: Need help ....ASAP!!!

retho78
12-04-12, 11:40 PM
Hi Folks,

My 98 Catera started acting up this evening. I was driving around stopped at the traffic light next thing I know my car won't move, it just shut down (no check engine light or any shaking) when it turned off. I had to push it to the side, gave several tries and only cranks but no start. I decided to wait like 30 mins then tried and it started right away the drove about 50 feet and it turned off again but then gave another try and it started right away and drove about 5-7 minutes and then it shut down again. I ended up pushing it and parked at a parking lot, went with my dad and came back 2 hours later and tried again and it started right up and drove all the way home about 4 miles.

My question is....

Could it be the CPS acting up, or can the CPS cause the car to shut down while driving?

Could it be the computer or something else (Electrical, engine problems)?

I do have an oil leak somewhere below the valve cover gaskets. I changed the valve cover gaskets a month ago but still leaking oil. I'm thinking head gasket or maybe something else causing the oil leak.

There is no coolant leak or any pressure issues while driving, so I'm not sure what's causing this new problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jupiter57
12-05-12, 04:38 AM
Having not experienced that problem yet, searching through the site seems to indicate that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is most likely the culprit.

For ~$30 and an hours work, That would be the first thing I would try.

Good Luck!

retho78
12-05-12, 08:43 AM
Thanks, this is first time it has happened to me. Anyways, I have ordered a CPS already and will swap it out and see what happens.

If anybody else has any suggestions please let me know.....thanks.

kaustein
12-05-12, 09:35 AM
Having not experienced that problem yet, searching through the site seems to indicate that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is most likely the culprit.

For ~$30 and an hours work, That would be the first thing I would try.

Good Luck!

Agreed!

retho78
12-05-12, 05:35 PM
Thanks, I'll be getting the sensor tomorrow and replace it and see what happens.

----------

I have some good news, I used my OBD II scanner now and it pulled up P0335, Crankshaft position sensor.

elvin315
12-05-12, 08:37 PM
Read my reply to this similar post.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/275884-catera-shut-off-me-today.html

----------

Read my reply to this similar post.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/275884-catera-shut-off-me-today.html

retho78
12-06-12, 12:14 AM
Thanks, I have changed the CPS before on another Catera that had starting problems, but didn't realize that CPS can cause the car to shut down while driving too.

retho78
12-08-12, 07:38 PM
Update - replaced the CPS and the car is running good so far.

Another question...... I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides about 4 weeks due to an oil leak and mainly more leak coming from the passenger side. When I removed the passenger side valve cover I noticed the plugs were covered in oil. Anyways I cleaned it all out and replaced the gaskets, but I'm still having the oil leak from both sides and while I replaced the CPS last night I checked the passenger side spark plug wires and there was some oil on the plug boots.

Do you think the head gasket is bad or could it be something else?

Thanks.

gvjv3
12-08-12, 07:55 PM
when you replace the value cover gasket, there was 2 right, for each cover, a inter, and outer, plus O ring gaskets for each spark plug tube

retho78
12-08-12, 09:07 PM
Yes, replaced the old ones with the new gaskets and O-rings.

Sontov
12-09-12, 07:21 PM
hmmm... so you are saying the CPS goes bad-- the car will not start-- will not even turn over?
Thats what my car is doing: new battery, red/power cable to starter reads 12v, 12v the alternator...
when I rocker the key to the ON position to start the car - I get no action out of the starter...
And you are saying that, if the CPS is bad, the car will not even turn over?
I cleaned my CPS- it was oily and dirty - but once I cleaned it, and reinstalled it, the car didnt crank-over...
so perhaps the sensor is bad?

MoistCabbage
12-09-12, 07:34 PM
CKP (CranK Position) sensors have nothing to do with starter operation.

