: Driveline Clunk 2007 Escalade

Big Big Red
12-04-12, 08:06 PM
Just purchased 2007 AWD Escalade and noticing a clunking noise in rear when accelerating at low speed. Usually happens after letting off accelerator then getting back on. Also happens when accelerating in curve. Please help if anyone has experienced this issue. Very annoying!

hannity
12-04-12, 08:56 PM
Hi, sorry to hear of your issue. It's common issue that has been in other generations of escalade as well. I had that same issue with mine and played the cat and mouse game with the service departments until I was told that it is normal. However it did not do it when I test drove it. Anyway they will give you software updates to clear up the issue, which didn't work for me, but some claim it worked for them. I continued to have this issue (among others) even though I took it to 3 different service depts. Anyway I got the issue cleared oddly enough when I took it in for an unrelated issue. I was hearing a gurgling noise when starting it first thing in the morning. Radiator was full to the proper level and it still made the noise. I took it in and they flushed it and did some other stuff and it didn't do it since. I think that one of the techs must have seen something routine and just did something. Or maybe it was just time for it to stop, because it did not do it from that day forward. Sorry about going on so long, just telling you about when i experienced it and when it stopped. Good thing about this site many work for gm and customer service reps are on here and will lend you a helping hand. One of them will see this topic and point you in the right direction.

----------

I found this video, mine was a deadening sounding clunk compared to what this guy says his sounded like. However he says he found the issue, God bless youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRtxQo9xpM

Big Big Red
12-04-12, 11:17 PM
Thanks Hannity. I actually called GM dealership in my area and they told me it was a normal character issue. They said from 2007 to 2013 all does it. So hard to believe!!!
It's really loud switching from 2 to 3 gear. I hope someone can help me on here. My truck is very nice but this issue is almost embarrassing when I have passengers. Thanks again.

Ghost Deany
12-05-12, 12:04 AM
Are you having the hard shift from 2nd into 3rd?

Royalton
12-05-12, 02:01 AM
There's another thread on this too, consensus was that nearly all of us have it at times and it's normal. It bugs me too.

I just purchased the Diablo I tuner. It allows you to set Custom Transmission Points. I am going to see if firming up the shift points helps with this issue as most of us get this bang from hesitation when it's not quite sure if it should change gears yet or not.

Big Big Red
12-05-12, 09:07 AM
Are you having the hard shift from 2nd into 3rd?

Yes happens shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Tec80
12-05-12, 01:33 PM
The video shows a skid plate, which we don't have on our trucks. I was watching the guy unbolting the shield and wondering why he didn't just pull down hard on the overhanging rear portion of the shield to slightly bend it away from the transfer case, it would have taken 5 seconds to fix that way!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-05-12, 02:22 PM
Big Big Red, please let me know if you would ever like me to contact your dealer on your behalf and create a service request for you specific concern; my email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. I realize you're in the middle of getting DIY advice from other owners, though, and I can appreciate that. I'm very sorry to hear about these persistent concerns, so I'm going to document this thread's URL where many GM departments can view it.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Big Big Red
12-06-12, 12:34 AM
There's another thread on this too, consensus was that nearly all of us have it at times and it's normal. It bugs me too.

I just purchased the Diablo I tuner. It allows you to set Custom Transmission Points. I am going to see if firming up the shift points helps with this issue as most of us get this bang from hesitation when it's not quite sure if it should change gears yet or not.

Hey please let me know how the tuner works for you. Hope it solves the issue.

toygar
12-06-12, 06:41 AM
when i test drove an awd before buyin my 2wd, i noticed the clunking and asked the service dept.manager.he said it probably is the transfer case in awd.

hannity
12-07-12, 02:40 AM
Thanks Hannity. I actually called GM dealership in my area and they told me it was a normal character issue. They said from 2007 to 2013 all does it. So hard to believe!!!
It's really loud switching from 2 to 3 gear. I hope someone can help me on here. My truck is very nice but this issue is almost embarrassing when I have passengers. Thanks again.

I found this, the way it's described here is a design flaw. They could just be selling their services, but it kind of makes sense seeing that so many gm trucks do it and have continued to do so from one gen to another.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/144

Big Big Red
12-07-12, 03:05 PM
Just purchased 2007 AWD Escalade and noticing a clunking noise in rear when accelerating at low speed. Usually happens after letting off accelerator then getting back on. Also happens when accelerating in curve. Please help if anyone has experienced this issue. Very annoying!

