: engine chip/programming experiences

sdgc
12-03-12, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to see peoples experiences with chips and what they liked/disliked, which brand they recommend etc. Which was more hp and which had better mpgs. Thanks.

escalade kidd
12-03-12, 07:11 PM
I have the Preditor Diablo and it shifts like a Vette...more power.. better gas mileage...I like the fact that I can remove the tune if it ever needs to go to the dealer.

soulsea
12-03-12, 08:12 PM
That's a nice feature and a welcome one ... do keep in mind however that the dealer, if he chooses to look, can see that the truck has been reprogrammed as any tune leaves a date stamp and/or other traceable imprints behind. At least that's how I understand it.

MrHolland
12-03-12, 08:32 PM
^^^You are correct.

sdgc
12-03-12, 08:47 PM
Thats my biggest worry.... if the engine blows or something to that nature that is NOT caused by the chip, i'd be SOL for warranty work. If it blows due to the chip, thats a differnet story!

soulsea
12-03-12, 08:53 PM
That's not true, that's not how the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act works.

The dealer has to conclusively prove causality between the aftermarket part and the failed component. In this regard, cookie cutter tunes available in Diablosport and other like products have little to no chance of single handedly causing major component failure on their own.

Might take a little while to argue it out with the dealer, but in the end they have no right to deny warranty service simply on the basis that you retuned your engine.

Also, as I understand it, GM subscribes to the BBB Autoline program to settle warranty disputes. This is mentioned in your owners manual. It is free to file a claim and it can go to arbitration if GM doesn't back down. It is not likely that an arbitrator would allow GM to skirt federal law.

hcvone
12-04-12, 06:46 AM
Over the last few years car manufacturers are looking carefully into anything that can cause failure, I know many people that have been turned down for warranty repairs. The Preditor and Intune are very hard to pickup that programming has been done, the dealer tech would not find it, the factory COULD with enough work. If you are worried about that then this is an option, I may know someone who does this ;) You purchase another computer, you have it flashed by a dealership, or someone with a Tech II tool, you dyno tune the car/truck with the new computer, and issues you install the stock computer and return the car to the dealership for work, and it's stock, it's really that simple

corvette00
12-04-12, 10:39 AM
Carl

What is the estimated cost of your suggestion? I would like to do something with my 12. However, I am looking into getting a 13. I wonder if the 12 and 13 Diablo or suggestion are swapable

17Oaks
12-07-12, 01:41 PM
That's not true, that's not how the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act works.

The dealer has to conclusively prove causality between the aftermarket part and the failed component. In this regard, cookie cutter tunes available in Diablosport and other like products have little to no chance of single handedly causing major component failure on their own.

Might take a little while to argue it out with the dealer, but in the end they have no right to deny warranty service simply on the basis that you retuned your engine.

Also, as I understand it, GM subscribes to the BBB Autoline program to settle warranty disputes. This is mentioned in your owners manual. It is free to file a claim and it can go to arbitration if GM doesn't back down. It is not likely that an arbitrator would allow GM to skirt federal law.
You are 100% right, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try it, I have and they simply do not respond. The are smart enough to see it coming and from there its simple, trash the paperwork and just go into deniability. Been there got that shaft on a failure of my Cat system, they blamed it on my modifications to my Jeep and in this case specifically my FENDERS!?!?!?!?!

Also on after market wheels on my Corvette when a lug bolt spun in the wheel hub, same thing, just say NO to chrome wheels, trash paperwork and leave you standing in the driveway.

Or just the other day when I took my 2011 F 350 truck in for a driveshaft alignment as it was getting a DS vibe on acceleration under load. Of course I took it into the dealer without a load, they refused to fix it and no billed me. But I showed up at the pay window and they the little girl pulled my paperwork to look up the charges, she told me no charges and I asked to see paperwork, she handed it too me and the mech had written see TSB which was attached. Turns out this is a known issue on big trucks and and should be fixed using a .5 or 1 degree shim.

If the dealer refused to fix or the other option I have run into is the the 'slo-ro', a govt term meaning drag it out till the action is 'OBE', overcome by events. Such as you giving up after you vehicle sets in the dealer for a week and 'they are sill working on it', or 'we can't get in for another couple of weeks and will need it for 3 or 4 days to diagnose.

Anyhow I just chipped my '09 and used the Hypertech, forgot which model. My goal was better MPG and it jumped it from low to mid 12's to mid 14 overall and up to 19 on Interstate, cruise at 62 mph...

Royalton
12-07-12, 02:33 PM
I purchased the new Diablo Intuner. Had it for a few days so far, it wont recognize my pcm. I read dozens of issues where the Diablo's are hard to get it hooked up to your vehicle. The tech support office is working on it and hopefully they will send me a file to import to my turner that will allow it to work. So far they sent me one file to import and still doesn't work. If you buy a turner just don't expect it to be a perfect experience. It works right for most but there are many that have tech issues with it. So If you buy one add in the possibility of it taking a little time to and effort on your part to get it to work. I'll report back when and if i get it to work and if the results were worth it.

K9Caddy
12-07-12, 03:12 PM
I use the Diablo Intune on my 2009 with NO issues. Weird...

Royalton
12-15-12, 12:26 AM
Thought I would report back in. After exactly 1 week they sent me the file I needed to get it to work. Installing it was a breeze. I did the Diablo tune. I felt a tiny bit more pep throughout the rpm range. My favorite part though is the modified shift points. Shifts are now firmer and not all sloppy and slow like stock. overall I am pleased with this and would recommend it to others, when you have an extra $250 to throw at the car. The good ol transmission clunk is still there. I would say I'm hearing maybe 30% less though.