: Rear Wiper Blade

rmoule
12-05-12, 03:18 PM
Has anyone tried to replace the rear wiper blade? The front ones were easy, but I'm not sure how to remove that plastic cover over the blade.

Tigereye
12-05-12, 03:28 PM
Yes, I did mine last weekend. You have to apply "upward" pressure on the thicker end of the plastic cover, and then slide the entire cover about 1/3" to the left and lift - the plastic cover will now remove. Replace the blade. Then, reinstall the cover by sliding the "skinny end" tab into the wiper blade, slide right, and gently force the plastic cover back down. Took me about three minutes total including cleaning the window. G'luck!

cadigirlchicago2
12-22-12, 10:34 PM
Just wondering if this rear blade for my 2010 can be purchased anywhere or if this is like the front wipers that are the special ones that only cadillac sells? Can someone please post an item # and where to purchase? I haven't replaced mine since purchase but I have noticed it's not clearing as well, assuming it's time for a replacement. Thanks guys!

Terry Judkins
12-23-12, 07:16 AM
I bought replacement wipers at Advance Auto parts. I just told the fellow at the counter that I needed new blades for a 2010 Cadillac SRX, he looked them up, found them in stock and installed them. Installation was free.

sube5186
12-23-12, 08:21 PM
I bought replacement wipers at Advance Auto parts. I just told the fellow at the counter that I needed new blades for a 2010 Cadillac SRX, he looked them up, found them in stock and installed them. Installation was free.

I would thoroughly check the connectors. I bought some aftermarket blades that came with a half dozen different adapters, none of which fit securely. I finally scrapped that idea and got OEMs from the dealer. Figured it wasn't worth a scratched windshield from wiper blades that blew off in the middle of a storm just to save a few bucks.

Sube

Terry Judkins
12-23-12, 11:34 PM
I had the wipers replaced shortly after buying the SRX over a year ago, have had no problems and it has been driven in some gully washers. :)

sube5186
12-24-12, 09:45 AM
I had the wipers replaced shortly after buying the SRX over a year ago, have had no problems and it has been driven in some gully washers. :)

My mistake. I neglected to read "rear" in the title of this thread. I was actually thinking of the front wiper blades. The rear one is pretty generic and should be easy to fit. :bouncy:

Sube

cadigirlchicago2
12-26-12, 08:31 PM

Thanks!!!!

wiperman
01-02-13, 05:25 PM
Since I am in the wiper blade business, I thought I would add some to this topic. In replacing the rear blade on my own '12 SRX, I did break the small L-shaped retainer prong on the bottom of the plastic shroud that covers the rear wiper arm and blade. As described in one of the previous posts, you do have to be very careful to disengage the shroud from the area around the motor shaft first. Then, slide the shroud left (as you are looking at the tailgate) to keep the L-shaped plastic retainer prong from getting hung up on the metal wiper blade frame. Re-installation of the shroud is also tricky, in that you first have to make sure the L-shaped retainer prong is placed, and then GENTLY push the shroud over the two locating tabs by the motor shaft. This is where I broke mine, by pushing too hard to lock it in. In doing so, I pushed so hard to get it to fit that the L-shaped plastic retainer hit the metal wiper frame and broke off. New shroud from Andrews Cadillac: a very reasonable $20. I do think it is a very poor design, though, and it is hard to understand why they used it since GM uses other, better rear wiper blades on many of their other SUV's.

Bee iLL
02-14-13, 06:45 PM
Since I had a hell of a time finding a blade that worked, figured I share with everyone else so they don't have the same frustration. The one that worked for me finally in the end was the Bosch MicroEDGE 13 Part# 40713. It is slightly longer than the original, but clears everything without any problems. At first I thought it wouldn't work like the countless others, but the Bosch clip is made to snap around the main arm, so it is just very tight. I little bit of pressure and the hook slid down and around, snapping in tighter than the OEM. With it being a little longer, the rubber blade does hang slightly out the edge of the plastic shroud, but I don't think anyone but me would notice. I took a few pictures in case anyone wanted to see. So far, I think they wipe better than the OEM's.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hqqwdd.jpg http://i47.tinypic.com/2my43uc.jpg

Dave1442397
07-13-14, 04:44 PM
Since I had a hell of a time finding a blade that worked, figured I share with everyone else so they don't have the same frustration. The one that worked for me finally in the end was the Bosch MicroEDGE 13 Part# 40713. It is slightly longer than the original, but clears everything without any problems. At first I thought it wouldn't work like the countless others, but the Bosch clip is made to snap around the main arm, so it is just very tight. I little bit of pressure and the hook slid down and around, snapping in tighter than the OEM. With it being a little longer, the rubber blade does hang slightly out the edge of the plastic shroud, but I don't think anyone but me would notice. I took a few pictures in case anyone wanted to see. So far, I think they wipe better than the OEM's.

Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. I was just about to pick a random 12" replacement for the rear window, but now that I know what works...

Nice Ride
07-14-14, 09:45 PM
Behind BMW today, it had the same short cover, with wiper blade extending 8" beyond cover. :yup:

wiperman
07-14-14, 10:35 PM
Behind BMW today, it had the same short cover, with wiper blade extending 8" beyond cover. :yup:

The BMW rear wiper is actually a beam, or flat, blade used with a short wiper arm. The problem is that it is a relatively expensive dealer item. Quality replacement blades for an SRX are widely available from numerous auto parts stores or service shops.