Has anyone ever fixed the clunking issue that happens switching from 2nd to 3rd gear... 2007 Escalade?

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 12:21 AM
Has anyone ever fixed the clunking issue that happens switching from 2nd to 3rd gear... 2007 Escalade?

If you are getting the Hard shift from second to third gear there is a Technical Service Bulletin for the fix, involves some seals for the tranny. I had the clunk while driving slow in the parking lot until they did the fix for the 2-3 shift

Big Big Red
12-08-12, 12:33 AM
If you are getting the Hard shift from second to third gear there is a Technical Service Bulletin for the fix, involves some seals for the tranny. I had the clunk while driving slow in the parking lot until they did the fix for the 2-3 shift

Thanks so much!! Where do I find the bulletin?

----------

I found this, the way it's described here is a design flaw. They could just be selling their services, but it kind of makes sense seeing that so many gm trucks do it and have continued to do so from one gen to another.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/144

Thanks, and it does make sense.

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 01:02 PM
Thanks so much!! Where do I find the bulletin?[COLOR="Silver"]

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/81491d1318308068-07-escalade-transmission-slip-lag-img_1967.jpg

Thats what they did on mine. Hopefully that is the fix for you as well. If your getting the flare in the shift from 2nd into 3rd that is most likely the fix. I had them do that, and the day i got it back it did the clunk only on the first day, from 1st into 2nd in a parking lot when driving slow and letting off the gas after accelerating while in first. Now it never clunks anymore, maybe once every few months ill get 1 driveline clunk but it shifts perfect and i cant complain. and the rare time the clunk does happen it only will happen in a parking lot when driving like 5mph and it has a brain fart on weather to go into 2nd or stay in first. Now i have the diablosport predator and it seems to shift even more smooth and better.

Big Big Red
12-08-12, 03:15 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/81491d1318308068-07-escalade-transmission-slip-lag-img_1967.jpg

Thats what they did on mine. Hopefully that is the fix for you as well. If your getting the flare in the shift from 2nd into 3rd that is most likely the fix. I had them do that, and the day i got it back it did the clunk only on the first day, from 1st into 2nd in a parking lot when driving slow and letting off the gas after accelerating while in first. Now it never clunks anymore, maybe once every few months ill get 1 driveline clunk but it shifts perfect and i cant complain. and the rare time the clunk does happen it only will happen in a parking lot when driving like 5mph and it has a brain fart on weather to go into 2nd or stay in first. Now i have the diablosport predator and it seems to shift even more smooth and better.

If you don't mind me asking, what did cost you to repair?

Ghost Deany
12-08-12, 03:20 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what did cost you to repair?

Free under powertrain

Big Big Red
12-08-12, 03:21 PM
Free under powertrain

Thanks

Big Big Red
12-15-12, 10:21 AM
Greased the slip yoke yesterday and still makes the clunking noise. Anymore suggestions. This is a pain.

hannity
12-17-12, 02:36 PM
Greased the slip yoke yesterday and still makes the clunking noise. Anymore suggestions. This is a pain.

That sucks, when I was searching for some stuff on this issue I came across a Tahoe forum with a similar topic and one of the people there said he does that every 6 months to keep the klunk away. Guess it doesn't work for everyone :(

48Dodge
12-17-12, 04:12 PM
I thought I'd fixed my clunk and weird shifting by changing the fluids. Everything was smooth for about a week and now it's back to "normal". I also noticed a big improvement after cleaning the throttle body, smoothest it has ever been. I've had the updates performed with no improvement.

Big Big Red
12-17-12, 09:20 PM
That sucks, when I was searching for some stuff on this issue I came across a Tahoe forum with a similar topic and one of the people there said he does that every 6 months to keep the klunk away. Guess it doesn't work for everyone :(

Hey what do think about the racquetball fix.

Big Big Red
12-21-12, 06:46 PM
Hey what do think about the racquetball fix.

Hey Hannity what do you think about the racquet ball fix? I read a few post that read where some people placed a racquet ball in the slip yoke and it fixed the clunk. What do you think?