Sontov, you have the same/similar questions posted in at least three separate threads, just start your own. It's much simpler when all of the info on YOUR problem is in the same thread, and everyone is on the same page.

retho78
12-10-12, 04:31 PM
hmmm... so you are saying the CPS goes bad-- the car will not start-- will not even turn over?
Thats what my car is doing: new battery, red/power cable to starter reads 12v, 12v the alternator...
when I rocker the key to the ON position to start the car - I get no action out of the starter...
And you are saying that, if the CPS is bad, the car will not even turn over?
I cleaned my CPS- it was oily and dirty - but once I cleaned it, and reinstalled it, the car didnt crank-over...
so perhaps the sensor is bad?

Sontov - This is my guess if the CPS is bad, you'll still have crank but no start. Mine would crank but wouldn't start and replacing the CPS. Your problem could be something else, maybe bad positive cable or blown fuse...etc.

Sontov
12-10-12, 04:40 PM
okay thanks. I replaced the (3) 80A maxi fuses just off the battery where as a the green ?A fuse looked good. but it still wont crank...Ugh.
Im at a loss with this car...

retho78
12-10-12, 08:20 PM
Hey Sontov,

Please test the starter too!! It could be bad.

elvin315
12-11-12, 09:49 PM
Update - replaced the CPS and the car is running good so far.

Another question...... I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides about 4 weeks due to an oil leak and mainly more leak coming from the passenger side. When I removed the passenger side valve cover I noticed the plugs were covered in oil. Anyways I cleaned it all out and replaced the gaskets, but I'm still having the oil leak from both sides and while I replaced the CPS last night I checked the passenger side spark plug wires and there was some oil on the plug boots.

Do you think the head gasket is bad or could it be something else?

Thanks.

What would a leaking head gasket have to do with the camcovers? Oil doesn't drip up.

Filled sparkplug wells are caused by leaking camcover gaskets. The reason your new ones failed is because you didn't clean the crankcase breather. Clogged breathers cause built up crankcase pressure to seek another path out. In the L81's case it's the plastic covers which flex and let the oil mist out. It lands on the exhaust heat shields and smolders. Search the archives for breather cleaning instructions.

retho78
12-12-12, 04:48 PM
Thanks elvin315, I'll check them.......thought I had cleaned them previously but would take a look at it.

So do you think I'll have to replace the valve cover gaskets again after the breather clean up?

Thanks.

elvin315
12-12-12, 06:11 PM
You might get away with it if you clean the gaskets and the sealing surfaces thoroughly. There's only one breather box but the black strip and tubes on top of the plenum are included. Intructions are available on VauxhallOwnersNetwork.net.

retho78
12-13-12, 11:56 PM
okay, thanks. I'll take a look at it and hopefully this leak issue will be resolved without much expense.

retho78
01-12-13, 11:40 PM
Just a quick update, finally got a chance to mess around and find out why the oil was leaking again from the valve cover gaskets I replaced couple months ago. I took the valve covers, upper intake out and checked breather box area and noticed that the small line from the black strip on top of the upper intake going to the breather box cracked easily while I pulled it out. I replaced it with a new line and the checked the ports (small and large) on the breather box and they looked fine but ended up cleaning it again.

The black plastice strip on top of the upper intake was really clogged so ended up soaking it in carb cleaner and used some compressed air few minutes later and shot all the gunk out. I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the plugs while I was there and iinstalled new valve cover gaskets. Then cleaned it the other areas on the upper intake with carb cleaner. Installed everything back and started the car, there was one shot of white smoke that came out of the exhaust then it ran normal. I guess it was from all the cleaning I did andyways I haven't test drove it yet but will do it tomorrow and let you all know how things are.

Thanks.

retho78
01-14-13, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

Another update, drove the car around today and came back and it's still leaking oil :-\. No idea what's going on now. I guess I have to crawl under the car and track the oil leak.

Thanks.

98Geldog
01-15-13, 12:43 AM
Was it hard to change the valve cover gaskets? Need to do this ASAP just found a leak any tips?

retho78
01-15-13, 05:50 PM
not that hard replacing it but the driver's side has more stuff above it so just take your time and do it properly.

retho78
01-15-13, 08:10 PM
Okay, I just did a quick check to find where the oil is leaking from and it coming from the driver side valve cover, most likely a warped cover. It's time to find a new cover or is there an easy fix to stop this leak?