: Alas, no Catera for me

Jaeger63
12-02-12, 04:30 PM
I joined this forum with the intention of finding and buying a pristine low mileage Catera as a second car. My primary car is a Miata but I don't drive it in the winter and sometimes I just need more space, so I was looking for a Catera as a complement to be a quiet, comfortable highway cruiser.

I test drove a few but none were quite in the condition I was looking for. I came very close to buying one that the owner said needed a head gasket. I'm pretty sure it only needed an oil cooler, but the logistics of towing it home were too much so I passed.

In the end I settled on this:
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab73/Jaeger63/C240/IMG_00000133.jpg

It's rust free and immaculate inside and out, and the real bonus is that it has a manual transmission - very much my preference. Obviously there weren't any Cateras with manuals, but if I'd found one in similar condition I'd have a Catera instead of this 2001 C240.

So, I guess I'll be bowing out for now. Thanks for your input and good luck with your Cateras.

kaustein
12-02-12, 05:30 PM
Best of luck with it. It really can't be any worse than a Catera.

Jaeger63
12-02-12, 06:00 PM
Thanks, kaustein. These cars are known to be very durable, if not exactly reliable or cheap to maintain. Electronic gremlins are very possible, but the basic engine and drivetrain have a good chance of outliving me.