Also read about the nickel plated yoke but can't find one anywhere!

baikin
02-22-13, 07:09 PM
I already started a post but does this sound the same? I guess I never paid to much attention but I do think it is the change between 2nd and 3rd and vice verse which I get the sound and yes it is embarrassing. I have a 2008 Escalade with around 65k miles. Since it was at 39K, when I bought it. I have been having an issue with intermittent knocking upon down shift or up shift. Example would be accelerating to get onto the interstate when it shift to the higher gear sometimes if sounds like a hammer hits the bottom of my car. Other times it is when I decelerate and it switches gears the same thing happens. This doesnít happen all the time but it has happened while accelerating, decelerating. I have taken it to the dealer many times and they state they can never recreate it and the computer shows nothing wrong. I had a 07 Yukon Denali and never have had this issue. There is something I just canít get them to find it. Do you have any thoughts or knowledge of this issue. I bought it from Don Massey Cadillac in Lone Tree.

Big Big Red
02-23-13, 01:11 AM
I already started a post but does this sound the same? I guess I never paid to much attention but I do think it is the change between 2nd and 3rd and vice verse which I get the sound and yes it is embarrassing. I have a 2008 Escalade with around 65k miles. Since it was at 39K, when I bought it. I have been having an issue with intermittent knocking upon down shift or up shift. Example would be accelerating to get onto the interstate when it shift to the higher gear sometimes if sounds like a hammer hits the bottom of my car. Other times it is when I decelerate and it switches gears the same thing happens. This doesn’t happen all the time but it has happened while accelerating, decelerating. I have taken it to the dealer many times and they state they can never recreate it and the computer shows nothing wrong. I had a 07 Yukon Denali and never have had this issue. There is something I just can’t get them to find it. Do you have any thoughts or knowledge of this issue. I bought it from Don Massey Cadillac in Lone Tree.

This is exactly the same issue. No one seems to know how to fix it. It's sad that manufactures of this supposedly nice vehicle will not correct the issue. I had a Tahoe and it never had this problem. :(

hannity
02-23-13, 02:56 PM
Hey Hannity what do you think about the racquet ball fix? I read a few post that read where some people placed a racquet ball in the slip yoke and it fixed the clunk. What do you think?

Also read about the nickel plated yoke but can't find one anywhere!

I'm not an expert on this at all, it's my first gm vehicle. However I was reading some topics on gm drive line clunk and people were talking about the racquet ball fix. Some people said it really works and that a gm tech was an advocate for this fix. I saw other topics where people were saying that the rubber will eventually come apart and could get into the transfer case. Some were just living with it and others were just pulling out the drive shaft and greasing the yolk every 6 months. Honestly, I would keep trying to find that nickel plated yolk. You could try year one to see if they have it, they should. https://yearone.com/ They mostly have stuff for very old cars, but these are car guys if you call or e mail them someone should know where you can get them.

In the event that you can't get the nickel yolk you may want to see about greasing every 6 months. I'm not too keen on putting a racquet ball in there, but that is just me, good luck let me know what you decide to do.

----------

I found this link, the guy has full color photos of how he took apart the yolk. This is if you decide to do it yourself. I have never taken apart a drive shaft and if it's your first time I would advise going to a junk yard and finding a late model gm or ford truck to practice on.

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f66/gmt900-slip-yoke-lubrication-2504/

Good luck.

Big Big Red
02-23-13, 03:13 PM
I'm not an expert on this at all, it's my first gm vehicle. However I was reading some topics on gm drive line clunk and people were talking about the racquet ball fix. Some people said it really works and that a gm tech was an advocate for this fix. I saw other topics where people were saying that the rubber will eventually come apart and could get into the transfer case. Some were just living with it and others were just pulling out the drive shaft and greasing the yolk every 6 months. Honestly, I would keep trying to find that nickel plated yolk. You could try year one to see if they have it, they should. https://yearone.com/ They mostly have stuff for very old cars, but these are car guys if you call or e mail them someone should know where you can get them.

In the event that you can't get the nickel yolk you may want to see about greasing every 6 months. I'm not too keen on putting a racquet ball in there, but that is just me, good luck let me know what you decide to do.

----------

I found this link, the guy has full color photos of how he took apart the yolk. This is if you decide to do it yourself. I have never taken apart a drive shaft and if it's your first time I would advise going to a junk yard and finding a late model gm or ford truck to practice on.

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f66/gmt900-slip-yoke-lubrication-2504/

Good luck.

Hannity Just replaced the purge valve and the engine light is still on. Should I reset the code by disconnecting battery?