: New to the Game: 2003 Escalade

susp veh
12-05-12, 11:56 AM
I picked her up 2 weeks ago at a local dealership...It's an '03, 5.3 liter, 2WD, Diamond White Pearl, 1-Owner, 70k miles, extremely clean inside and out. The only problem..It had some booty @$$ 20" wheels and ugly chrome mouldings E V E R Y W H E R E!

BEFORE

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy186/4p81/lade1.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy186/4p81/lade2.jpg

AFTER

The very next morning I got rid of all of the chrome mouldings using a fabric steamer and a plastic putty knife(sry no pics of that process) ...Then went to my buddy's shop to balance and mount some OEM 22's had found for a good deal.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy186/4p81/lade3.jpg

A few days later I finally found the 22's I wanted and did a straight trade from a cool dude off of craigslist that was looking for something different.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy186/4p81/lade4.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy186/4p81/lade5.jpg

----------

My Mcgaughy's 3/5 drop kit are on way along with recommended Mcgaughys rear shock absorber replacements. I am looking to remove both the factory rear air ride components and the trailer hitch...Are there any known problems when I do this?

jnrsesv
12-05-12, 01:56 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing....

No probs with the shock replacement as long as the kit includes the the switch to disable the DIC light.

the cadillac man
12-05-12, 04:17 PM
I picked her up 2 weeks ago at a local dealership...It's an '03, 5.3 liter, 2WD, Diamond White Pearl, 1-Owner, 70k miles, extremely clean inside and out. The only problem..It had some booty @$$ 20" wheels and ugly chrome mouldings E V E R Y W H E R E!

BEFORE

AFTER

The very next morning I got rid of all of the chrome mouldings using a fabric steamer and a plastic putty knife(sry no pics of that process) ...Then went to my buddy's shop to balance and mount some OEM 22's had found for a good deal.

A few days later I finally found the 22's I wanted and did a straight trade from a cool dude off of craigslist that was looking for something different.

----------

My Mcgaughy's 3/5 drop kit are on way along with recommended Mcgaughys rear shock absorber replacements. I am looking to remove both the factory rear air ride components and the trailer hitch...Are there any known problems when I do this?

If you don't want to keep the chrome parts let me know and depending on the condition of the air ride components I may or may not be interested as my air ride is in need of replacing I like it over gas shocks anyday

susp veh
12-05-12, 04:58 PM
Thanks jnrsesv on the compliment and advice. However, I DO NOT recall the Mcgaughy shocks mentioning anything about including a switch to disable the DIC light :/

the cadillac man...i got rid of all the chrome accessories that same day. As far as selling you my air ride I will definately keep you in mind. The condition is mint as the rest of the vehicle is.

jnrsesv
12-05-12, 09:39 PM
Make sure the kit has some type of sensor that will eliminate "service ride control"in the DIC (Driver Information Center) before installing. If the kit does not have something to that effect, I would return it.

susp veh
12-05-12, 10:01 PM
Make sure the kit has some type of sensor that will eliminate "service ride control"in the DIC (Driver Information Center) before installing. If the kit does not have something to that effect, I would return it.

Crap! The package should arrive sometime tomorrow and now the install may be delayed. I ordered the drop kit from www.streetpros.com and McG's recommended part# 2050. Now that I'm researching the part # it looks like it's a replacement for the non-air shocks escalade models. btw are there non-air shock models? I thought they were all aired.

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 12:43 AM
Crap! The package should arrive sometime tomorrow and now the install may be delayed. I ordered the drop kit from www.streetpros.com and McG's recommended part# 2050. Now that I'm researching the part # it looks like it's a replacement for the non-air shocks escalade models. btw are there non-air shock models? I thought they were all aired.

There is no non air ride escalade that I know of
I do know the Tahoe and Yukon have air ride as a option

susp veh
12-06-12, 11:50 AM
^^thanks for confirming that sir.

susp veh
12-06-12, 01:05 PM
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Mcgaughys and as soon as they heard I'm doing a "3/5 drop" on a 2WD escalade they immediately said it was not recommended. They advised the "2/3 drop" is the safest route and pretty much wanted nothing to do with my suspension mod. What I don't understand is why sell this claimed bolt-on kit and not back up their product. The rep. said if I wanted to pursue the suspension install then I would be opening a can of worms to all sorts of computer/electrical problems. C'mon! really!? I know I am not the first to do this...Can anybody else chime in?

the cadillac man
12-06-12, 01:40 PM
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Mcgaughys and as soon as they heard I'm doing a "3/5 drop" on a 2WD escalade they immediately said it was not recommended. They advised the "2/3 drop" is the safest route and pretty much wanted nothing to do with my suspension mod. What I don't understand is why sell this claimed bolt-on kit and not back up their product. The rep. said if I wanted to pursue the suspension install then I would be opening a can of worms to all sorts of computer/electrical problems. C'mon! really!? I know I am not the first to do this...Can anybody else chime in?

My guess is they are talking about the stock air shocks other then that I think they are making false claim.

smelly$cat
12-06-12, 05:52 PM
I have the 2/3 drop on my 03 esv and it sits pretty low. I still have my air ride shocks. I'm on stock 17's. I think the 2/3 kit would look great with your OEM 22's. I've had thoughts of trying to pick some of those up for my ESV but have had other priorities.

mikedyk43
12-07-12, 12:57 AM

I have done a 3/5 drop on mine and the can of worms they are referring to is not the DIC air ride message (which can be solved with a resistor). They are not recommending this drop because of the physical clearance issues between the rear axle and the frame of the vehicle. When you drop the rear 5 inches, the vehicle will be resting on the rear bump stops while parked, obviously not ideal for driving comfort. Removing the rear bump stops gives you about an extra 1.5 inches of clearance and cutting the bump stop mounts off of the frame gives you about 2 more inches. Below is a picture of mine after lowering it. BTW mine is AWD and still has fully functional air ride.
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u669/mikedyk43/MonNov12165811PST2012_zps857230f8.jpg
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u669/mikedyk43/MonNov12165812PST2012_zpsa68f518c.jpg

susp veh
12-07-12, 07:49 PM
Smelly and mike thanks for your input and pictures. I just picked up the Lade from the shop and the install is complete. A resistor was installed however, it did not clear the message on the DIC. Mike can u steer me in the right direction to where the resistor should be installed?

jnrsesv
12-07-12, 09:23 PM
I just picked up the Lade from the shop and the install is complete

Wheres the pics?????

the cadillac man
12-07-12, 10:26 PM
Wheres the pics?????

+1 I second the notion for some pics

ROCKETW19
12-08-12, 04:36 AM
Smelly and mike thanks for your input and pictures. I just picked up the Lade from the shop and the install is complete. A resistor was installed however, it did not clear the message on the DIC. Mike can u steer me in the right direction to where the resistor should be installed?

yes any info on how to turn off the service light would be great.

OP I also have 3/5 drop only problem was the sensor that I know of as i bought it lowered from a buddy he didnt mention anything hard other than he did not know how to turn off light.

susp veh
12-08-12, 09:55 PM
Sorry guys i have no worthy pics of drop at this time :( When I picked her up yesterday I literally drove her home, parked her in the garage and got ready for my 2nd job. There should be rain in the forecast tomorrow but if you guys are that anxious then ill take some quick shots of the new stance.