: Service battery charging system message but charging voltage is normal

Grutt
12-03-12, 10:01 PM
Driving home tonight and the "service battery charging system" message displayed along with the red battery warning light. When I got home I checked charging voltage, 14.4v at idle. I load tested battery and visually inspected wiring, no faults found. I test drove vehicle with volt meter connected to battery and readings stayed within normal operating limits 13.5-14.4

The message continued to display for 2-3 additional drive cycles. After sitting for half hour I went for another ride and the message did not display.

Anybody deal with this problem before? Think the alternator is on its way out?

----------

140000k 2008 escalade

MrHolland
12-03-12, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and people in here. I'm sure someone will soon chime with the info you require. Welcome and enjoy your stay!!

K9Caddy
12-04-12, 06:00 AM
I'd keep an eye on it, for sure. Charging system sounds fine from your description. Could be an intermittent issue with the voltage regulator or just a sensor going bad, causing a false reading.

hcvone
12-04-12, 06:30 AM
You may have a cell going bad in the battery, if it's a Delco change it now before it fails on you. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-04-12, 11:32 AM
Welcome, Grutt! If you continue to experience concerns, I do recommend visiting your dealership for service and official diagnostic tests. (I can appreciate, though, if you prefer the DIY approach!) Please contact me privately via email with the last eight of your VIN if you would like me to look into any matter further for you. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

bruin300
12-05-12, 12:50 PM
Last night I was sitting in my truck with the engine off but the key in Acc mode as the kids watched a movie. 30 minutes later I noticed the service charging system and the red battery light turn on as well. I turned the car on. About 10 minutes later the dic message and the red battery light both turned off.

K9Caddy
12-05-12, 01:29 PM
Yep, that sounds perfectly normal. You drained the battery to a safe starting level and the DIC warned you. Upon starting, your alternator charged the battery back to optimal voltage.