: Anybody here old enough?

orconn
12-04-12, 06:42 PM
Anybody here old enough to have some kind words to say about a Hudson motorcar?

greencadillacmatt
12-04-12, 07:16 PM
I know that I'd like to drive a Twin-H Power 7-X equipped '52 Hornet! :D

vincentm
12-04-12, 07:44 PM
I read alot about them from my dad's collection of Cars &Parts magazines, great cars i wouldnt mind owning a 55 to have as a project

dkozloski
12-04-12, 08:02 PM
Marshall Teague and the "Fabulous Hudson Hornet". Smokey Yunick and Marshall Teague won 27 of 34 NASCAR races entered. Other than going like hell with a long stroke old obsolete flathead motor the car was a POS.

CadillacLuke24
12-04-12, 08:03 PM
They were quite popular in the early 50s in NASCAR due to their twin H power, I believe.

Submariner409
12-04-12, 08:53 PM
Old running mate's parents had a Hudson (Hornet ?) sedan thingy. It would eat my mothers' '53 Chrysler Saratoga hemi alive.

dkozloski
12-04-12, 09:52 PM
Pre-war, the Hudson "Super Six" was known as a good performer and had an International truck motor in it.

Twin H power was a couple of dual throat WCD Carter carbs on a cast manifold similar to a straight eight Buick Century...

Hudson was the first car with a perimeter frame and the floor was lower than the frame thus the "step-down" moniker.

Ranger
12-04-12, 09:58 PM
Old enough to remember it. Had an uncle who had one. It was "fugly"!

77CDV
12-05-12, 12:39 AM
My mom had a 1952 Hornet sedan. She still says it was the best car she ever had.

Funny you should bring it up. I've really been admiring the pre-WWII Hudson-Essex-Terraplane cars. The Hudsons especially were very handsome cars, and their pickups were unusually stylish.

orconn
12-05-12, 01:04 AM
I too am an admirer of the '40 Hudson pick up trucks. I think I have mentioned before that one of my good friends father was the Hudson dealer in South Pasadena. Amongst other Hudsons his dad had a very nice '48 (or so) Hudson pickup, which we used every year for our school paper drives. It was always a treat because we got to ride in the back to take the collected papers to the place that bought them .... and then got to ride home in the empty bed. Nothing like riding in the bed of a pickup truck to make a young kid's day!

Back in those days I thought the early fifties Hudson Hornets and Wasps the I often got a ride to school in were only slightly less "Fugly" than my dad's 1950 Packard Deluxe 8. However, in recent years I grown to appreciate the styling and technical advances that those Hudsons had going for them. A friend of mine in the eighties collected Hudsons and Citroens. He had a a 1952 Hudson Hornet coupe that even today I would give a pretty penny for! For their day the Hornets were fast and with their lower center of gravity handled pretty well to. Once Hudson became part of Nash Kelvinator I lost any interest in the cars.

talismandave
12-05-12, 02:05 AM
Longer....Lower....Wider.....The '49 Hudson Is The Car For Youuuu!

Aron9000
12-05-12, 06:26 AM
Longer....Lower....Wider.....The '49 Hudson Is The Car For Youuuu!

Man, that car was about 6-8 years ahead of the curve. That "lower, wider, longer" styling really didn't come into full vogue until 1957 Plymouth, Chrysler, and Dodge.

dkozloski
12-05-12, 11:36 AM
Hudson had that upside down bath tub look like so many cars of that era like Mercury, Packard, Frazier, and Nash. The brands that couldn't come up with OHV motors went down early. Others like Studebaker tried very modern looks but below the surface they were still obsolete and lacked engineering. Those old cars disappeared for good reason, the value wasn't there and the public could see it.

orconn
12-06-12, 12:32 AM
When I got older and moved to the East Coast and then to Brazil Hudsons pretty much disappeared from my the neighborhoods where I lived. However, toward the end of the 1950's I noticed that my sister's Beatnik friends had sort of adopted the last of the Hudson Hornets as their car of choice. This may well have had more to do with these cars pitifly low resale value once production had ceased more than a particular affinity for the Hornet's attributes (although the large back seat secluded by the realtively narron windows may have had something to do with. Thwe cars which the Beatniks drove were all pretty dented up and rusted, but like many mid fifties cars soldiered on well for those on a limited budget!

Here is an example of one of the Hudsons favored by my sisters Beat friends:

jayoldschool
12-08-12, 03:32 PM
Gramps had a Hornet before switching to Chevys.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-09-12, 10:51 PM
hudsons.....gimme a terraplane !!!!

unibody cars , gobbled up in the AMC faisco ....crapped out after the chrysler buy ....now just corn in the automotive septic tank ..... some hudson engineers lived all the way to work on the LH (intrepid) program....

i used to live not more then 10 miles from hudson florida , the planned retirement community for hudson employees ....a stones throw from oldsmar , the planned community for olds retirees

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-12, 11:10 PM
I don't know enough about AMC/Hudson/Studebaker/Rambler history, but it seems like something I should read up on.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-09-12, 11:23 PM
studebaker died a terrible death , they went in with packard , and by 64 were dead ....mr lowey did the avanti , the coke bottle , the farmall tractor , the work on the interior for twa planes, and a host of other peices of america .... a true great designer , he should be the first you read on

The-Dullahan
12-10-12, 01:09 AM
Anybody here old enough to have some kind words to say about a Hudson motorcar?

Wait, wait wait...

Is anyone here young enough to not remember these?

dkozloski
12-10-12, 11:30 AM
studebaker died a terrible death , they went in with packard , and by 64 were dead ....mr lowey did the avanti , the coke bottle , the farmall tractor , the work on the interior for twa planes, and a host of other peices of america .... a true great designer , he should be the first you read onStudebaker hung their hat on styling to survive while everything under the tin was pre-war era engineering. Suspensions were bad, bad, bad.

Submariner409
12-10-12, 12:57 PM
Age-wise, I'm still chasing DKOZ with a short stick............ 12/10/39

CadillacLuke24
12-10-12, 01:31 PM
Happy Birthday, Sub?

02603sec
12-13-12, 05:40 PM
Mario Andretti and his brother first started racing in a Hornet.