: Ground Effects/puddle led lights

nostaljack17
12-02-12, 09:45 AM
I recently purchased my STS and was wondering if anyone has installed led ground effects/puddle lights. I would like the lights to turn on when unlocking the vehicle. I hear it may not be a hard job, but have to find out where it would connect to my door lights.

thanks

scott9001
12-02-12, 02:45 PM
sounds stupid to me but to each there own just find the power source for the door locks and away you go

EChas3
12-02-12, 06:18 PM
I never use the remote to unlock the car. The car has various options. Your preference might have a bearing on your approach to the lighting mod you're looking to achieve.

I can offer one caution about the interior courtesy lamp circuit. Pulsed DC is used to for the dimming action. This does cause some members LED conversion troubles.

nostaljack17
12-03-12, 02:39 AM
Sounds dumb, but looks amazing on my friends 2012 maxima. Really cool feature IMO.

ddalder
12-03-12, 03:19 AM
You aren't going to have an easy time connecting to your door lights. These are all controlled by a module in each of the doors. Unless you want to run wiring into one of your doors and make connections post module, this approach is of little to no value.

This also applies to connecting the lights to the door lock circuit. Completely inappropriate for this car and application, especially the front door lock circuit. I could go into a long explanation about how the door locks work, but in the end it wouldn't help you with this project anyway.

Your best bet would be to tie into the courtesy lights in the foot wells. The puddle lights on the bottom of each door illuminate when these come on. If you open your door with the remote, the interior lights should come on (at least briefly). This would give you a power source. I'd be cautious about what kind of current draw you place on the circuit. The interior lighting is controlled by solid state devices, not a relay (which is how dimming is achieved).

Personally, this isn't something I'd ever do, but as other said, to each their own.

dkozloski
12-03-12, 12:18 PM
All the ground effects/puddle light would do is give them more light for a better shot at you.

eatyoursandwich
12-03-12, 02:43 PM
I did this on my IS-F and a friend's IS350. I just spliced it with the dome light wiring and ran a fuse relay.

Concealing the wires was the hardest part.

Only pic I have is of my friend's car.