: Anyway to open up the lift gate with no power at all?

BlGHUMMER
12-04-12, 11:27 PM
Hey everybody

I have/had a 2011 SRX that was destroyed by hurricane sandy. There is no power at all, nothing works. (remote doesn't work, buttons don't work, nothing works at all, car is dead) I was just wondering if there is another way to open the liftgate? It is in a garage so, its hard to see anything. Just was wondering if anybody knew an alternate way to get the back opened up? Any help would be appreciated. Also I had the spare tire back there, do you guys think that would be salvageable? I am replacing the 2011 with a 2013.

daddie2k3
12-05-12, 06:16 AM
I personally don't know of a way to open without power but I would like to suggest a few things to try and I hope they might help...I would first check to see if you can put power back under the hood(reconnect the battery or use another one if destroyed) and if that don't work try pulling up on the hatch while pushing the release button on the chrome handle to see if unlock and can push up without power...hope this helps and you should consider keeping any and every useful working item you can take off including the spare tire kit because it might a few people on this site who will buy them from you including me ;)

halp
12-05-12, 12:15 PM
If the car is wrecked and not going to be repaired. Take a crowbar and pry up where the hatch meets the bumper to pop the lock.
It will wreck the hatch, but if the car is junk what do you care. I would think that the spare would be OK.

BlGHUMMER
12-05-12, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. no way a battery will start the car. It was submerged underneath the garage. Crow bar is looking like the only option? i dont know... anybody else? tow truck is coming to pick the car up in a couple of hours... will be getting a 2013, so i was hoping to salvage the spare out of the back for my 2013? Anybody else I would appreciate any help.

daddie2k3
12-05-12, 09:39 PM
Oh yea if possible keep the keys as spares because you can program for the new srx but I think the bar to the hatch is the only choice now...sorry to hear about your lost by the way...normally people lose the small important things in disasters

Huey Driver
12-06-12, 08:31 AM
I'd just leave it alone, why bother messing with it over a spare tire? If you forgot to tell your insurance co about the tire, so they could include it in the claim, ask if they can add it. If it is part of the claim, it really belongs to them. I'm sure they let you retrieve all personal items, but generally parts of the car would be included in the claim. If you damage the car further, you risk irritating them and losing more than the value of a tire. I would suppose there's not much they can do with a submerged car, but your never know what it might be worth to them. Insurance co's will take quite a bath on Sandy, dont give them a reason to cut your claim.

GEORGEC
12-29-12, 12:43 PM
I'd just leave it alone, why bother messing with it over a spare tire? If you forgot to tell your insurance co about the tire, so they could include it in the claim, ask if they can add it. If it is part of the claim, it really belongs to them. I'm sure they let you retrieve all personal items, but generally parts of the car would be included in the claim. If you damage the car further, you risk irritating them and losing more than the value of a tire. I would suppose there's not much they can do with a submerged car, but your never know what it might be worth to them. Insurance co's will take quite a bath on Sandy, dont give them a reason to cut your claim.

All undamaged parts of a vehicle have value to an insurance company. Even though it was under water, the rear hatch can be sold to a body shop where it will be refurbished for use on a wrecked vehicle.

George

inspectorudy
12-29-12, 04:13 PM
I hate to inform you that if you take one item from that car that is not your personal property then it is theft. If it is over $500 then I think it is a felony but I'm not sure of the dollar amount. Once the insurance company takes your car as a total loss then the entire car belongs to them and it is their property. Just think of the cost of a lawyer to fight them if they discover that you not only stole a part from "Their" car but wrecked another item in the process. That rear hatch even in its present shape is worth several hundreds of dollars.

daddie2k3
12-29-12, 07:09 PM
I hate to inform you that if you take one item from that car that is not your personal property then it is theft. If it is over $500 then I think it is a felony but I'm not sure of the dollar amount. Once the insurance company takes your car as a total loss then the entire car belongs to them and it is their property. Just think of the cost of a lawyer to fight them if they discover that you not only stole a part from "Their" car but wrecked another item in the process. That rear hatch even in its present shape is worth several hundreds of dollars.

Wow didn't think about that and yes you are very correct. I'm glad I wasn't in that situation and made the mistakes I suggested...

cadmanchris
12-30-12, 04:31 PM
To open the liftgate..

Pop out the dome light in the rear hatch.
Get a flat screwdriver and push on the silver latch release to open hatch.

Hope this helps.