac STS provided more luxury features and V8 performance at less cost in distinctive style. I also prefer driving a domestic car. These cars have been a great value.

thebigjimsho
12-09-12, 01:59 AM
M5 performance at 60% the cost.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-09-12, 09:59 PM
as a automotive historian , for me it is what the brand has done over the years. from leyland and his blocks , to the v16 , the 46-59 styling , the front drive of the late 60s , the guts to go EFI in the 70s , the 8-6-4 of the 80s , the northstar of the 90s, and the v of now .....there was always something interesting about a caddy ....

but most of all for me , it is the sound of a caddy designed V8 that gets me. those days are now gone , replaced by the small block chevy , a failed caddy design that ed cole waved his wand over